What’s the best Truck Battery available and why?

https://carfromjapan.com/article/car-maintenance/best-car-battery-review/

I’m looking into the Optima “Yellow top” being that I want the battery to power added accessories in cold or hot environment. I’m also open to and interested in possibly having a heavier duty alternator installed too. Any experience in long lasting powerful batteries would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Haha 1

I’d get the Odyssey. It’s cheaper than the Optima, has better specs and it’s a direct fit. Optimas are only good in custom applications like boats, hot rods, etc. that’s even how they advertise their product. 

There is a reason the Odyssey is number one on that list and the yellow top is number 6

• Like 2

I’d get the Odyssey. It’s cheaper than the Optima, has better specs and it’s a direct fit. Optimas are only good in custom applications like boats, hot rods, etc. that’s even how they advertise their product. 

There is a reason the Odyssey is number one on that list and the yellow top is number 6

You may just have something there [emoji1303]

Batteries have really come a long way.

Sent from above

I got into this back when I was messing with a Wrangler. Do some research and find out who makes what battery. You'll find that the same company making a name brand $$$ battery is also making the auto parts store brand name battery, with the latter being the same battery for less $$. Example, back then (10 years, mind you) I found that O'Reilly's AGM batteries were made like this and cheaper than the "name brand", so I went to those. I don't remember the details now, but I pretty much only buy their AGM batteries for my and my kids vehicles. I've had nothing but good service out of them, so I don't change.

AGM will cost more, and serve you better. Spend the money.

Go ahead and get dual post. If you add a winch, extra lights, whatever...it gives you the option to run off of separate posts from the main cables.

Also, don't be sold on Optima because of the name. Again a while ago, they were sold and the quality went down substantially. A lot of the die hard Optima Jeep guys stopped buying them. In the time frame, might not matter any more. But, be aware it happened.

Hope some of that helps.

• Like 3

I got into this back when I was messing with a Wrangler. Do some research and find out who makes what battery. You'll find that the same company making a name brand $$$ battery is also making the auto parts store brand name battery, with the latter being the same battery for less $$. Example, back then (10 years, mind you) I found that O'Reilly's AGM batteries were made like this and cheaper than the "name brand", so I went to those. I don't remember the details now, but I pretty much only buy their AGM batteries for my and my kids vehicles. I've had nothing but good service out of them, so I don't change.

AGM will cost more, and serve you better. Spend the money.

Go ahead and get dual post. If you add a winch, extra lights, whatever...it gives you the option to run off of separate posts from the main cables.

Also, don't be sold on Optima because of the name. Again a while ago, they were sold and the quality went down substantially. A lot of the die hard Optima Jeep guys stopped buying them. In the time frame, might not matter any more. But, be aware it happened.

Hope some of that helps.

You’re right about Optima, they’re now being manufactured in Mexico. It’s crazy just how much batteries have evolved. I used Optima batteries in my lifted land cruisers and always had issues due to not being able to deal with heat. Land Cruisers actually have a sealed battery compartment that over heated the Optima batteries. In my RangeRovers, always used DieHard batteries with zero issues. Today, it’s a different ball game. I’ll be purchasing a couple new batteries and want the best available for my truck and SUV’s. I just want to have the option to mount or not mount lighting or other extras

Sent from above

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

You’re right about Optima, they’re now being manufactured in Mexico. It’s crazy just how much batteries have evolved. I used Optima batteries in my lofted land cruisers and always had issues due to not being able to deal with heat. Land Cruisers actually have a sealed battery compartment that over heated the Optima batteries. In my RangeRovers, always used DieHard batteries with zero issues. Today, it’s a different ball game. I’ll be purchasing a couple new batteries and want the best available for my truck and SUV’s. I just want to have the option to mount or not mount lighting or other extras

Sent from above

Yeah, I remember that now...manufacturing got moved and quality went down.

I like dual posts. When I replace the truck battery, I'll put one in with them. I might not use them, but if I want to, they'll already be there.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on. Always good to have current info on batteries.

• Like 1

Yeah, I remember that now...manufacturing got moved and quality went down.

I like dual posts. When I replace the truck battery, I'll put one in with them. I might not use them, but if I want to, they'll already be there.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on. Always good to have current info on batteries.

Found lots of negatives on Optima batteries, here’s one that hits home
9c53bd54d1c376f83b3ebf61c39a6e6c.jpg

Sent from above
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yep, that's around the time I had the Wrangler I did mods to. On the forums I was active on, it was almost amazing to watch the mass exodus from Optima.

They still sell a lot of batteries, but I won't buy one. Too many good options to gamble on a potentially bad one.

• Like 1

I have a 14 year old optima yellow top in my 1979 k10. I am OCD about battery maintenance and keep it on a Tender. Truck gets driven 2 or 3 times a week. Had to jump start my neighbors Cummings with it last year. No problem.

I must have one of the US production batteries. 

Wondering how long my 2018 Delco battery will last in the Sierra. From reading forum posts seems like they die just out of the 3yr warranty.

+1 on Interstate batteries. I have had great luck with them.

There is a Interstate store near me and I can buy factory rejects pretty cheap. They all are great on performance normally there is a problem with the color of the top not being just right or something similar.

They come with the same warranty.

Tom

• Like 2

Never had problems with 4-5+ Optima yellow and blue tops, but knew that Johnson Controls had taken them over a while ago.

I now have a Northstar battery (made in USA) because it had great reviews, and it was one of the few Group 94R AGM batteries I could find at the time (Optima claimed to have one, but found only trade show references).

Interstate batteries are made by Johnson controls, same as Optima but different specs I would imagine.

I'd put Northstar and Odyssey as both excellent USA made AGM batteries that you can't go wrong with.

batteriesplus.com is give a 20% off truck battery sale right now: CDP13175: 20% Off

One difference between Northstar and Odyssey is the warranty: 60month versus 36month

Edited by ftwhite
  • Like 1