2019Daytona500_Silverado_HotLAP.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com

February 18th, 2019

The Daytona 500 is the original great american race. The history, the track, the location, the excitement. Daytona is where NASCAR began and auto racing was changed forever. But this past weekend the 2019 Silverado changed the idea that the "pace car" has to be a car forever too. In 2019 the Silverado was the first truck to ever to pace the Daytona 500. 

Early Sunday morning, right before the big race, we had a chance for a ride in that pace truck around the 2.5 mile tri-oval Daytona track and recorded every second of the experience. Sit back and enjoy!

• Like 6

"Passing Dale Jr. in turn 4!"

Sweet Post!

Was your heart pounding?

Awesome man, Daytona 500 rocks!

My car is a '79 Trans Am 10th Anniversary edition, same as they used for the Daytona 500 in 1979 (year of the big fight!).

I'm not overly fond of the '19 Silverado, but I do have to admit this has me thinking it would be cool to have both of my vehicles have that same history.  

I wonder how much money exchanged hands to get the Silverado out in front.  Also looks like all the money spent redoing the track a few years back really helped smooth out those turns.  500,000+ people stops me from even considering going out to the 500, even got invited to go this past weekend.

Other than the lights and whatnot, any other mods? It looks lowered slightly.

21 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Sweet Post!

Was your heart pounding?

Oh heck yeah! Especially going 100mph+ into turn one. It just didn't look like we could turn that much going that fast. Ended up being a piece of cake. 

4 hours ago, 2017Darkness said:

Other than the lights and whatnot, any other mods? It looks lowered slightly.

Chevy claims 100% stock. Just red painted calipers, an RST grill, and the bed cover. 

Whats the factory top speed on the 19's? Did gm change it from 98mph?

They had to have. 

And what's with the funky colored seats in the stands?  Trying to make them look occupied? 

I have toured the speedway and done the driving experience - I don't remember why the seats were painted.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:45 PM, Zane said:

2019Daytona500_Silverado_HotLAP.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com

February 18th, 2019

The Daytona 500 is the original great american race. The history, the track, the location, the excitement. Daytona is where NASCAR began and auto racing was changed forever. But this past weekend the 2019 Silverado changed the idea that the "pace car" has to be a car forever too. In 2019 the Silverado was the first truck to ever to pace the Daytona 500. 

Early Sunday morning, right before the big race, we had a chance for a ride in that pace truck around the 2.5 mile tri-oval Daytona track and recorded every second of the experience. Sit back and enjoy!

If it will stay running all day lol

They have a spare on hand just in case