LT tire pressure question

So I  managed to rip a hole in the sidewall of my stock tire and since this was my third flat I decided it was a good time to upgrade to some  LT tires. I ended up with Faulken Wildpeak AT3W's LT 275-70-R18. Love The look of them on the truck, really gives it just a little more attitude. The tech suggested running them at the pressure recommended on the door but I know that's not right since the LT tires should take more psi for the same load rating. According to a chart I found on Toyo's website I should be around 40psi. I just wanted to know if anyone has run this size and what they run for a psi front and rear. I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 CC 6.5' bed with 2in level. Thanks for any advice, here's the new tires.

20190223_115017.thumb.jpg.c3a18d15d05c8ee3eb3a68e03182687f.jpg20190223_115009.thumb.jpg.d8952eaa877ebde0903fb4f92aa29685.jpg

If there's one thing I've learned being on different forums, it's that no one has any clue what tire pressure is correct. 

I normally run what the door jam says unless I notice uneven wear patterns. You also couldn't go wrong using the tire manufacturer load recommended pressure. It's an inexact science I feel lol.

• Haha 2

I run about 40 to 45 psi cold on 265/70/17s. Tires are wearing well. The recommended pressure on the door sticker is not meant for LT tires. 
Correct. The door sticker is for P tires and not LT.

40-45 is what I have heard and would expect for LT tires. The tire itself should have a max pressure rating on it. Definitely don't go beyond that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

My WT 2014 5.3 4x4 came with LTs from new, I think the door sticker says 38psi cold for 265 70r17 LT. Will check in the morning. They wore fine at that pressure, I now have P rated for reduced weight & mileage guarantee.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, E-rich1210 said:

So I  managed to rip a hole in the sidewall of my stock tire and since this was my third flat I decided it was a good time to upgrade to some  LT tires. I ended up with Faulken Wildpeak AT3W's LT 275-70-R18. Love The look of them on the truck, really gives it just a little more attitude. The tech suggested running them at the pressure recommended on the door but I know that's not right since the LT tires should take more psi for the same load rating. According to a chart I found on Toyo's website I should be around 40psi. I just wanted to know if anyone has run this size and what they run for a psi front and rear. I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 CC 6.5' bed with 2in level. Thanks for any advice, here's the new tires.

20190223_115017.thumb.jpg.c3a18d15d05c8ee3eb3a68e03182687f.jpg20190223_115009.thumb.jpg.d8952eaa877ebde0903fb4f92aa29685.jpg

First suggestion, perform the chalk test.  Easy to do and accurate.  Check it out on YouTube.

Second, I have a 14 crew cab short bed ltz z71, same tires with around 36k on them now (amazing tires)  I have always run them at the stock pressure of 32 psi.  40 is way too high unless you are hauling something.  32 psi has kept them wearing evenly.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the tire pressure increases 1 psi for every 10 degrees increase.  So if you set them at 40 cold psi and start down the highway on a hot summer day, they will jump up to 42 psi or better. Which again is way too high and they will hit wear properly.

1 hour ago, btj_z71 said:

First suggestion, perform the chalk test.  Easy to do and accurate.  Check it out on YouTube.

Second, I have a 14 crew cab short bed ltz z71, same tires with around 36k on them now (amazing tires)  I have always run them at the stock pressure of 32 psi.  40 is way too high unless you are hauling something.  32 psi has kept them wearing evenly.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the tire pressure increases 1 psi for every 10 degrees increase.  So if you set them at 40 cold psi and start down the highway on a hot summer day, they will jump up to 42 psi or better. Which again is way too high and they will hit wear properly.

If they’re 80psi tires which the OPs are according to the Falken website, then 32 psi is running them way to low. You might be enjoying a nice cush ride but you’re killing gas mileage and tire life. And if hauling something then 40psi is still way to low. Not understanding how running a tire at less than half it’s max cold pressure is good?  

I have LT tires on my truck with a 65 psi max and run them around 45-50psi. If I’m pulling my toy hauler or have a heavy load in the bed I’ll bump them up to 60-65psi. They’re designed to run at max psi especially when loaded as that’s how they get they’re max load rating. At 32psi on an 80psi tire it probably can barely handle the weight from the truck by itself. I bet your tires look damn near flat running down the road

If they’re 80psi tires which the OPs are according to the Falken website, then 32 psi is running them way to low. You might be enjoying a nice cush ride but you’re killing gas mileage and tire life. And if hauling something then 40psi is still way to low. Not understanding how running a tire at less than half it’s max cold pressure is good?  
I have LT tires on my truck with a 65 psi max and run them around 45-50psi. If I’m pulling my toy hauler or have a heavy load in the bed I’ll bump them up to 60-65psi. They’re designed to run at max psi especially when loaded as that’s how they get they’re max load rating. At 32psi on an 80psi tire it probably can barely handle the weight from the truck by itself. I bet your tires look damn near flat running down the road

Hauling is one thing but when you look at the psi weight rating it doesn’t need to be more than 40psi for an empty bed cause max weight of our CC 1500’s is what 6K pounds. Here’s my Nitto Ridge Grapplers chart

07fe3b0c5b61942b07954521ee9a02ec.jpg

Mine are 295/60/20’s (34”) which I keep at 38-40psi cause I don’t Tow and only thing I haul is when I’m hauling ass lol

Sent from above

Negative ghost rider. I have 275/55/R20 and they are not LT tires, so I think that is where the disconnect is.

Chalk test is still the best way to check if the tires have proper pressure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, btj_z71 said:

Negative ghost rider. I have 275/55/R20 and they are not LT tires, so I think that is where the disconnect is.

There is no disconnect. The op posted about LT tires to which a non LT tire person (you) posted psi recommendations. Your post became null and void as soon as you said you didn’t have LT tires. I stick by my post as the ops tires are LT 80psi rated. 

Tire psi is like oil choices. Everybody has an opinion to which I stated mine. Running 40 psi in an 80 psi rated tire is to low IMO. 

Thanks

Edited by Jacoby
  • Like 1

Though 32 psi is questionable, you’re absolutely correct. Chalk away!

My tires are 2400 lbs each at 40psi,(sometimes at 37psi)
X4= 9600lbs 5K miles later and in excellent shape.
My truck weighs 6k pounds. P rated tires usually between 40-50 max psi is at 2800pounds per tire but who rides around at max psi unless towing 24/7

Sent from above