Denali Winter Tire - Toyo Observe G3 Ice 275/50/22

The stock Bridegeston Deuler Alenza tires are horrible, bordering on unsafe in the cold and snow. I've had the Alenza's on a Sequoia and Yukon and it felt like I was wearing dress shoes on a hockey rink while trying not to spill my beer.   I looked at the options for 285/45/22; this tire is 2.1% smaller, while not a big change for the speedometer, I didn't want to give up the extra sidewall height.  The next size, 305/45/22 was same height, but over an inch wider. The GM service department deemed would they would rub when turning. 

If i'm not mistaken,  the Toyo Observe G3 Ice Studdable tires are the only winter tire that is the same size as the OEM Alenza tires on the Denali 22's. I am partial to the 22's.  I had the dealer put them on before even leaving the lot. Consumer reports has this tire rated as mid-upper pack in winter tires (I think it's listed as passenger car tire.) The tread is fairly substantial for a hwy biased/non-off A/T road tire. I didn't have any experience with the brand or tire, but with all the options available,  it seemed worth a try.

It has been snowing heavily and below freezing temps for the last week and the truck feels like a tank, completely unstoppable. Well that is until I want to stop- then the tires work their magic there also. Cornering has also been without drama. They haven't been loud on the hwy's and the wet stopping distance seems really good, (this was the main criticism from CR.) Really happy with them overall so far. 

The only problem is what to do with the waste-of- good-rubber Alenza's come spring time. Fingers crossed for more OEM sized options. 

3 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

305/45-22's do not rub, I have the Nitto TG's in that size on my OEM 22" wheels, zero rubbing, all is good. 

Thanks- The Terra Grapplers were the the 305's i was considering originally. How do you like them? 

3 minutes ago, LakeFever said:

Thanks- The Terra Grapplers were the the 305's i was considering originally. How do you like them? 

I love them, I've run them on all my trucks since my 2004 Tahoe, I always get 60k plus out of them and still sell them on CL for a few bucks. I've got no complaints. 

You are only the umteenth million person to discover that the tires GM gives us from the factory are garbage. They are cheap tires designed for nothing but fuel economy on dry roads in the summer. You should be fine to change yours back when the snow is gone. Most people don't have the space or $$ to keep 2 full sets of tires for winter/summer. But you may not want to waste your good winter tread driving in warm months. If you can have a set of each and change them each spring/fall you will enjoy the best of both worlds.