Ceramic Coating

If you keep it 5 years max, just get it professionally cleaned and waxed once a year, it should still look like new after 5 years.

No need to get this all done for the next guy to enjoy when you sell it and can you really trust that water will bead off like it did the first day vs 5yr mark?

Heck i used the Spray On stuff after a good wash and that lasted me 5 months. Not true ceramic coating but still..

Edited by Ozer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNSS said:

My opinion only but since you live in a state with winter I would use an undercoat system that is basically a spray on oily wax. And have it redone every other year I pay 130.00 to have it done up here Krown is the brand there are others even buy fluid film and do it yourself 

Also depending on your budget I would have the front and mirrors and lower part of truck covered with a paint protection film like XPEL. As stone chips are gonna happen on the thin paint these trucks THEN I would spend money on A Ceramic coating 

I did both but I budgeted for it when  I ordered  my black truck The Ceramic coating goes over the Xpel 

Question: At what point in the process would the paint correction occur?.... prior to the Xpel or after?

28 minutes ago, SierraOnTheRoad said:

Question: At what point in the process would the paint correction occur?.... prior to the Xpel or after?

Prior.  The protection film is just a clear sheet put over the paint.  Any imperfections already there will be seen through the PPF.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, CDNSS said:

Your in Minneapolis you have one of the best detailers in the country remember paint correction is the most important part of ant sealant or coating. You want the the right guy to do that.  

Raskys Detailing 

http://raskysautodetailing.com/

works out of his garage   Evenings and weekends only 

At the very least get his opinion.  on what is best for your needs

Worth it to learn from him is happy to share knowledge  worth the time to get his opinion 

he tests slot of products 

He did my show car drove 500 miles to have him do paint correction 

he has tried most of the ceramic coatings 

ziebart uses cheap products and big staff turnover last place I’d go 

Just got off the phone with Raskys He said I'd be better off getting the paint correction and just wax regularly. The ceramic coating isn't going to prevent the swirls. It's not magic. A lot of guys with black are disappointed after the swirls start to show up. It's more of how you wash it to prevent the swirls.

He said he could do it but it wouldn't last more than 2-3 years .

Paint correction $800 Add $800 more for ceramic coating

I can buy a lot of wax for $800 

I am torn what to do.

I may just have him do the paint correction then use the best wax money can buy.

What would you do?

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

You were ready to go to Ziebart for $1200, but $1600 to have a pro do it with at least one good reference is too much? It's not just the wash that swirls your paint, it's also has a lot to do with how you wax it. I'm doing it after Disney.

Chad gives good advice as he can’t know how fussy you will be when you wash it  swirls will occur unless you wash properly. Really up to you 

I have ceramic on for 2 yrs now no swirls that you can see without really looking and they are very fine,  worth it to me I like the no swirl permanent shine and don’t need to wax often 

to me Xpel to repel stone  chips is first thing to do  but we all have different needs and budget 

Just got off the phone with Raskys He said I'd be better off getting the paint correction and just wax regularly. The ceramic coating isn't going to prevent the swirls. It's not magic. A lot of guys with black are disappointed after the swirls start to show up. It's more of how you wash it to prevent the swirls.
He said he could do it but it wouldn't last more than 2-3 years .
I can buy a lot of wax for $800 
I am torn what to do.
I may just have him do the paint correction then use the best was money can buy.
What would you do?

Run it through a car wash, bring it home and (in the shade) touch it up yourself with quick detail/wax and be done with it. Dealers don’t care when you’re trading it in.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 2017Darkness said:

You were ready to go to Ziebart for $1200, but $1600 to have a pro do it with at least one good reference is too much? It's not just the wash that swirls your paint, it's also has a lot to do with how you wax it. I'm doing it after Disney.

It's not about the money. It's about what is best . I haven't ruled out the place that wants over 2 grand either 

I asked for you guys opinions and most seem to like the ceramic. I'm still leaning that way but probably not at Ziebarts. No good opinions about them and that's cool.

He's a pro and said the ceramic is not going to help much with the crappy paint GM uses

He said if it was his his he wouldn't ceramic it.

I may still have him do it anyway.

Have fun at Disney

26 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Run it through a car wash, bring it home and (in the shade) touch it up yourself with quick detail/wax and be done with it. Dealers don’t care when you’re trading it in.

Sent from above

I already do that and I'm not happy  with the fine scratches I'm getting. I have to look at it every day.

I'm doing this for me not the guy who buys it when I trade it in.

I already do that and I'm not happy  with the fine scratches I'm getting. I have to look at it every day.
I'm doing this for me not the guy who buys it when I trade it in.

Totally understand, isn’t it black?

Sent from above

1 hour ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Wax? People still use wax?

Ceramic and sealants are where it’s at.

Ryan B.

This is what I've been using . I know there are better products I should look into though

G18216_UltLiquidWax_10x10.png

Edited by dieselfan1

Do it yourself.  There are plenty of videos on how to use a random orbital buffer and then a ceramic sealant.... Google "Autogeek" and "Optimum Car Care"  and you will have the information you need. This is not rocket science like some would like you to believe, but you will spend a whole day doing a new car (the second car you do will be easier as you become familiar with the technique).  On a new car there is not a whole lot of paint "correction" to do and the job is easy.  The first car I did was my old 07 Sierra and I was amazed at the results as it looked glossier than new.  Having gained confidence, I next did a Lexus and then a Porsche, and both yielded amazing results.  I recently did my 18 Sierra I just purchased with similar results.  Again, doing a new car is pretty easy, and the cost for a Porter Cable random orbital buffer package and Optimum Gloss Coat sealer is about $300.  I have no regrets about my purchase and I am surprised at the positive comments I get about my cars.

IMG_6230.jpg