Chrome vs body color grill pros and cons?

Colored front bumpers and grilles get rock chips and look like crap after a year or two. Chrome don't have that problem. Chrome looks better anyways. But most guys on here don't like chrome. They like black wheels too. Ish.
It's all a matter of what you like though.
I'm a chrome guy

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tallish said:

I'm thinking about buying a used Silverado. What are the pros and cons of a grill and trim that's body colored (like on the Custom trim) vs the standard chrome grill and trim? 

This thread will provide you the support you no matter which colour scheme you choose!  When buying used, colour should be low on the priority list, imo.  Look for the truck in the best condition with your preferred powertrain.  The chances of finding a stock colour combination that you cannot live with is pretty difficult.  However, there are a lot of "pretty" trucks with questionable modifications on the market!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Donstar said:

This thread will provide you the support you no matter which colour scheme you choose!  When buying used, colour should be low on the priority list, imo.  Look for the truck in the best condition with your preferred powertrain.  The chances of finding a stock colour combination that you cannot live with is pretty difficult.  However, there are a lot of "pretty" trucks with questionable modifications on the market!

That's the case even even you're buying new sometimes. I can only find two 2018 Sierras in my area with the max tow package and they're both white SLEs with chrome grills and bumpers. 

Just "Murder" it out bro?  LOL...put the darkest stupid looking taillight covers on it too so I can smash my Chrome bumper into the dumbest and most dangerous thing you could do...OH wait, Please put full 90% tint on every window too!  That way I can smash into you again in grocery store parking lot....because you can't see a damn thing!

Edited by mookdoc6

I use to love chrome when it was chrome and done to a bumper that was an actual bumper. Ditto grill work when chrome was applied to a steel substrate. This stuff they call chrome now reminds me of a cross between shelf paper and model car bright work. I've seen allot of 'chrome' peeling off the noses of allot of trucks of all makes the last two decades. Paint fairs better little except it doesn't normally peel or blister. Just dents, chips and scratches. Protective film is a big plus on paint. 

While it wasn't a selling point when I bought my WT1 the black plastic egg crate nose, bezels and facia has held up really well. Nothing to peel or chip. Yes it has a rock "mark' or two but you have to really look for it. Unnoticeable. Plus, black goes with everything. 

The bumpers will eventually be Line-X inside and out. Inside the rear wheel wells I had done three years ago and not a mark on them. That stuff is ballistic grade. :thumbs: 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
Spelling

3 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Just "Murder" it out bro?  LOL...put the darkest stupid looking taillight covers on it too so I can smash my Chrome bumper into the dumbest and most dangerous thing you could do...OH wait, Please put full 90% tint on every window too!  That way I can smash into you again in grocery store parking lot....because you can't see a damn thing!

I never could understand why someone would sacrifice safety for looks. Not only that the black taillights look f'ing stupid. 

• Like 2

I love my chrome bumper personally. Now people that wrap in chrome are too much (obviously, LOL). But also, I am not a super big fan of too much chrome, like door handles and body side moldings. Actually I got some DL3 mirrors, but I am going to take off my body color caps from my DL8 and put them on the DL3. To me, having two little pieces of chrome on the sides when looking from the front looks weird. Tow mirrors are a different story since they are a bit bigger.

I love my chrome bumper personally. Now people that wrap in chrome are too much (obviously, LOL). But also, I am not a super big fan of too much chrome, like door handles and body side moldings. Actually I got some DL3 mirrors, but I am going to take off my body color caps from my DL8 and put them on the DL3. To me, having two little pieces of chrome on the sides when looking from the front looks weird. Tow mirrors are a different story since they are a bit bigger.
Agreed on the mirrors. Mine are body color. Here in Central Florida we get a ton of bug swarms and dead bugs seem to instantly embed and permanently mark them, so I think I will get a set of black plastic textured ones.

Dad has tow mirrors on his SLT with chrome and I agree those look great. I'd buy some but they're outrageously expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Agreed on the mirrors. Mine are body color. Here in Central Florida we get a ton of bug swarms and dead bugs seem to instantly embed and permanently mark them, so I think I will get a set of black plastic textured ones.

Dad has tow mirrors on his SLT with chrome and I agree those look great. I'd buy some but they're outrageously expensive.

Lovebug season is my least favorite season every year, LOL. Tampa here so I totally get it!

Just now, HeySkippyDog said:

I'm in Oviedo and the Lake Jesup lake bug season is awful. They are attracted to light and they stink when they die. Fairly sure they are little flying vessels of acid.

I'll bring up your complaint with UF since I am a student there and they made these awful things. I know a lot of people from Oviedo actually

I'll bring up your complaint with UF since I am a student there and they made these awful things. I know a lot of people from Oviedo actually
I lived over on the other side of the 417 bridge in Lake Mary for about 10 years. I'm originally from Palm Bay, over on the coast just south of Melbourne. We used to buy the big screwed on hood deflectors for our trucks with snap-on screens to catch the little shits. That helped a lot for bugs. The best I could find nowadays was the Lund bugflector series. No screen though.