265/70R18 vs 275/70R18? KO2 vs Wildpeak AT3W?

Stuck between tire sizes... The tires will be bf goodrich ko2s. The 265/70R18s are 32.6" high and 55.29lbs a tire. The 275/70R18s are 33.2" high and 57.21lbs a tire. They will be going on a 2017 gmc crew cab with 6.5' box which has a 2"level. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to going with one tire vs the other? The load capacity doesn't matter as i don't tow anything heavy enough to worry about a 100lbs difference. Thanks! 

I got the 265/70r18 because I wanted a narrower tire for the winter with some more height than stock. So far so good and they really fit the truck well. It is a bit of an obscure size but I've found that it's cheaper than stock in most cases.

13 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Go big!

Or go home!

All kidding aside I would go with the 275 70 18 like everyone else says .

They will fit no prob ?

Edited by dieselfan1

I understand your dilemma.  I can see the appeal to both sizes and believe I  would choose the lighter tire.  The difference in looks and function is not enough to justify any hit in mpg, imo.  If the size difference was greater, then my choice might be different. ;-)

Bigger the wheels/tires = less power to the ground. More rotational mass, and your effectively lowering your gear ratio with taller tires. That being said, tire width is your friend if your fighting for traction, but weight is the enemy.

9 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Bigger the wheels/tires = less power to the ground. More rotational mass, and your effectively lowering your gear ratio with taller tires. That being said, tire width is your friend if your fighting for traction, but weight is the enemy.

Nicely explained.  Wider width tires provide greater traction in most situations and narrow tires are often preferred in snowy conditions.  A 265 width tire is still a pretty wide tire and will provide great traction in most conditions.  The 1 cm of width difference between 265 and 275 will not be noticeable by most.  If Op went to 285/65/18 then he would have the same  diameter tire as his proposed 265/70/18 size.  This would look good and be a compromise between the two selections.   If you pay attention to mpg, larger and/or heavier tires will have an impact.  My current truck is the first in many years that I didn't go at least one size up.  The selection of tires in stock sizes is excellent and will be the most efficient.  I appreciate the bigger is better mantra has some meaning from a visual perspective. I believe that if you're going to go big, make it noticeable!

The only difference that you will notice is the lower MPGs for the bigger & heavier tire. Traction will not be noticeably different.

I find it funny that people think you get more traction with a wider tire. That is 100% false. The only difference it makes is if you are in sand or mud, you might "sink" in less due to the larger footprint. You are not gaining any friction (traction) by choosing a wider tire.

Yes, narrower tires are better in deep snow because they have to push less snow out of the way = less resistance.

But since you are even considering it, go ahead and get the wider one if that is what you want.

The only difference that you will notice is the lower MPGs for the bigger & heavier tire. Traction will not be noticeably different.

I find it funny that people think you get more traction with a wider tire. That is 100% false. The only difference it makes is if you are in sand or mud, you might "sink" in less due to the larger footprint. You are not gaining any friction (traction) by choosing a wider tire.

Yes, narrower tires are better in deep snow because they have to push less snow out of the way = less resistance.

But since you are even considering it, go ahead and get the wider one if that is what you want.

Correct, this is why I chose 295/60/20’s 34” 11.5” wide versus 12.50” wide. Not only do narrower tires cut through snow better but cuts through deeper water better too. Wider tires also use more HP due to more resistance from a wider tire.

Sent from above
  • Like 2