From GM to Ford (Raptor) impressions if interested

The issue with that is that it won’t be nearly as good as the raptor on the road.

it’s easy to beat the raptor off-road or on-road, but not both
My bud has an old 2wd gmt800 with a mid travel and it works very well on the road. I'm sure you're right though.

Nice truck.  I've never bought a Ford, but with the price and looks and overall disappointment with the new GM 1500 trucks, I've seriously been considering a Raptor for next truck.  The Chevy dealership I work at also owns a Ford dealership, and a lot of extended family members work(ed) at Fords. And with just a Ford/Shelby tune, the Raptor motor is making 525hp and 610 lbs of torque.  And, that motor is now available on a small tired non lifted but expensive Limited trim, not that I've been looking into it. 

• Like 1

This post is pointless. You cant compare a Sierra Denali to Raptor. The Sierra is geared directly toward the on-road luxury crowd, similar to the Ford F150 Platinum. While there may be packages like the offroad suspension, its plain to see that the engineers understand you're still spending 95% of your time on the road and not off in the bush. 

The Raptor is more offroad racing truck inspired with optional bells and whistles.  GM hasnt even attempted anything like this in recent years.. definitely not on a full production scale. 

It could be that the Raptor is better suited to your personal preferences, or maybe its just a pleasant change for you, but a direct comparison to a Sierra is pointless. 

• Like 1

This post is pointless. You cant compare a Sierra Denali to Raptor. The Sierra is geared directly toward the on-road luxury crowd, similar to the Ford F150 Platinum. While there may be packages like the offroad suspension, its plain to see that the engineers understand you're still spending 95% of your time on the road and not off in the bush. 

The Raptor is more offroad racing truck inspired with optional bells and whistles.  GM hasnt even attempted anything like this in recent years.. definitely not on a full production scale. 

It could be that the Raptor is better suited to your personal preferences, or maybe its just a pleasant change for you, but a direct comparison to a Sierra is pointless. 

I don’t think it’s pointless, as a matter of fact I [emoji817]% appreciate the time and effort it took to make this post. I’m sure that I’m not the only one that discusses and contemplated how to make our Z71 4X4 more off-road worthy. I’ve already decided that in the event (knock on wood) I start having issues with my 18, CC, 6.2 and expected to live with it, I’m going to go out and pickup the most badass Raptor I can find. Special thanks to OP!

Sent from above
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

The issue with that is that it won’t be nearly as good as the raptor on the road.

it’s easy to beat the raptor off-road or on-road, but not both

Unless you are dealing with rough roads and potholes. All of us here in the salt belt suffer.

With some of our roads here in Missouri, a truck is essential to daily commuting survival! 

See the source image

• Like 1

^^^[emoji1787]

I don’t think it’s pointless, as a matter of fact I [emoji817]% appreciate the time and effort it took to make this post. I’m sure that I’m not the only one that discusses and contemplated how to make our Z71 4X4 more off-road worthy. I’ve already decided that in the event (knock on wood) I start having issues with my 18, CC, 6.2 and expected to live with it, I’m going to go out and pickup the most badass Raptor I can find. Special thanks to OP!

Sent from above

Same here. Thanks again for this review OP!

This was a fair post, appreciate the detail. But while it's fair, it isn't equal...and you can't do an equal comparison to a Raptor because it's so unique. In the comparison though you pointed out pros and cons of each vs the other, so that's why it's fair. I didn't see this as a bash GM post, you simply stated your experience with your GM trucks and how your recent purchase of a Raptor has you super happy, nothing wrong with that. I'm fortunate that in 78k miles my 2016 Denali has only seen one major issue and GM took care of it immediately. Outside of that she has been an awesome truck. Sorry for all your issues, that sucks.

The Raptor is an awesome truck if you're going after a production built, beefy set up. What I think it has going for it most is that it's all under warranty. Guys who buy a street truck and swap out all the stock suspension, etc. are screwed on the warranty. If I was in the market for an off-road beast, I would definitely test drive a Raptor. Hope it doesn't give you any issues and you pop in from time to time to keep us updated on it long-term. FWIW, all my friends and I are split between owning Ford and GM trucks. The one thing that unites us all is our dislike for Rams.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy
  • Like 1

The post to me wasn't necessarily a comparison.  It's just a guy telling us what he liked and didn't like about his old truck and his new truck.  No need to bash him for it.  I do agree, unfortunately, that the Raptor is no comparison to any 1500 GM makes. 

• Thanks 1

The post to me wasn't necessarily a comparison.  It's just a guy telling us what he liked and didn't like about his old truck and his new truck.  No need to bash him for it.  I do agree, unfortunately, that the Raptor is no comparison to any 1500 GM makes. 

It’s not “but” the majority of us and without realizing it, we’re adding high performance Suspension systems, trying to get more clearance and additional accessories in an attempt to do more than what our trucks were designed for. And as most of us can agree, wish GM would come out with their version of a Raptor too.

Sent from above
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

It’s not “but” the majority of us and without realizing it, we’re adding high performance Suspension systems, trying to get more clearance and additional accessories in an attempt to do more than what our trucks were designed for. And as most of us can agree, wish GM would come out with their version of a Raptor too.

Sent from above

I'm guilty and agree.  A ZR2 Colorado has crossed my mind too.  I would settle for a new Silverado Custom Trail Boss with a 6.2, but....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wforrest08 said:

Damn straight! I knew it was time to buy a new 1/2 ton the second I saw a “new” 016 on the lot.

I missed it by a few months and the 15s were all gone. I honestly think about stepping up to a 2500 before they move to the new style because I think they look that good. Just got done paying this one off though so I don't really want a new payment.