Ceramic coating

First black truck I have ever owned and am wondering if anybody has done ceramic coating? I’m hearing how much it helps with not showing blemishes, swirls, etc..

Has anybody done it? Thoughts?

I have a white AT4. I had it done and it's been awesome so far. It's Winter here, and the road dirt and crap just sprays off. I haven't had it long term enough to know much about blemishes etc....

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, KA0S said:

I have a white AT4. I had it done and it's been awesome so far. It's Winter here, and the road dirt and crap just sprays off. I haven't had it long term enough to know much about blemishes etc....

Thanks you! Mind if I ask what it cost?

Thanks you! Mind if I ask what it cost?
I had mine done by a buddy of mine who owns a detailing shop. I think it was roughly $350 CDN for the entire truck.

I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Just now, KA0S said:

I had mine done by a buddy of mine who owns a detailing shop. I think it was roughly $350 CDN for the entire truck.

I highly recommend it.

Nice you got a great deal! Local place here wants $1050 for my truck!

So if you really want to go down that rabbit hole, go visit the autopia and autogeek detailing forums. But here’s a brief primer:

There are several quite excellent DIY / prosumer grade ceramic coating products, and then there are a few full-on professionally installed coatings available. The common denominator is preparation. The paint must be fully cleaned and minor blemishes (hazing, fine scratches, etc) polished out before applying a coating. The difference is the to what extreme to take the prep process.

A coating will lay down over just about anything, but if the surface isn’t clean and smooth it will only highlight the imperfections, not hide them. I’ve used coatings from CarPro (not affiliated, just picked one at the time) with great results on several of my vehicles, but I’ve also spent the time to wash, clay, decontaminate, wash again, machine polish, machine fine polish, then apply the coating in two layers. It’s an intense two days of work (I not a pro, I need frequent breaks). I have not done it to my truck yet... I’m kinda dreading all that real estate. I have used a spray-on / wipe off product called CarPro ReLoad on it and gotten about 6 months of protection from it. There are others that are just as good, maybe better.

Anyway, there’s gobs of great information and technical discussion at the detailing forums. But bring a snack, you’ll likely be there a while. Some of the before and after posts are really entertaining.

Good luck!

M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My new truck is going in for Cqaurtz and paint protection film.  I have had it done to one car, and did it myself to another.  The money is in the pre-ceramic paint correction labor, even new cars need some work to be really top notch if that's what you're looking for.  I love ceramic because dirt pretty much just hoses off, and after that you can basically "wash" it with some quick detailer and a microfiber, or a wash mitt and no-rinse soap.  Much easier and less time consuming, and they look great all the time.  My bro in law had his black Tahoe done, and I couldn't believe how clean that thing looked ALL the time! 

• Like 2

Black isn’t a color, it’s a career. Regardless of whether you ceramic coat it or not, you need to always follow proper cleaning procedures...two bucket wash, etc. The ceramic coating can still get swirls if you don’t. It’s more resistant to them, and it’s much easier to clean, but it’s not bulletproof. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1