5.3l with DOD replaced with non DOD engine using the same PCM

2011 1500 silverado cane with 5.3l AFM system, due to engine failure I’m planning to replace it because it’s much cheaper than repairing it, so the  engine I’m looking to go farward with not equipped with AFM hardware,

my question is: will it work fine with my stock PCM  parameters & using tuner to deactivate DOD??

6 hours ago, wslr85 said:

2011 1500 silverado cane with 5.3l AFM system, due to engine failure I’m planning to replace it because it’s much cheaper than repairing it, so the  engine I’m looking to go farward with not equipped with AFM hardware,

my question is: will it work fine with my stock PCM  parameters & using tuner to deactivate DOD??

What year and engine?  2010-2014 Gen IV 5.3 engines have AFM and VVT.  2007-2009 Gen IV engines have AFM and do not have VVT.  All Gen IV 6.0 and 6.2 have VVT but not all have AFM.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swathdiver said:

What year and engine?  2010-2014 Gen IV 5.3 engines have AFM and VVT.  2007-2009 Gen IV engines have AFM and do not have VVT.  All Gen IV 6.0 and 6.2 have VVT but not all have AFM.

As I’ve been told its 2009, iron block, but it does not have the AFM plate or the spring lifters, not sure about the VVT, how to make sure??

A 2009 originally came with AFM and without VVT.  There were two iron block engines the LY5 and LMG, the latter was Flex Fuel.  

A VVT motor has an electrical connector and access plate on the front cover over the camshaft, look at your truck's motor.  The non VVT will have a plain cover.

If someone deleted AFM on that 2009, you'll want to know what camshaft they used, just replacing the De-Ac lifters with standard ones without changing the camshaft will cause misfires as the lobes on the AFM cylinders are of a different height.  

What happened to your motor exactly?

It has a connector in the front, so its VVT??

Vavle on cylinder 4 felt & hit by the piston, cylinder head, valve, piston & more are dameged, even cylinder wall too, so I just removed the heads & from what i saw was enough to let me decide to change the motor,

the engine is 6.2l so I can’t use any parts from it, truck came originally with 5.3l, 3 years ago I swapped it to 6.2l, and now returning it to stock again, 

3 hours ago, wslr85 said:

It has a connector in the front, so its VVT??

Vavle on cylinder 4 felt & hit by the piston, cylinder head, valve, piston & more are dameged, even cylinder wall too, so I just removed the heads & from what i saw was enough to let me decide to change the motor,

the engine is 6.2l so I can’t use any parts from it, truck came originally with 5.3l, 3 years ago I swapped it to 6.2l, and now returning it to stock again, 

The front cover and connector is like your 6.2 motor?  I would say then that that engine is either not a 2009 or has been gone into and put together with various parts.  Sorry to hear about the 6.2, great motors.

Yes its the same, the problem is he buys many  engines from UAE which comes from the states  , so no chassis  number to track, and its not labeled from the junkyard so we can identify it.

Don’t be sorry, that how it is with motors, it was great & powerful, I’ll miss it.

thanks for your info

• Like 1

I have a question if any one could help??

what will happen if I didn’t turn off the AFM on the ECU and:

1/there is no hardware in the engine, just the AFM valley cover connected??

2/without the AFM valley cover & no hardware ??