2014-2016 Brake Recall Soon? - Vacuum Pump Failure

41 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

My invoice says they measured the vacuum pump at 3 where it was supposed to be like 27. If you give them the tsb number and tell them the brakes get hard after repeated slow speed stops that should be all they need.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Was it a quick repair?  Same day, next day?

Thanks for the info...

I have a early appointment Wednesday.  Cross my fingers.  
Print out the tsb and bring it with you. They need to check upstream from the vacuum pump to make sure oil didn't get into other brake parts

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, ShamrockShooter said:

Sounds like the hard / stiff brake pedal issue caused by the vacuum assist pump is headed closer to a recall. Almost 500 official complaints to NHTSA so far. They are rolling in 1 to 2 complaints a day.

Check out this letter to GM

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2018/INIM-PE18012-74378.pdf

Yep, I just spent $1,700 replacing the pump & brake booster last week. 2 weeks before that, dropped another $1,700 to replace cracked HVAC condenser & compressor. And in January the HMI for the touchscreen sh** the bed for a whopping $1,800. I do have 80k Highway miles on the truck but they’re gentle miles & the interior still looks/smells new. I have an ‘04 Sierra with over 200k on it & only had to replace an instrument cluster. I logged a complaint with NHTSA on the brake issue, so hopefully I’ll get reimbursed for some of that cost soon, but not holding my breath. For $50k, these trucks sure are temperamental. 

Yep, I just spent $1,700 replacing the pump & brake booster last week. 2 weeks before that, dropped another $1,700 to replace cracked HVAC condenser & compressor. And in January the HMI for the touchscreen sh** the bed for a whopping $1,800. I do have 80k Highway miles on the truck but they’re gentle miles & the interior still looks/smells new. I have an ‘04 Sierra with over 200k on it & only had to replace an instrument cluster. I logged a complaint with NHTSA on the brake issue, so hopefully I’ll get reimbursed for some of that cost soon, but not holding my breath. For $50k, these trucks sure are temperamental. 
Well on the bright side, you knocked all the problems out at once. It should be smooth sailing from here. The 100,000 mile 7 year warranty was about $3900 when I bought my truck which seems like a lot but repairs like yours make them worth the calculated gamble.

49 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

www.nhtsa.gov big button on front page for report a problem.

Just did. Luckily i have emails too from the dealership saying there isn't a problem...

• 1 month later...

I just had mine replaced by the dealer. There is a "special policy" warranty set up for this problem. Mine was paid for by GM even though I have 70k on my 2015 Silverado. Check with your dealer before you repair it. I will go ahead and report mine.

Here is the extended warranty for the pump

N182202780 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Brake Assist Decreased Due to Vacuum Loss

GLOBAL SAFETY FIELD INVESTIGATIONS

DCS5013

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date:       April 10, 2019

Subject:   N182202780 - Special Coverage

Brake Assist Decreased due to Vacuum Loss

Models:   2014 – 2017 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV

2014 – 2017 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2014 – 2017 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

To:           All General Motors Dealers

General Motors is releasing Special Coverage N182202780 today.  The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 3,357,584.  Please see the attached bulletin for details. 

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 6 years or 72,000 miles (116,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after April 10, 2019 for US, (April 11, 2019 for Canada), are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to April 10, 2019 for US, (April 11, 2019 for Canada), must be submitted to the Service Contract provider. Vehicle owners or lessees who paid for repairs referenced in this Special Coverage (“Customers”) are eligible for reimbursement of their reasonable and customary expenses in accordance with the procedures specified below.

1 hour ago, cmurf70 said:

I just had mine replaced by the dealer. There is a "special policy" warranty set up for this problem. Mine was paid for by GM even though I have 70k on my 2015 Silverado. Check with your dealer before you repair it. I will go ahead and report mine.

Yours was under the 72K requirement.

Unfortunately after 5-6 years most K2 owners are not.

• 3 weeks later...

I  received my letter announcing the special coverage for the "increased brake pedal effort" yesterday.  Has anyone else received this notice? 

Coincidentally, on April 19th, I experienced a very severe "hard brake pedal" while going thru a drive-thru.  In ~51,000 miles, this is the 2nd time this problem has occurred.  This last instance was quite memorable.  i am a large guy and had to use a lot of force on the pedal to keep the vehicle from rolling forward while idling in drive.  I honestly don't believe my 120 lb wife could have applied enough force to keep the vehicle stationary.  The April 19th "hard pedal" lasted several minutes thru many brake applications while idling in drive.  With cars ahead and people walking in-front of vehicle in the drive-thru, I wasn't about to troubleshoot and experiment with different engine RPM to see if vacuum could be restored.  Shutting vehicle off and turning back on did not restore the braking.  

A quick internet search quickly yielded volumes of info regarding this issue.  I reported the safety problem thru  NHTSA's website on 4/20/19.  Kind of interesting that less then 2 weeks later the special coverage notice is received by mail. 

Does anyone know if dealer can identify faulty vacuum pump with so few occurrences of failure over 3.5 years?  I dread being charged for something that very clearly matches the described hard brake pedal condition though would unlikely be able to be duplicated.  My vehicle did not throw a DTC code or "Service brake assist" alert as mentioned in the Notice.  Also, the Notice mentioning "failing to follow recommended oil change intervals" contributing to this issue seems like a "deny service card" and a bit of distraction from a known defect.  My vehicle has been pampered with ~5000mile OCI's since new with the recommended oil.   I do understand how the vacuum pump is lubricated with engine oil.

Vehicle is a 2015 Suburban LTZ with ~51,000miles.