Chrome vs body color grill pros and cons?

2 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

I lived over on the other side of the 417 bridge in Lake Mary for about 10 years. I'm originally from Palm Bay, over on the coast just south of Melbourne. We used to buy the big screwed on hood deflectors for our trucks with snap-on screens to catch the little shits. That helped a lot for bugs. The best I could find nowadays was the Lund bugflector series. No screen though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought about getting the color match AVS bug shield, but then I decided ill just use that money to put towards a ceramic coating probably

• Like 1

Yeah I thought about getting the color match AVS bug shield, but then I decided ill just use that money to put towards a ceramic coating probably
I have to give AVS/Lund credit where due... the bugflector does protect the hood from chips and bugs. Mine is not color matched, it's black smoke. But I have graphite metallic paint and it blends good enough. The dealer gave me the first one when I bought it new. 8 months later it peeled and snapped and I had to argue with Lund to replace it. They did, but told me the next one I had to buy.

We'll see about that. I'm a worse pest than the bugs here.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

I have to give AVS/Lund credit where due... the bugflector does protect the hood from chips and bugs. Mine is not color matched, it's black smoke. But I have graphite metallic paint and it blends good enough. The dealer gave me the first one when I bought it new. 8 months later it peeled and snapped and I had to argue with Lund to replace it. They did, but told me the next one I had to buy.

We'll see about that. I'm a worse pest than the bugs here.

Thanks for the info; I will actually take that into consideration and maybe get one anyway now. Because they do have the graphite color match. I also have graphite metallic

24 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

God help you if you have a painted bumper here. Those bugs will peel that paint in no time flat.

You are not kidding...drove from Valdosta Ga to Tallahassee during Lovebug season. Nasty little things, so acidic the birds won’t even eat them. Got up the next day to wash the car (93 Altima) and the paint literally washed off with the water hose. Car was black so I just bought a bra for it and never did get it fixed. Now I wash them off every single time I stop after going through them. Windex and microfiber ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

This is my truck with the black smoke bugflector. It's there, I promise. Blends very well.857bf7b03f3e4afeab086c52adb4942c.jpg

Can't tell its there on the driver side at all in that picture. The light especially makes it blend. I can only see it on passenger edge

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

This is my truck with the black smoke bugflector. It's there, I promise. Blends very well.857bf7b03f3e4afeab086c52adb4942c.jpg

1 minute ago, EpicLT said:

Can't tell its there on the driver side at all in that picture. The light especially makes it blend. I can only see it on passenger edge

I had mine color coded, not sure if they do all colors but you’re right on HeySkippyDog’s truck it blends in great!

AA3C16F8-5F01-4DEB-B409-DA587FBF82F4.jpeg

• Like 1

You are not kidding...drove from Valdosta Ga to Tallahassee during Lovebug season. Nasty little things, so acidic the birds won’t even eat them. Got up the next day to wash the car (93 Altima) and the paint literally washed off with the water hose. Car was black so I just bought a bra for it and never did get it fixed. Now I wash them off every single time I stop after going through them. Windex and microfiber [emoji106] 
Lol. That is not a bad idea. I keep a squeegee in a bucket of windshield washer fluid in my carport for bug season. With mostly chrome and plastic on the front end, I don't worry about the bugs etching anything but they are a real pain to get off of there if you let them bake.

If they bake, And I'm not in the mood, I wash up from cutting the grass and take it to the bikini car wash.

Yes, it's sleazy and they are dressed like strippers before you pay the big bucks for VIP. But they actually use professional grade soaps, waxes, and the girls are actually trained on proper car washing and detail work. It isn't cheap.

They do such a good job, I had my grandmother's Cadillac fully detailed there the morning before Granddad's funeral.

He would have wanted it that way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Lol. That is not a bad idea. I keep a squeegee in a bucket of windshield washer fluid in my carport for bug season. With mostly chrome and plastic on the front end, I don't worry about the bugs etching anything but they are a real pain to get off of there if you let them bake.

If they bake, And I'm not in the mood, I wash up from cutting the grass and take it to the bikini car wash.

Yes, it's sleazy and they are dressed like strippers before you pay the big bucks for VIP. But they actually use professional grade soaps, waxes, and the girls are actually trained on proper car washing and detail work. It isn't cheap.

They do such a good job, I had my grandmother's Cadillac fully detailed there the morning before Granddad's funeral.

He would have wanted it that way.

Sleazy??? I don’t think so ? if we had one here I’d take my neighbors Toyota there and tell them they can use an SOS pad for all care, and to do it twice!

• Haha 1

You can always do what I did and buy silver so that the chrome blends in a lot more.  Finally doing some small exterior mods on my truck though by adding the Denali grill and some rough country led fogs.  Might have to get the front bumper powder coated silver after this if it's just a wall of chrome where before the black grill helped break things up.

The slt grill does a pretty terrible job of keeping leaves and crap out of the radiators, too many big gaping holes.

11 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

With mostly chrome and plastic on the front end, I don't worry about the bugs etching anything but they are a real pain to get off of there if you let them bake.

Here's a tip. take a dryer sheet and spray the front end with a hose then wipe the bugs away. Works like nothing else on the planet. So simple. They you just have to wash off the dryer sheet residue with normal wash.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, swoleymammoth said:

Love the painted grill/bumpers on my z71 but like others have said....so many chips! Considering getting one of those AVS Bugflectors to see if that actually helps with the hood. Might get some clearbra type product eventually too. 

I had to correct rock chips on my hood on the first day driving the truck off the dealership. Within a week I bought a bugflector. I haven't seen a chip on the hood since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srphoenix said:

You can always do what I did and buy silver so that the chrome blends in a lot more.  Finally doing some small exterior mods on my truck though by adding the Denali grill and some rough country led fogs.  Might have to get the front bumper powder coated silver after this if it's just a wall of chrome where before the black grill helped break things up.

The slt grill does a pretty terrible job of keeping leaves and crap out of the radiators, too many big gaping holes.

I pick stuff out all the time...thought about putting something like this (maybe not so textured but chrome or maybe even black) BEHIND my stock grill so it doesn't look too pimped out LOL, should be fairly subtle if set behind the grill, just don't know if the active grill shutters will allow this.

mesh%20grille-ss%202_5mm%20wob.jpg

Edited by SS502
  • Thanks 1

See pic of painted bumper on 2014 all terrain, never again.

That bumper was repainted by dealer after first year, and looked like this when I traded it in on my 2018 with chrome bumper.

20171226_094900.jpg