What was/is GM Thinking???

1 minute ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Some on here have implied that the AFM problems are caused by the owners.  I call BS on that! 

My truck, which I bought brand new, has never towed anything, and has just hauled light 'loads' a couple of times.  If there's a more obsessively maintained and babied 2009 5.3L out there, I'd like to see the SOB.  I even do the gentle break-in period as called for in the owner's manual, for pete's sake. 

Mine started inexplicably drinking oil when it was one year old, about 8000 miles or so.  Funny how fast the GM dealer went from "those are the best trucks ever!" to "yeah, a lot of them do that" to "yeah, they all do that."  I did some research and immediately switched to Dexos1 rated oil (semi-synthetic Pennzoil Gold back then), and had the TSB procedures done at the end of warranty.  Couldn't have the TSB procedures performed before that due to the insane "dealer oil usage confirmation procedures."  Bottom line is, I've put the equivalent of a U-haul trailer full of cases of oil in my truck, which was supposed to have a good Chevrolet small-block V8 in it!  And turning of the damned AFM resulted in no change in my fuel mileage!  

You seem rather irate Maverick.

Why didn't you install a Catch Can? LOL

The Catch Can supporters here will probably chime in at some point.

2 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

You seem rather irate Maverick.

Why didn't you install a Catch Can? LOL

The Catch Can supporters here will probably chime in at some point.

Yeah, well, there have been some moments in the GM service bay where if I could've shoved the truck back up Mary Barra's a$$ sideways, I would've.  I'm not the only one on this website who has been there.  

Catch can may help, but does not totally offset bad piston rings and AFM lifters from the factory, pitted cams, etc.!

21 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

I think I found my answer.

From the GM Fleet website:

StabiliTrak® helps improve vehicle stability, particularly during emergency maneuvers. The StabiliTrak® control module compares your steering input with the vehicle’s actual response and, if necessary, makes small, individual brake and engine torque applications to enhance control and help you keep on track. StabiliTrak® automatically intervenes when it senses loss of lateral traction.

So the computer does something to the engine itself to reduce torque? It takes over the engine?

No wonder! Sheesh, so it's not just brake related. Kind of like throwing a wrench into a cogwheel in motion. :smash:

Yes, The computer takes over the engine. In doing so, at 60 mph and the oil pressure drops and BAM, reduced oil to lifter is what Im thinking.

There is a tech. bulletin form Melling engine parts descriping the problem with these lifters, guess what it says, 

( caused by oil pressure issues ). Ya think !

On 2/26/2019 at 8:54 AM, diyer2 said:

65 K miles now.

3 K mile oil and filter changes.

Started with Quaker State semi synthetic 5 W 30 and fleet oil filters.

Last oil change switched to Castrol GTX Magnatech 5 W 30 full synthetic and a Wix 57045 oil filter.

On a cold start my oil pressure is 50 + psi.

Warm idle 20+ psi.

Oil pressure has gone up since I bought it.

IMO my frequent oil and filter changes cleaned out the motor.

:)

Same here, 3K oil changes (Castrol) 5W30 on my 08 and 150K. I turned off the AFM at 105K as I just dont like it but I have turned it on for longer road trips. Still works.My cold and warm are the same as well.

Uses no oil. Knock on wood.

On 2/26/2019 at 9:26 AM, Northman said:

You don't have enough miles yet. It will start to smoke at startup and start using oil around 75000 miles.

Mine has miles and is still good. Its luck of the draw from my guess. Have had issues with my buddies but not mine.

At our shop there are 5 Rams with cylinder deactivation. The ones with over 100K miles one needed lifters and cam replacement. One has 200K still going, non use oil. One of my brothers cars is a challenger with the Hemi one of his wife’s cars. At 40K it broke a timing chain. She was just cruising on the freeway at the time. It was fixed under warranty. He was advised to put a tune in it to eliminate cylinder deactivation. The was a few years ago. When my brother races his little red express truck she sometimes goes with and plays with that car. No more engine problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Mary Barra took over in 2014.

