In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have been wanting a truck for close to 4 years now, and finally the time is coming for me to purchase. Have spent the last week test driving the 2019s which are AMAZING but at the end of the day I sit down and wonder if I really want to spend 50-55k on a new vehicle....My other wants in life are not gonna stop. I still have other goals, and other debts, and I just don't know if its the smartest move. I can probably pick up a 2016-2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT/Denali trim for around 30-40k depending on miles/year/trim/engine, however....I am terrified of the K2...are they beautiful, yes...but all the reading is just scaring me...chevy shake, transmission issues. Should I be scared of the K2 generation? I know the forums are where everybody comes to talk about issues, and is not something I should base my decision off of.....Just looking for some input. Going to test drive some used F150s next week. At the end of the day, I just don't know if I wanna cough up the money (55k) for a new vehicle, as the happiness that comes with purchasing new will likely die off fast. I know I am all over the map, but I don't wanna purchase something then regret it..... I love the 6.2 is it worth it/a deal breaker to just get the 5.3?....but as my pennie pinching father says....45mph is 45mph.....Just looking for a little input from the crowd.  Cheers. 

No you should not be man.  GMC/Chevy puts out 900K trucks a year.  There is a margin of error in there for sure but it’s that way with any brand.  Love my 17 AT 5.3 man keep the faith bro! 

Edited by 4weight
  • Like 1

Agreed. The shake would show up on a test drive... so you can eliminate that one easy enough.

I have a 16 slt premium+ 8sp 5.3.

Only real issue was this week. Nav head unit took an uncerimonious dump.

Warrantied thank god.

No vehicle is immune from issues. Choose wisely, test drive first, pull a car fax.

If it all adds up...enjoy.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I couldn’t be happier with my 2018 Z71. May will be 1 year. Park it next to a 2019 and I really love mine. 

What has already been posted :thumbs: Now as for the 6.2 well I have one, love it and will probably never go smaller or less powerful. WITH THAT SAID...I had a 2008 Avalanche with the 5.3 and loved it! That 5.3 was a smooth and powerful engine that returned pretty decent mileage. Yes I know the DI is a different beast but overall it’s not much different. If you have a REAL need for the extra power look for a 6.2 but if you’re not aware, there is a premium fuel requirement...something to consider. Also in the used market the 6.2 will demand around a grand more (or maybe more) than the 5.3 so just know that going in. My truck has been very good so far...a couple hard 1-2 shifts when cold but nothing that made me spill my coffee. 

• Like 2

I have a ‘17 LTZ with a 6.2 and love it. 45 IS 45 (much like saying pu$$y is pu$$y smh) but getting there is the fun part.

I had the shudder, but was fixed with a flush and re-tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In a few more months here will be just as many horror stories about the new trucks.  Just get the K2 and save the money 

Edited by qwank
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

I have a ‘17 LTZ with a 6.2 and love it. 45 IS 45 (much like saying pu$$y is pu$$y smh) but getting there is the fun part.

I had the shudder, but was fixed with a flush and re-tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true...the 45 part :D that’s a pretty quick few seconds to get there. 

I think the thing with these forums is that people come here to diagnose and fix issues... Nobody comes to tell us that their truck didn't break today. So you are only being exposed to the bad and missing out on reading all the good experiences.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, EpicLT said:

I think the thing with these forums is that people come here to diagnose and fix issues... Nobody comes to tell us that their truck didn't break today. So you are only being exposed to the bad and missing out on reading all the good experiences.

Well said exactly 

• Like 4

Yes, if you have doubts before you buy, you will never enjoy the truck. If you check all of the forums for the different manufactures, you will use mass transit (the bus). If the trucks were so bad, there would not be a GM forum, nor would they sell hundreds of thousands of trucks each year. Drive as many different brands as you can, then go with your gut feeling, it is ultimately your money, your future truck and your decision to make, not ours.

• Like 3

I have been wanting a truck for close to 4 years now, and finally the time is coming for me to purchase. Have spent the last week test driving the 2019s which are AMAZING but at the end of the day I sit down and wonder if I really want to spend 50-55k on a new vehicle....My other wants in life are not gonna stop. I still have other goals, and other debts, and I just don't know if its the smartest move. I can probably pick up a 2016-2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT/Denali trim for around 30-40k depending on miles/year/trim/engine, however....I am terrified of the K2...are they beautiful, yes...but all the reading is just scaring me...chevy shake, transmission issues. Should I be scared of the K2 generation? I know the forums are where everybody comes to talk about issues, and is not something I should base my decision off of.....Just looking for some input. Going to test drive some used F150s next week. At the end of the day, I just don't know if I wanna cough up the money (55k) for a new vehicle, as the happiness that comes with purchasing new will likely die off fast. I know I am all over the map, but I don't wanna purchase something then regret it..... I love the 6.2 is it worth it/a deal breaker to just get the 5.3?....but as my pennie pinching father says....45mph is 45mph.....Just looking for a little input from the crowd.  Cheers. 

MHO, Get the 6.2, you’ll regret it if you don’t. Lots more smiles per miles and you’ll enjoy it so much that you’ll most likely never wanna get rid of it.

Sent from above

Put 38,000 miles on my 2016 RCSB. Converter shudder was fixed with a flush or two. Price got right on the 2018 LT so I traded up. Both trucks 5.3 L, 6 speed, and 3.42 rear. At 3,500 miles 2018 is smooth as silk. Was on the phone on bluetooth when I got home from work this evening. Half an hour later I realized the truck was still idling at 500 RPMs in V8 mode ! No vibrations at idle either ! The 5.3 L has plenty of power for my needs and does not require premium fuel.

I'm not a fan of the new body style, that's why I bought the 2018 once the price got right. if something happened to the 2018 tomorrow I would find another K2 to replace it.

Guess they forgot to add the Chevy shake to the RPO codes on my trucks !

• Haha 1

I wouldnt say you'll regret getting a 5.3 over the 6.2

I don't regret the 5.3 over the 6.2. Especially once you add in the cost savings. 

I'm sure the 6.2 would be pretty fun and peppy, but i'm very happy with my 5.3

• Like 2

It all comes down to the test drive. I never buy a vehicle unless they let me take it over night. You must do city stop and go as well as highway speed to listen and feel for everything. If you're ok with not having it over night try to drive it on your own. Some dealers will try to ride with you and take you on a safe driving route so you don't hear or feel certain issues. Press every button and try every feature to make sure it not only works but has everything you want. Not all trims have the exact same options so make sure you pay attention to what's in it (two different SLT's could have different options depending on how the dealer or previous owner ordered it).

I love my K2 and it's super fun 6.2. I've got a Sierra Denali with 78k miles and have only had one major issue that GM took care of immediately (internal coolant leak). I've owned a 5.3 and two 6.2's. When I first went to the 6.2 I told myself I'd never go back. The 5.3 is plenty of power and will tow anything a half ton is rated for, but the 6.2 is just so much more responsive and makes you grin. If the price is close between the two, go 6.2 hands down. 

No shake or transmission issues with mine either.

• Like 2