In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
NHUSA

Rust mitigation

Wow Unless I missed something this is a dead group.

I am surprised that a New England group doesn't have a long string discussing how to fix rust on their truck.

I lost a 2003 Silverado extended cab Z71 just a few days ago due to excessive rust.

We redid the rocker panels, cab corners, and rear wheel arches a few years ago but it came back on the arches so I gave up.

I got a 2013 Silverado without body rust but it has a little on the frame at the back by the trailer hitch.

I am looking at methods to protect it that are simple and wonder what experience others have.

There seem to be two approaches after removing the loose stuff. 

One in to use a rust reformer and the other is a primer that will go over rust.

Rustoleum  seems to be a popular alternative with either a primer or reformer but Por-15 has been used for may years.

What experience do you have?

I've been thinking of doing a full bed removal and then a product called KBS. My 01 is okay but needs to be taken care of.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.