Chrome vs body color grill pros and cons?

13 minutes ago, Tallish said:

Haha. I learned my Z-71 lesson with the used 2012 I bought.

IMO, too much chrome on the front, bumper, grill, just looks strange on the 1500's. Color matched gives you some contrast between the pieces, and just flows better with the body lines. Always make sure to check the sticker in the glove box for your RPO codes to make sure you are buying what you think you are. Welcome to the site!!!

Edited by JimCost2014

Colored front bumpers and grilles get rock chips and look like crap after a year or two. Chrome don't have that problem. Chrome looks better anyways. But most guys on here don't like chrome. They like black wheels too. Ish.

It's all a matter of what you like though.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 7

I like some chrome. Not into the chrome handles or mirror caps. But chrome bumpers and grille break up the solid color nicely.

It's a good accent if used sparingly.

The plus side to a painted bumper is that they can fix dents in it and repaint it, but that's gonna cost you about as much as replacing a chrome bumper. [emoji2369]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hate the chrome on the front of my truck, I am in the process of painting my grille and headlight bezels. Im probably going to leave the bumpers Chrome and thats it. I also might get them powdercoated black as I can get good prices on powdercoating. Then I would put some clear vinyl over them for a bit of protection.

I'll add this.

If you use your truck on a jobsite (guilty) or look closely at trucks on the road that have "construction/building/home repair" stuff in the bed, the rear bumper should give you an idea of durability. 

As stated above, if it is just used on the street, it's what you enjoy the most.

Edited by Capt Bob
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Colored front bumpers and grilles get rock chips and look like crap after a year or two. Chrome don't have that problem. Chrome looks better anyways. But most guys on here don't like chrome. They like black wheels too. Ish.

It's all a matter of what you like though.

100% agree. I like the chrome on mine and it has enough white as it is. I also like my stock wheels too :thumbs: There is contrast with chrome and that's my personal preference. Now I will say that some people take the chrome to the extreme but it's their truck. Only thing I color matched was my Aeroskin hood deflector and window vents. Like @dieselfan1 mentioned, the rock chips show up a lot more on the painted bumpers and grills...unless you're willing to spend big bucks on the clear bra treatment.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tallish said:

I'm thinking about buying a used Silverado. What are the pros and cons of a grill and trim that's body colored (like on the Custom trim) vs the standard chrome grill and trim? 

I have and love the painted bumpers on my Sierra, but like others have said, they chip. But, I live in central NY, with tons of snow and salt -the bumper on my black 2015 is the only part significantly chipped and may get powder coated this summer.