Mobil 1 Truck & SUV

7 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Did anyone perform oil analysis back in the 70's 80's or 90's ????

Growing up my Dad worked at GM and owned a several GM trucks and cars during those three decades.

His preferred Oil of choice was Quaker State. Why? I have no idea and never asked as a youngster growing up watching and helping him

change oil in our cars, trucks, small engines and tractors on the farm.

Not dogging on those of you so Oil specific these days and to each their own. But some of this Analysis talk seems overrated in some instances.

Todays Oils are Far Superior than those of yesterday's conventional.

I personally see no great benefit in spending thousands of dollars more over the life of a vehicle to Premium oils when off the shelf products should

work fine as directed by recommended maintenance intervals. 

Of course one's driving style and climate/geography can play a huge part in these intervals.

I have been using Mobil 1 products for two decades now with no Ill effects.

Some even swear by Amazon Basics Premium Synthetic for $20 a jug.

Don't look now but your becoming your fathers son! :lol:

Oils are better, true, but the environment the OEM's put them in is also much-much  harsher and as a general rule people do not have the knowledge/understanding of their vehicles they did in the 50/60's. I was a rare male that took a motor to a rebuilder. Most males and some girls could rebuild a motor blindfolded. You took parts to a machine shop, that same place you bought your parts from. Today if it isn't on a 'device' no one has an interest. Back then only one of my fathers five sons couldn't rebuild a motor but he could paint and upholster. Cool! 

Dad swore by Phillips Trop-Artic 10W30. Changed it every 2,000 miles and routinely got 300K + from his equipment. I saw a guy pull the drive line from Dad's 66 Ford with 350,000 when the car was totaled and drop them straight into his daughters Merc she drove between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids for college for several years. Dad still serviced the powertrain. Millers were family friends. She totaled the Merc and the power train went into my Uncles pickup until he died about 15 years ago. Bob did pull the pan and replace the oil pump plus covers and change valve seals and timing chain. Heads were never disturbed. Inside was clean as a whistle. Pan bottom was mirror shinny.  Still even compression. Low oil use and perky as a rutting buck. The C6 behind had a tail shaft seal replaced. 

FREQUENT OIL CHANGES.

You could replicate that today with conventional oil and 2K changes or you can replicate it with 100% top shelf synthetics that cost 2-1/2 times as much on 5,000 OCI's and be break even on oil, use 40% fewer filters and get the same result with better heat protection. That one time you water pump fails or oil pump craps out. Extended storage. That sort of thing.  I put on allot of miles. The longer interval makes sense for me as I no longer change my own oil. Getting to hard to get off the floor :) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2019 at 8:00 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Why are so many people in this thread just taking random stabs at when to change their oil?  Do an oil analysis and actually know. 

Example.  My BMW is a twin turbo, DI motor running 2x stock boost.  I always run Mobil 1 synthetic. I run the hell out of that car.  I did an oil analysis on a little over 6000 miles and about a year.  Mixed city/highway driving.  No extended trips that oil change. 

Result - I could have safely went longer.  Viscosity was spot on.  Oil was still clean enough to safely go another 1500-2000 miles before actually being due. No fuel dilution. 

15k is bad. But 7500 isn't a big deal at all. 

My 2000 miles between changes IS based off of oil analysis. Blackstone labs.