Factory GM spray in bedliner, just my thoughts on it.

Just a quick observation on the factory spray in bedliner.  After looking over my truck and installing the bed cover, here is my thoughts.

1. This factory or should I say GM SIBL is exactly what one would think, not a very high quality product.

2. It is very thin.

3. They didn't spray up under the bed rail.

4. It doesn't even looked like the bed was sanded.

I wish I had the option to not have it on the truck but it comes with the package.  I guess we will see how well it holds up.  I know you will ask, why do you need it sprayed up under the bed rail. I probably don't, but it could have at least went up a little higher under there than just cutting off at the bottom of where the rail edge hangs over into the bed, it isn't even painted black like the rest of the truck. Just the primer like what you see on the underside of the body.

It kind of looks like they take the truck, tape off everything but the bed and then robot arms come in and spray the liner and that is it, which is probably exactly how it is applied.  I wonder if they even sand the bed.

Again, just my thought on this.  Considering what one pays for these new vehicles, one would think there would be a little better quality on something like this.

• Like 3

I was given the option to have it done at the dealership and after looking at the ones on the lot came to the same conclusion you have. Cheap job done with cheap materials without the proper prep work.

That said the one thing I did like about the factory coat was the way the tailgate was masked for the floor. When Line-X did mine they sprayed so thick that the tailgate can no longer be adjusted dead flush. Most don't notice it but I do and it bugs me. The one place where the factory got cheap and it paid off.  

• Like 2

I will agree that the product thickness seems less than my previous LINEX but it doesn't appear inferior to me. Coverage is adequate to provide protection and the adhesion seems fine. Personally, I installed a BedRug on my last truck as well as this one and for me, that's the way to go.

I have had Linex sprayed in four trucks by two different Linex dealers and none were sprayed under the bed rails.  I had to go back over those four trucks with cleaner or clay bar to remove their primer/preparation spray from the paint, glass etc.  My last two had the factory spray in liner and have not had any issues.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, Black02Silverado said:

Just a quick observation on the factory spray in bedliner.  After looking over my truck and installing the bed cover, here is my thoughts.

1. This factory or should I say GM SIBL is exactly what one would think, not a very high quality product.

2. It is very thin.

3. They didn't spray up under the bed rail.

4. It doesn't even looked like the bed was sanded.

I wish I had the option to not have it on the truck but it comes with the package.  I guess we will see how well it holds up.  I know you will ask, why do you need it sprayed up under the bed rail. I probably don't, but it could have at least went up a little higher under there than just cutting off at the bottom of where the rail edge hangs over into the bed, it isn't even painted black like the rest of the truck. Just the primer like what you see on the underside of the body.

It kind of looks like they take the truck, tape off everything but the bed and then robot arms come in and spray the liner and that is it, which is probably exactly how it is applied.  I wonder if they even sand the bed.

Again, just my thought on this.  Considering what one pays for these new vehicles, one would think there would be a little better quality on something like this.

I would imagine they are sanded.  Pretty sure they are all hand sprayed as well. 

GM does the liners off site.  Fort Wayne has a building a road over from the plant.  Ground Effects LTD is who sprays them for GM, Ultimate Linings is the brand.  Ultimate Linings also does the Ford and Ram spray liners. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My current truck has the GM drop-in bedliner and a spray in one would have been a better way to go. The bedliner cost me nothing as the dealer really wanted to move the truck. I would have an aftermarket guy do the spray-in lining and get a better job for the same price as the factory charges. 

A friend bought a commercial kit and made the cost back with the first two trucks he treated for the local dealer. Figure on about $30 worth of product with a $350 bedliner coating job.

7 hours ago, RivieraGS said:

I have had Linex sprayed in four trucks by two different Linex dealers and none were sprayed under the bed rails.  I had to go back over those four trucks with cleaner or clay bar to remove their primer/preparation spray from the paint, glass etc.  My last two had the factory spray in liner and have not had any issues.

The girl that prepped and shot my Line-X asked me how much I wanted done and did it. Full coverage plus the rear wheel wells. Stripped the wells,  bed and tailgate, prep and shoot. Zero overspray on any exterior surface.  Very nice job. She's moved on to another shop so I need to find a new dealer but the bumpers are next. Love this product. Not so much the dealer network granted, but there are good ones out there. Just have to find them. Job now three years old and looks new yet. Easy to clean. Did I mention I love this product? :D

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 11:50 AM, Black02Silverado said:

I wish I had the option to not have it on the truck but it comes with the package.

You could get a "spray in bedliner delete" on the K2 High Country and Denali. Is that not a thing anymore?