From GM to Ford (Raptor) impressions if interested

Just out of curiosity, what’s the payload on that sucker?

I’ve always wanted a raptor, but I’m always towing and hauling stuff.  Ram power wagons have always interested me as well.  Honestly though, I’m thinking an f-250 with the new 7.3 will be my next ride.  Good luck with the new ride and watch out for the deer!!!

Ugh!!!  You sound like a guy that just got his first iPhone and are trying to convince the rest of us that have owned them since day one how badass they are. 

“Ford nailed it with this one”. Really!!!  The Raptor has been out for almost a decade and they nailed it when the very first 2010 came out. Your comparisons are apples and oranges. The raptor can’t be compared to anything because it’s in a class of its own. It can’t even be compared to its brother the F150. 

We get it you like your new Raptor. Why? Because it’s a better truck then any other 1500 on the road. No argument there. But starting a thread on a GM forum about how much you love your new Ford and how munch better it is then GM makes you look bad. Go join the Raptor forums as it’s time for you to move on from here. Buh bye!

• Like 2

Ugh!!!  You sound like a guy that just got his first iPhone and are trying to convince the rest of us that have owned them since day one how badass they are. 

“Ford nailed it with this one”. Really!!!  The Raptor has been out for almost a decade and they nailed it when the very first 2010 came out. Your comparisons are apples and oranges. The raptor can’t be compared to anything because it’s in a class of its own. It can’t even be compared to its brother the F150. 

We get it you like your new Raptor. Why? Because it’s a better truck then any other 1500 on the road. No argument there. But starting a thread on a GM forum about how much you love your new Ford and how munch better it is then GM makes you look bad. Go join the Raptor forums as it’s time for you to move on from here. Buh bye!

I re-read the thread to be sure, yup just as I thought 99.9 percent enjoyed the write up. Maybe some day GM will build something to complete with the Raptor. That would be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 2

Great write up OP. 

All the catch can talk and ecoboost -

Ford now has port and direct injection on ecoboost. I believe it’s programmed to use mainly port injection at lower rpm, idle, etc and direct injection at higher engine loads. Having both injection systems is supposed to be best of both worlds (valves are clean, efficiency of DI) but more complex of course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Great write up OP. 

All the catch can talk and ecoboost -

Ford now has port and direct injection on ecoboost. I believe it’s programmed to use mainly port injection at lower rpm, idle, etc and direct injection at higher engine loads. Having both injection systems is supposed to be best of both worlds (valves are clean, efficiency of DI) but more complex of course. 

Eventually even GM will go to the dual injector system. You will read and hear about the why’s and benefits, with the exception of admitting valve coking is virtually eliminated with the port injectors. Until I own a vehicle with the dual injector setup...a catch can is a must. Heck even the catch cans evolve...single port to dual port to CSS to now dual cans, which actually catch the oils and crap the CSS just allows back into the valve covers. Turbocharged vehicles are even more in need. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Laura has a new '18 Denali Ultimate for $50209.  Subtract $1000 for financing through GM financial, that it $49209.  Add fees and you are at $49,400 before tax.  

I am not saying the Raptor isn't nice, because it is.  I am saying for a well optioned one, you are significantly higher in price than a Denali Ultimate. 

As for the Mustang...yeah, I will take a '16+ Camaro 2SS (even better in 1LE trim).  Lighter and faster in a straight line and corners.  Will likely be what replaces my BMW in the next couple of years.  Only newer Mustangs current available I would want are the GT350/350R but the prices on those are just stupid...ZL1 prices at that point and that's a lot more car for the money. 

Yeah the GT350/350R are sweet- truth be told The additional $$$ I put down outta pocket to make the deal on the Raptor work & result in a low/minimal payment I should have outta the way in under 2 years w/ ease- I had been setting aside & was SUPPOSED to be used toward a C6 ZR1 w/ my ‘03Z as additional collateral.

since a deer created a possible alternative set of plans for me (& that $$$ set aside) I decided to “go big” this time & get whatever the hell I wanted (within reason) & splurge a little on a new DD truck instead. What started out as “bottom feeding”/bargain hunting for nicely optioned 2018 6.2 GM trucks turned into “could I swing a new diesel” then morphed into a test drive in a new Raptor. 

my first full size Ford truck, one of the only ford vehicles I’ve ever owned period & I’ve probably had 20 @ this point (had a couple ford rangers that served me well as winter beaters while my GM muscle car rested)

see that? Ford & GM can get along, how do you think they came up w/ this buttery 10 speed tranny?

dodge on the other hand? F*** em!!!! ??

