1997 Silverado HVAC actuator noise

On my 1997 Silverado, my A/C suddenly stopped blowing cold.  Mechanic checked for leaks, none found.  After checking, i started hearing various noises inside the cab near the blower motor, after further listening and inspection it appears I have a bad actuator (or whatever the piece is that is right next to the blower motor portion).

Is there a specific part number that I need to look for to replace it?

Thanks,

Brandon

There are actually 3 vent duct actuators, parts 14,15, and 16, as shown at the following link. The parts at the link are fairly expensive. You may find them cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=28

They can be a bear to get to because you'll need to remove most of the dash.

9 hours ago, thx1138v2 said:

There are actually 3 vent duct actuators, parts 14,15, and 16, as shown at the following link. The parts at the link are fairly expensive. You may find them cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=28

They can be a bear to get to because you'll need to remove most of the dash.

The issue is with #16 for me. Maybe it’s not as difficult to replace it as the others are.

My truck just started making a loud clicking noise under the glove box.  I tracked it to the actuator next to the blower.  I can see the part number on it using a small mirror: 16167292.  I ordered it from Amazon for $18.  It has two mounting screws requiring a 7/32" socket.  The bottom one is easy.  The top one is very challenging, but if you're persistent and try a variety of tools, you'll get it in far less time than it would take to remove the dash and all the HVAC hardware it would take to get to it (I say that but I haven't actually done it yet - I've found videos and read about others doing it).  I'll give you an update when I get the part.

Update:  I got the new part and successfully installed it, although I was not able to get the top screw back in.  Getting it out seemed to take forever, even after I manufactured a tool to make it easier.  The old actuator had a cracked main gear.  The bushing in the middle of that main gear, which attaches to the blend door, is made of metal.  The bushing on the new part is made of plastic.  But, the GM part was $65 and the one I got was $18, so there you go.  I removed the blower motor and made sure the actuator operated the door properly, and that nothing was blocking it.  And, for what its worth, this actuator operates the door that selects either outside air or recirculates the inside air.

IMG_8887.JPG