You (Or Your Spouse) Can Now Track Your Chevy Vehicle In Real Time And Set Up Location Alerts

Gorehamj

Chevrolet-VehicleLocateApp09.JPG

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2-20-2019

A new feature available through the myChevrolet Mobile App allows owners of Chevy vehicles to track the exact location of their vehicle in real time. In addition to just seeing where on a map the vehicle is, owners of the Chevy vehicle can also set up a "geo-fence." and alerts if the vehicle leaves that area. Think of it as a radius of coverage the vehicle can drive around in, but if it leaves that area you will get a text message. One other feature lets the owner of the vehicle set up alerts when the vehicle moves. For example, so you could text a spouse when you leave work, without actually having to tap out a text.

Chevrolet-VehicleLocateApp13.jpg

The onboard GPS tracker and mobile phone in every 2012 model year and newer Chevy vehicle is the device sending these alerts and notifications, not a personal cell phone that resides with the occupant. In other words, you don't need to alert a child, spouse or friend that you are tracking your  Chevy that they are driving. Just think of the handy ways that might come in useful...Or scary. Take a close look at exactly what is shown on the screen the woman in our top of page image is holding.

Chevrolet-VehicleLocateApp08.JPG

5 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Well damn....  time to get rid of the Mistress!  :uhoh:  LOL

Seriously though....  Technology is getting scary.

So is this tracking device available for GMC ?

The Sierra use the same GPS tracking system via Onstar, I would assume you will be able to get this for your GMC with their own version of the App. "They" can track any GM with OnStar back since it's inception in the 2000's, only now can "we" track your "loved one"  at all times. I sure can see a lot of salesmen not mentioning this feature in front of both husband and wife, if they do they will probably chase away a few sales lol. Not saying everyone is up to no good or anything... Man this gives me the heebie-jeebies.  

7 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Well damn....  time to get rid of the Mistress!  :uhoh:  LOL

Seriously though....  Technology is getting scary.

So is this tracking device available for GMC ?

If you think that's scary. Go into Google maps and go to my places. I did the other day and it has tracked every location I have ever been to going back to 2007.

Edited by jaxcam02
  • Like 1

Your phone is already doing that. I go to rec center every morning. I have a choice of two ways. Every morning my phone will tell me which way is the fastest, once it syncs to my car. My wife coming from the center in the afternoon on Wednesday’s she’ll usually stop at a certain store. The phone tells her the best way to go. Same with going to church on Sundays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you think that's scary. Go into Google maps and go to my places. I did the other day and it has tracked every location I have ever been to going back to 2007.

That’s because you’re actually signed into an actual google account using your email.

Sent from above

It basically the exact same for your car as it is for an email account or phone. Just think of "your car" as "your cell phone". They both track where they are, and let anyone with the right password to see that information. Your wife, spouse, parent, friend, etc, can't see it unless you set it up and give them the password. Who ever has the password to the car, gets to see the info about the car. It not just an open app anyone can browse to any car, or even a car in your family, unless you all share passwords (like Netflix :rolleyes:). 

If someone can't explain to their spouse that they want their own password on their phone or their car, that's not really a scary technology issue.   

• Like 1