What was/is GM Thinking???

12 minutes ago, NHUSA said:

When your neighbor gets laid off it is a recession.

When you get laid off it is a depression.

When my friend's truck fails because of the AFM it is an issue.

When my truck fails because of the AFM it is a disaster.

When it hasn't happened to you it doesn't exist.

When it happens to you it is real. :seeya:

I like your post here, but I think we are just saying not all of them have issues...sounds like you unfortunately got one and yes, it's very real for you. :( 

Back in Oct. last year, had a stibilatrek problem, 88.000 miles.

Collapsed lifter No. 1 cylinder due to the oil pressure ( I think ). A.F.M. and reduced power to engine.

Fixed it my self for about $1300.00 ( did both sides ) not thinking about what had actually caused the problem. Stibilatrek !

Last Friday going to work, stibilatrak problem, Guess what, Collapsed lifter No. cylinder.

Going for a Delete Kit time and get rid of those Deactiavation lifters. More work having to replace the cam,

but it's a fix for this bullsh*t. 

And it's cheep'er than buying a new truck. Pic of the lifter

171.JPG

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YbNormal said:

Back in Oct. last year, had a stibilatrek problem, 88.000 miles.

Collapsed lifter No. 1 cylinder due to the oil pressure ( I think ). A.F.M. and reduced power to engine.

Fixed it my self for about $1300.00 ( did both sides ) not thinking about what had actually caused the problem. Stibilatrek !

Last Friday going to work, stibilatrak problem, Guess what, Collapsed lifter No. cylinder.

Going for a Delete Kit time and get rid of those Deactiavation lifters. More work having to replace the cam,

but it's a fix for this bullsh*t. 

And it's cheep'er than buying a new truck. Pic of the lifter

171.JPG

I am hoping the Range AFM de-activation will keep me from having that problem, once warranty is gone, a full delete is going to take place.

5 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

How can Stabilitrak cause a collapsed lifter?

Can someone elaborate?

I have no idea, I think it has to be the collapsed AFM lifter caused a Stabilitrak code somehow, not the Stabilitrak causing the AFM lifter failure.

• Like 1

I think I found my answer.

From the GM Fleet website:

StabiliTrak® helps improve vehicle stability, particularly during emergency maneuvers. The StabiliTrak® control module compares your steering input with the vehicle’s actual response and, if necessary, makes small, individual brake and engine torque applications to enhance control and help you keep on track. StabiliTrak® automatically intervenes when it senses loss of lateral traction.

So the computer does something to the engine itself to reduce torque? It takes over the engine?

No wonder! Sheesh, so it's not just brake related. Kind of like throwing a wrench into a cogwheel in motion. :smash:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I think I found my answer.

From the GM Fleet website:

StabiliTrak® helps improve vehicle stability, particularly during emergency maneuvers. The StabiliTrak® control module compares your steering input with the vehicle’s actual response and, if necessary, makes small, individual brake and engine torque applications to enhance control and help you keep on track. StabiliTrak® automatically intervenes when it senses loss of lateral traction.

So the computer does something to the engine itself to reduce torque? It takes over the engine?

No wonder! Sheesh, so it's not just brake related. Kind of like throwing a wrench into a cogwheel in motion. :smash:

From another site, but same thing on the older gen truck...

I have an 2007 1500 LTZ 5.3L w/ AFM. Truck has 75000 miles on it. I recently had my truck warming up the other morning and when I got in I had the check engine light on with a "service stabilitrak" & "service traction control" message showing. It would then switch to "stabilitrak off" & "traction control off". Called the dealer and dropped the truck off and they told me the code it was showing was a cylinder 7 misfire.

Too bad the previous owner didn't get the oil consumption issue dealt with while the truck was under warranty.  My '09 Sierra drank oil for the first 50k miles.  My warranty covered the necessary repairs until it quit drinking the stuff.  My last 100k miles with the truck were flawless.  Buying a truck with 100k miles and no warranty has a cost saving advantage but presents a far greater risk for mechanical issues.  If you are otherwise happy with the truck,  top up the oil as needed.  A quart every 1200 miles sounds quite manageable.  If it gets considerably worse, have it repaired.   

I had two vehicles that used oil every 2500 miles called normal. A 94 z28 and a 99 Ford 4.6. Both went past 100K miles before sold. The last one is a dozy my 92 1 qt every 500 miles. I bought it used and figured oh well and figured my time was coming. 8 years later still going, no smoke or leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I had two vehicles that used oil every 2500 miles called normal. A 94 z28 and a 99 Ford 4.6. Both went past 100K miles before sold. The last one is a dozy my 92 1 qt every 500 miles. I bought it used and figured oh well and figured my time was coming. 8 years later still going, no smoke or leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fella I knew a lifetime ago bought a new 70 454 Chevelle SS 4 speed. A quart in 500 miles from the get. GM called it 'normal' and he spent the next 100K trying to blow it up street racing. That thing was wicked fast. Never did smoke or blow up. Carried a case of oil in the trunk. Right side rear of course. :lol:

• Like 1

Some on here have implied that the AFM problems are caused by the owners.  I call BS on that! 

My truck, which I bought brand new, has never towed anything, and has just hauled light 'loads' a couple of times.  If there's a more obsessively maintained and babied 2009 5.3L out there, I'd like to see the SOB.  I even do the gentle break-in period as called for in the owner's manual, for pete's sake. 

Mine started inexplicably drinking oil when it was one year old, about 8000 miles or so.  Funny how fast the GM dealer went from "those are the best trucks ever!" to "yeah, a lot of them do that" to "yeah, they all do that."  I did some research and immediately switched to Dexos1 rated oil (semi-synthetic Pennzoil Gold back then), and had the TSB procedures done at the end of warranty.  Couldn't have the TSB procedures performed before that due to the insane "dealer oil usage confirmation procedures."  Bottom line is, I've put the equivalent of a U-haul trailer full of cases of quality 5W-30 oil in my truck, which was supposed to have a good Chevrolet small-block V8 in it!  And turning off the damned AFM resulted in no change in my fuel mileage, so AFM is useless!    

Edited by MaverickZ71