7 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I go by the book. 93. I’m sure there’s some people here that will say 87 is just as good. But personally I didn’t pay extra for the 6.2 just to run it on 87, have it pull timing, and perform like a 5.3. 

I plan on going by the book. Just wondering. Thanks for the reply.

2 hours ago, tcracing said:

What octane gasoline is everybody using? I'm waiting on my Sierra with the 6.2 to be delivered. Anybody running 87, 89 octane with any ill effects? Hopefully mine will show up in the next couple of weeks. It was made in Mexico which I'm a little upset about, I wish I could have been built in Indiana. I was told by dealer in was going to be Made In USA. 

I run 93 only, I didn’t spend extra cash on a 6.2 just to cheap out on the gas. 

• Like 2

What octane gasoline is everybody using? I'm waiting on my Sierra with the 6.2 to be delivered. Anybody running 87, 89 octane with any ill effects? Hopefully mine will show up in the next couple of weeks. It was made in Mexico which I'm a little upset about, I wish I could have been built in Indiana. I was told by dealer in was going to be Made In USA. 

Only high octane fuel for the 6.2, it’s a high performance engine that’s tuned completely different from its little siblings, treat it right and you’ll have it running great for a great many years. Treat it like a cheap ass and you’ll regret owning it, it’ll start knocking and can and will eventually damage the engine which will cost you HUGE on repairs. The 6.2’s do not do well with anything less than super. Good luck

Sent from above

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Only high octane fuel for the 6.2, it’s a high performance engine that’s tuned completely different from its little siblings, treat it right and you’ll have it running great for a great many years. Treat it like a cheap ass and you’ll regret owning it, it’ll start knocking and can and will eventually damage the engine which will cost you HUGE on repairs. The 6.2’s do not do well with anything less than super. Good luck

Sent from above

Thanks. I plan on using 93 octane, and full synthetic oil. I plan on keeping it for a while. Right now I'm driving a 2000 truck, so I usually take care of what I have.

• Like 2

Thanks. I plan on using 93 octane, and full synthetic oil. I plan on keeping it for a while. Right now I'm driving a 2000 truck, so I usually take care of what I have.

Great to hear that, your 6.2 will definitely put a whole lot more smiles per miles when it’s happy. Btw, not sure you’re aware of this but full synthetic is not 100% synthetic unless it actually says 100% synthetic.

Read the Mobil1 bottle (full synthetic only) versus Amsoil 100% synthetic. I run mostly Mobil1 annual protection every 4K miles. Good luck

Sent from above
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

Great to hear that, your 6.2 will definitely put a whole lot more smiles per miles when it’s happy. Btw, not sure you’re aware of this but full synthetic is not 100% synthetic unless it actually says 100% synthetic.

Read the Mobil1 bottle (full synthetic only) versus Amsoil 100% synthetic. I run mostly Mobil1 annual protection every 4K miles. Good luck

Sent from above

Mobile 1 is all I've ever used. Thanks.

• Like 1

<K2xx 6.2 with BB tune owner

Just had my truck in for service and had a ‘19 denali for 4 days. Had like 800 miles on it. Obviously on dealer ‘87 octane.

Heard audible knocking at WOT couple times. Clear as day.

Test drove another denali a few months ago and I thought I heard a slight knock but wasn’t sure. Definitely confirmed with this 4 day test drive.

Truck was in sport mode if that matters. Don’t know if they change engine parameters for that.

Never put ‘87 in in ‘19+ 6.2, that’s for damn sure.

On another note. Denali felt kinda slow the first day.  I think it adapted to my aggressive driving style. Was pretty quick when I dropped it off. Although the magazines have my 6sp 6.2 a bit quicker stock, and with my BB tune it should be even more of a difference, when I got back in my truck I confirmed the butt dyno, new 6.2 is just as quick and at certain times felt slightly faster than my truck. New 10speed is awesome.

Inwas hoping the new truck got better gas mileage, but that’s a big negative. Same average. 8.5ish (dense NJ driving plus lead foot)

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 1

My last gas truck had a 6.2. Ran it with 89 most of the time. Never had an issue. Had 189000km on it still ran like a top. But I did have a catch can. No oil in my intake to lower fuel octane levels. Plus I didn’t dog my truck or run wot very often. Mostly highway driving for me. Even with 89 I was still able to achieve 21-22 mpg. 

• Like 1