Love the look of those new raptors and they surely are a class of their own, but two things kept me from owning one. One, the AL body. I know it's rust proof, but frankly I've seen too many of those things go up like a petroleum soaked cotton balls and torn apart like beer cans in accidents to trust them. AL has vastly less heat resistance than steel and the tear strength between the two is laughable. I'm disappointed the new GMs made their doors and tailgate all AL. Two is the fact you can't get a V8. Maybe I'm turning into an old man but trucks should be V8. I hate that turbo v6 sound, and if I remember correctly the Raptor actually pipes in a fake V8 noise to give you a better perception of it.

In my opinion the 14-15 Silverado had the best front end of a truck ever. I'm sad with the new GM trucks and am hoping that a refresh cleans them up a bit, and gives the interior a proper refresh. Only new GM that looks good is the Sierra HD AT4 in my opinion.

Good luck with the Ford. Def make sure you take care of that ecoboost. One plus Those trucks have is a lot of aftermarket support, so enjoy that!

I love the raptor, but you got the feature equivalent of a silverado LT for like double the price of a silverado LT. It is a very  expensive truck.

Sometimes I wonder if buying a slt 6.2 and spending $5k on a suspension build is a better option. But I doubt it would have the combination of on/off road performance of the raptor.

Crush,

The Raptor is appealing more to the performance folks and off-road if you are that inclined, that's why it doesn't have all those extra you mentioned.  My son just bought an F150 Platinum Crew and it has all those little options you are missing and more for the same window sticker price or lower than the Raptor.

After seeing, riding, and driving his F150 Platinum CrewI can tell you from an impartial view "Ford doesn't raise the bar, it IS the bar."  And I have a very enjoyable 2016 LTZ that hasn't given me any trouble whatsoever.  Even the Chevy High Country doesn't compare.

12 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Go join the Raptor forums as it’s time for you to move on from here. Buh bye!

I agree that the Raptor is a pretty sharp truck and I'm glad the OP loves his, but this thread belongs in a Ford forum not GM. I could care less to hear everyone drooling over the Raptor on a GM forum.

• Like 2

I love the raptor, but you got the feature equivalent of a silverado LT for like double the price of a silverado LT. It is a very  expensive truck.

Sometimes I wonder if buying a slt 6.2 and spending $5k on a suspension build is a better option. But I doubt it would have the combination of on/off road performance of the raptor.

I've been looking to do a mid travel on my truck to meet or exceed raptor performance. It will cost at least $10k but still cheaper than a raptor since I paid $42k for my truck. I love my 6.2 as well. Ego boost sounds like shit.

One of the reasons I like to see other brands on here is to push GM to do better. Some kool-aid drinkers call it bashing. GM monitors this site and others. If they see us getting restless maybe they’ll do something about it. I like to see their diesel number one. I like to see a V-8 without cylinder deactivation. Stop start in a truck, really. Leaving the 6.2 alone and having it available on all models may give it distances away from Ram. There’s factory back performance for pickups at Ford dealers, not so much at GM. Wake up GM, you’re losing ground again. My fondness memories are in GMs.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

One of the reasons I like to see other brands on here is to push GM to do better. Some kool-aid drinkers call it bashing. GM monitors this site and others. If they see us getting restless maybe they’ll do something about it. I like to see their diesel number one. I like to see a V-8 without cylinder deactivation. Stop start in a truck, really. Leaving the 6.2 alone and having it available on all models may give it distances away from Ram. There’s factory back performance for pickups at Ford dealers, not so much at GM. Wake up GM, you’re losing ground again. My fondness memories are in GMs.

I like everything you pointed out in this post...especially the Kool-Aid part :thumbs: Making the 6.2 available would open a lot of doors IMHO...probably blow a few off too!

• Like 1

I like everything you pointed out in this post...especially the Kool-Aid part :thumbs: Making the 6.2 available would open a lot of doors IMHO...probably blow a few off too!

Every time I bring up something I like to see change on my beloved brand, the cool-aid drinkers bounce. I admit I am more interested in performance and want to see GM number 1. I don't have problem pointing out the other brands home runs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, m3n00b said:

I've been looking to do a mid travel on my truck to meet or exceed raptor performance. It will cost at least $10k but still cheaper than a raptor since I paid $42k for my truck. I love my 6.2 as well. Ego boost sounds like shit.

The issue with that is that it won’t be nearly as good as the raptor on the road.

it’s easy to beat the raptor off-road or on-road, but not both