So Tell Us About Dynamic Fuel Management in Your 2019 T1's

2 hours ago, eppieguy said:

I do not, once in awhile if I turn the radio off and I really pay attention I can fell / hear a slight tiny lugging / vibration in which I assume is the AFM, but I really have to try to feel it and I'm not even 100% sure thats what it is! 

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

That sounds similar to what I experience with my Sierra.  You can feel a slight minor tugging sensation and a very subtle vibration.

I think I have noticed that same feeling. I would describe it as when I'm maintaining speed and start to go up a small incline, the engine is trying to maintain momentum with a larger load right before it kicks back to V8. I don't know if that vibration is from the exhaust or not. I figured its what the people with modified exhaust call "drone".

It reminds me of our 4 cylinder tacoma at work, when you want to pass someone, it first tries to accelerate in top gear before it downshifts and makes a similar sound/feeling. But like Drew said, if I wasn't paying attention to it, it wouldn't be noticeable in my truck. My wife has no clue, and she's sensitive to noise, lol.

3 hours ago, Eds240z06 said:

I had a 15 5.3L. With a short commute I would fill up every 2 weeks like clock work every other Monday morning. Same commute in my 19 5.3L and would fill up in 8 days. 

Well, the 19 does have a smaller tank so I hope you’re taking that into account. I have to fill up more often too, but as far as economy, this 19 6.2 is almost identical to the 16 5.3 I had, and maybe even better in certain situations.

I only *slightly* notice DFM with the radio off, as others have said. In my opinion, it’s approximately 300 times better than the AFM in my ‘16 which I really grew to hate. It would hesitate to kick back into V8 and then do it very abruptly. Also, the exhaust flapper would squeak and rattle like crazy all of the time and I just didn’t enjoy it much after awhile.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Well, the 19 does have a smaller tank so I hope you’re taking that into account. I have to fill up more often too, but as far as economy, this 19 6.2 is almost identical to the 16 5.3 I had, and maybe even better in certain situations.

I only *slightly* notice DFM with the radio off, as others have said. In my opinion, it’s approximately 300 times better than the AFM in my ‘16 which I really grew to hate. It would hesitate to kick back into V8 and then do it very abruptly. Also, the exhaust flapper would squeak and rattle like crazy all of the time and I just didn’t enjoy it much after awhile.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know the tank was smaller. I feel a lot better now. 

I agree with with you on the DFM hardly notice it. On my 15 I brought it in twice for the squeaking while it was under warranty. Mine sounded like a bird chirping every time it would switch to V4.

Like most here I also feel it's virtually seamless. I would say that if you didn't know that there was this function, it would never cross your mind that anything was happening.

Agree with all of the above - try and notice it, yeah you may convince yourself you can tell (change in MPG etc) but far less noticable than my 2015. The 2015 would noiticably feel different after getting on the throttle when V4 was displayed switching out of AFM.

I'm also glad my transmission, the 8spd feels better than the old 6. I felt the 6 was "guessing" sometimes in corners, from down hill to uphill etc.

Looking forward to Summer to see how the 8spd does with the boat behind it compared to the 6spd.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm in the feel a slight vibration boat.  Not terrible, but if you're looking for it you'll feel it.  I'm the type of person though, it drives me crazy.  Spoke to the Range tech people today and they have a 19 silverado and are developing the disabler for the DFM.  I will personally be waiting for the day it is finished and order one immediately.  Government Motors needs to let me decide if I want that crap or not, along with the wonderful "feature" that is auto start/stop.  Whoever came up with the idea of putting that on a truck with no option of permanently disabling it should be punished severely.  Why do I have to push another button to undo what I don't want EVERY time I crank my truck?  

Sorry.  Rant over

3 hours ago, Robwcormack said:

I'm in the feel a slight vibration boat.  Not terrible, but if you're looking for it you'll feel it.  I'm the type of person though, it drives me crazy.  Spoke to the Range tech people today and they have a 19 silverado and are developing the disabler for the DFM.  I will personally be waiting for the day it is finished and order one immediately.  Government Motors needs to let me decide if I want that crap or not, along with the wonderful "feature" that is auto start/stop.  Whoever came up with the idea of putting that on a truck with no option of permanently disabling it should be punished severely.  Why do I have to push another button to undo what I don't want EVERY time I crank my truck?  

Sorry.  Rant over

I will be doing the same, supposedly it will disable the auto start stop as well too, win win!

5 hours ago, Robwcormack said:

Sorry.  Rant over

Yep, Gov standards for MPG is driving it. Ford has it too. Same with DFM, complications waiting to fail, all for MPG. Always vote right  (uh correctly)  and then you still have to hope for the best.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, fish_guru said:

I cannot tell that it's shutting down cylinders. It has been imperceptible, to me, so far.

As far as MPG, my new 6.2 is getting the same MPG's as my old 5.3 so I'm pretty happy with it.

The only thing I worry about is longevity at this point...it's just too new to know.

This!! AFM was good till the miles started adding up. 50,000 should tell us something more about DFM. ??

On 2/14/2019 at 12:25 PM, Eds240z06 said:

I had a 15 5.3L. With a short commute I would fill up every 2 weeks like clock work every other Monday morning. Same commute in my 19 5.3L and would fill up in 8 days. 

8 spd shifts flawlessly so far and can’t feel the switching to V4

Edited by jagabom

Just traded my 2018 Yukon XL in for a 2019 1500 Sierra Denali 4WD 5.3. The DFM vehicle is seamless, where the AFM  was jerky. Haven't owned it long enough to compare mileage but the 5.3/3.08 geared Yukon never got more than 18.5 mpg (hand calculated not DIC) from watching the DIC it would appear that the Denali is getting better mileage. It certainly runs much smoother and seems more powerful.

Edited by Charlie Richardson
  • Like 1