Long Term Resale Value - RST or Trail Boss?

41 minutes ago, Chris walker said:

1)Domestic half ton pick up

2) Good resale value

^^^Pick one :D

I'm sure there will be some that disagree but from what I've seen the domestic trucks hold their value about as well as the German luxury cars. The only thing that seems to hold its value are Japanese vehicles.

The only domestic trucks that seem to hold their value are the 2500/250 series diesels. 

I had my ‘16 Sierra for about 3 years, 25k miles. I got over 75% of what I paid for it when I traded it in. If I sold private party it would have been probably 80% or more of the new cost. It is now listed on their site for 5k less than I paid brand new, which is staggering to me. I know I’m not an outlier here either. I hear a lot of other people on this forum doing very well when it’s time to upgrade. I would put GM trucks up against anything as far as depreciation.

• Like 2

Unless you live in Texas. Even when gas was $4 a gallon domestic trucks were still the number 1 seller's. Here a TB will hold it's value better because it's "lifted" and has off road tires.

We know it's only a $1k kit but most people off the street don't know the cost of the parts and what it takes. They just see a lifted truck and that's what they want.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the points of view. The current 16 I have now was not the truck I went to buy, but when I saw the white Texas edition with 22 inch black rims with all the options, I just couldn't not buy it (especially for 13 k off msrp). I am affraid if I walk in and see a trail boss it will be all over, and I won't buy the RST which will probably be more practical price and mpg.

It will probably come down to finding the right color and options I want. If I can find it in an RST and save $3k, I can always add a lift and swap the grille.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1)Domestic half ton pick up

2) Good resale value

^^^Pick one [emoji3]

I'm sure there will be some that disagree but from what I've seen the domestic trucks hold their value about as well as the German luxury cars. The only thing that seems to hold its value are Japanese vehicles.

The only domestic trucks that seem to hold their value are the 2500/250 series diesels. 

I think you are confusing trucks with domestic CARS; both sierra (4) and silverado (6) are in top 10 for resale value of all vehicles according to kbb - and that is using msrp which the top models (taco, wrangler) dont have much discounts on. Considering actual paid price, the gmts may actually be the best value going...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the only thing we can all agree on is that a Dodge Ram can be had for a 6 pack and a bag of chips after 3 to 4 years. At least up here in the salt belt as that is about how long it takes for them to rust holes in the fenders.

I just priced out a three year old Dodge Chevy and Ford v8 mid level package with 36k miles trade value on KBB. The Chevy and Ford where almost the same price Dodge was less. When you consider Chevy usually has better incentives than Ford, I would say it held it's value as a percentage of purchase price price slightly better

• 1 month later...

So I'm having a hard time finding a loaded RST in the color I want with the options I want. It seems easier to find an LT trail boss with what I want. MSRP $55k to $56k is about the same but Trail Boss has $2k less in rebates. So do you think it would be worth the extra $32 a month for 6 years to get a Trail Boss?

I was in a similar dilemma deciding between the XLT at $10,000 off MSRP or the Lariat at $4,000 off MSRP. The Lariat held value much better.

My 2012 Ford F-150 was bought new for $29,000, down from $39,000 and traded in for $24,000 four years later. The retained value was a damn impressive 84%. My 2016 Ford F-150 didn't do well, it held 77% of its value after three years.

Keep in mind that's the trade-in value, not what the dealership's asking for. Strangely, my 2012 Ford F-150 was actually over 100% because the dealership that bought it from me asked for $29,999 - almost the same price I bought it at.

At the end, I learned that I'd get about $7,000 more with the Ford F-150 Lariat so I lost a little more by buying the Ford F-150 XLT at $10,000 off MSRP.

I also look into resale when I buy new trucks. I don't buy cars anymore for that very reason. For me, it was the Dodge RAM at $15,000 off or Chevrolet at $10,000 off. Ford was only $4k off so I went for Chevy instead.

Edited by Wiggums

I was in a similar dilemma deciding between the XLT at $10,000 off MSRP or the Lariat at $4,000 off MSRP. The Lariat held value much better.

My 2012 Ford F-150 was bought new for $29,000, down from $39,000 and traded in for $24,000 four years later. The retained value was a damn impressive 84%. My 2016 Ford F-150 didn't do well, it held 77% of its value after three years.

Keep in mind that's the trade-in value, not what the dealership's asking for. Strangely, my 2012 Ford F-150 was actually over 100% because the dealership that bought it from me asked for $29,999 - almost the same price I bought it at.

At the end, I learned that I'd get about $7,000 more with the Ford F-150 Lariat so I lost a little more by buying the Ford F-150 XLT at $10,000 off MSRP.

I also look into resale when I buy new trucks. I don't buy cars anymore for that very reason. For me, it was the Dodge RAM at $15,000 off or Chevrolet at $10,000 off. Ford was only $4k off so I went for Chevy instead.
My current 16 lt z71 with Texas edition and 22inch gm black rims with 36 k miles I'm being offered 78% what I paid for it new 3 years ago. That is using supplier pricing on new and roughly $10,400 off sticker plus $1500 more if I take the crap GM financing. I was told the Texas edition and black 22 inch rims made it worth about $3k more because it was an unusual truck.

14 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

My current 16 lt z71 with Texas edition and 22inch gm black rims with 36 k miles I'm being offered 78% what I paid for it new 3 years ago. That is using supplier pricing on new and roughly $10,400 off sticker plus $1500 more if I take the crap GM financing. I was told the Texas edition and black 22 inch rims made it worth about $3k more because it was an unusual truck.

Clarification.. when I said my F-150 didn't do well by holding only 77% after three years, that truck had only 9,500 miles. I am pretty sure your truck would have way more miles than mine so it held value better than mine. I know I'd get far less if my truck had 40,000 miles like the others. Ford has gone down a bit in resale and the $4k off MSRP didn't make it better, especially when others were much more. Furthermore, the all-new 2019 Silverado body should help with resale in a way. That was the very reason why I switched over.