You might have to dig back a bit farther to shove your truck up that CEO's A$$  

I don't seem to be on Dan Akerson's Christmas card list anymore, so I'm not sure what his current address is.  So Mary will do, or I can always road trip to leave it in KC

Edited by MaverickZ71

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎26 at 1:12 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

Some on here have implied that the AFM problems are caused by the owners.  I call BS on that! 

My truck, which I bought brand new, has never towed anything, and has just hauled light 'loads' a couple of times.  If there's a more obsessively maintained and babied 2009 5.3L out there, I'd like to see the SOB.  I even do the gentle break-in period as called for in the owner's manual, for pete's sake. 

Mine started inexplicably drinking oil when it was one year old, about 8000 miles or so.  Funny how fast the GM dealer went from "those are the best trucks ever!" to "yeah, a lot of them do that" to "yeah, they all do that."  I did some research and immediately switched to Dexos1 rated oil (semi-synthetic Pennzoil Gold back then), and had the TSB procedures done at the end of warranty.  Couldn't have the TSB procedures performed before that due to the insane "dealer oil usage confirmation procedures."  Bottom line is, I've put the equivalent of a U-haul trailer full of cases of quality 5W-30 oil in my truck, which was supposed to have a good Chevrolet small-block V8 in it!  And turning of the damned AFM resulted in no change in my fuel mileage, so AFM is useless!    

Your '09 sounds like the one I owned!  However, I followed their steps and procedures.  It was a lengthy and involved process but each step was explained clearly to me and the end result was the oil usage problem was resolved.  I had the truck for another 100K miles and never needed to top up my oil.  I felt that I was treated well during the process and didn't hesitate to buy another GM with AFM.  I've owned this truck for three years and have never seen the dipstick level change!  Your issue seams more to do with dealer/customer relations because there is no need for your truck to be using oil.

I got a new body style 07 vin j was driving on the hwy took and exit just barely coasting. My truck cuts out and hasnt started since. I have been told its crank or cam position sensor, changed them not the problem... I get it jumped time, a valve is stuck or dropped... I got a p0340 code 

Looking for help troubleshooting or some other experience to go off 

17 hours ago, Donstar said:

Your '09 sounds like the one I owned!  However, I followed their steps and procedures.  It was a lengthy and involved process but each step was explained clearly to me and the end result was the oil usage problem was resolved.  I had the truck for another 100K miles and never needed to top up my oil.  I felt that I was treated well during the process and didn't hesitate to buy another GM with AFM.  I've owned this truck for three years and have never seen the dipstick level change!  Your issue seams more to do with dealer/customer relations because there is no need for your truck to be using oil.

Just like some people purchase better equipment/vehicles than others (the luck of the draw), you had a much better dealer process than I had. 

The GM megastore dealer a block away from where I live was very familiar with the AFM problems, but refused to do the warranty work on my truck, because they already had too much work to do, and I didn't buy the truck from them.  

I bought the truck at a small town dealer 100+ miles away, where some relatives live.  I had to make many trips to the small town dealer, who said they were unfamiliar with this problem at the beginning.  (Now the Service Mgr at that same dealer says "Yeah, they seem to all have some AFM problem sooner or later."  He only drives Toyotas, by the way.  And I don't like Toyotas.)  So many people get their oil changed at the dealer these days, and the oil level is never checked before the drain plug is pulled, that they don't even know if their vehicle is burning oil! 

I too followed the small-town GM dealer's steps and procedures, down to the end.  Their oil consumption test procedure was a complete farce, which they finally abandoned.  If I took it in and it was 1/2 quart low, they would dump in a whole quart, which in my view was counterproductive and may have damaged the engine. 

