Six speed trans life expectancy

On 6/19/2019 at 12:38 PM, Wormydog1724 said:

Just replaced my transmission, GM reman 3yr/100k warranty

2014 Silverado LT

5.3L motor

6.5" lift with 35" tires

Serviced the transmission at 60k miles

Turned over 120k and transmission died at 120,025. 

Tech guy said pump failed or torque converter, heat killed it.

I'm worried about my motor now.

If you did service on your trans at 120k and then went out 25 miles later I would say that the mechanic probably has something to do with it.

If it helps anyone I have a 2019 Legacy Silverado. So I have parts of both 19 and 18 models. I have a 6 speed with 3.42. My tech guy says GM recommends 45k to change trans and filter but he recommends more at 35k to 40k. And with regular trucks no towing at least at 60k to 70k. At 100k have the sensors and computer checked out too because the computer and sensors can also destroy the trans because remember everything is computer controlled.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 4:14 PM, jvanwinkle2 said:

My 14 is getting a new transmission. Gm has it on order right now. 110k. Pump failed. I bought it at 85k. Did transmission fluid and filter change along with all other fluids. 

This pump failure is the most common problem I've heard about on these trucks.  A coworker is having pump/pressure issues on his 2014 and another coworker had their pump fail on their 2016 Tahoe at 120,000 miles and they needed a new transmission.  Very disheartening to read how common this is.

of course all the Toyota owners around me are driving 200k+ miles on their original transmissions :fume:

The only good side to mine is I'm getting a new gm transmission with a new warranty on the trans. Fist time I have bought extended warranty. so glad that I'm actually using it, since I paid for it. I bought it with the engine in mine.