Finally, I had to complain to GM regional/corporate to even get the TSB procedure performed before the warranty ran out.  The only thing that would have completely fixed my truck was new piston rings and AFM lifters, but that was declined before warranty expired, as they dragged it out, spending too much time hassling over that using 1 quart of oil within 60 highway miles "was within normal operating limits", and I couldn't afford a lawyer to force their hand.  After the warranty ran out, a complete engine teardown and rebuild was offered, completely at my expense, of course.

I used to be the world's biggest GM fan, but now if someone gave me a new GM vehicle to drive for free, I'd be skeptical of it "being able to complete the mission".  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Just like some people purchase better equipment/vehicles than others (the luck of the draw), you had a much better dealer process than I had. 

The GM megastore dealer a block away from where I live was very familiar with the AFM problems, but refused to do the warranty work on my truck, because they already had too much work to do, and I didn't buy the truck from them.  

I bought the truck at a small town dealer 100+ miles away, where some relatives live.  I had to make many trips to the small town dealer, who said they were unfamiliar with this problem at the beginning.  (Now the Service Mgr at that same dealer says "Yeah, they seem to all have some AFM problem sooner or later."  He only drives Toyotas, by the way.  And I don't like Toyotas.)  So many people get their oil changed at the dealer these days, and the oil level is never checked before the drain plug is pulled, that they don't even know if their vehicle is burning oil! 

I too followed the small-town GM dealer's steps and procedures, down to the end.  Their oil consumption test procedure was a complete farce, which they finally abandoned.  If I took it in and it was 1/2 quart low, they would dump in a whole quart, which in my view was counterproductive and may have damaged the engine. 

Finally, I had to complain to GM regional/corporate to even get the TSB procedure performed before the warranty ran out.  The only thing that would have completely fixed my truck was new piston rings and AFM lifters, but that was declined before warranty expired, as they dragged it out, spending too much time hassling over that using 1 quart of oil within 60 highway miles "was within normal operating limits", and I couldn't afford a lawyer to force their hand.  After the warranty ran out, a complete engine teardown and rebuild was offered, completely at my expense, of course.

I used to be the world's biggest GM fan, but now if someone gave me a new GM vehicle to drive for free, I'd be skeptical of it "being able to complete the mission".  

The final fix on my '09 was major engine work but they provided me a replacement truck while mine was in the shop.  Funny thing was that I was upset by the fact they were going to tear my engine apart.  I was worried that some kid would work on it and I'd end up with more issues.  The service manager introduced me to the technician who was going to perform the surgery.  Once I discovered his passion for Harleys was equal to (if not greater)  than mine,  I knew my truck would be in capable hands!  Sorry about your experience.  

• Thanks 1

Just like MaverickZ7 - I USED to be a GM fan but these AFM issues have turned me away.

The guy that suggested it is not a common issue has to have a screw loose (or maybe works at a Chevy dealer) because horror stories of the AFM issue is all over the web on many GM forums.

The body of my truck is in very good condition so I am beginning to save money for either an AFM delete package or a new crate motor (if needed).  

Looks like GM made the same type of decision the Ford did on the Pinto gas tank, but at least people are not being roasted do to their decision.

What is GM thinking?  Unfortunately, seemingly the same thoughts as most of the manufacturers today--lie, cheat, & steal--pump out defective product as fast as you can, and take the $ and run!  I can't believe our society has become so passive that $60K+ defective vehicles are accepted as a 'normal' disposable item to be pawned off on somebody else and replaced every 2-3 years!

Edited by MaverickZ71

• 3 months later...
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 3:02 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

A fella I knew a lifetime ago bought a new 70 454 Chevelle SS 4 speed. A quart in 500 miles from the get. GM called it 'normal' and he spent the next 100K trying to blow it up street racing. That thing was wicked fast. Never did smoke or blow up. Carried a case of oil in the trunk. Right side rear of course. :lol:

I thought you were going to say carried a case of oil in the trunk right beside the case of beer.  :D

Edited by jagabom