Oil change by mileage? Or by oil life %?

Just curious about oil change intervals.. Do most folks go by mileage? Or by the Oil Life percentage indicator?
I change mine (full synthetic) at 20% oil life which so far has always been 6000 miles

Your truck, your choice. I’ve got an 18, CC Z71 6.2, I change mine at approximately 50% every 3-4K miles especially since “Full Synthetic” isn’t 100% synthetic anymore. I use Mobil1 Annual protection with same Mobil1 oil filter. I also run Amsoil signature series, when I have time to drive to my favorite 4x4 shop. 15k on it so far and runs super smooth with zero ticking and extremely responsive. Cost to me for being proactive is well worth not having the aggravation of power loss do to dirty oil.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, qwank said:

don't go over 5k with conventional and you'll be fine

Fixed it for ya

When I do an oil change I reset my trip meter B to 0 and my oil life monitor to 100%.  When I get to 5000 miles I change it no matter what the oil life % says.  I do a lot of towing and short trips with my truck and the last two oil changes have been right at 10% life at 5000 miles.  The oil life monitors in todays vehicles are pretty good at what they do

Edited by Jacoby
  • Like 1

I usually go with the DIC when it hits less than 20%. I don't have a problem with  the "algorithm".  I drive my truck daily and this method finds me changing my oil approximately 3X per year, which I think is ample.  If I go in for another issue, and my oil life is less than 30%, ill have it changed to save a trip!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jacoby said:

Fixed it for ya

When I do an oil change I reset my trip meter B to 0 and my oil life monitor to 100%.  When I get to 5000k miles I change it no matter what the oil life % says.  I do a lot of towing and short trips with my truck and the last two oil changes have been right at 10% life at 5000k miles.  The oil life monitors in todays vehicles are pretty good at what they do

GM bases the algorithms on using synthetic, since they recommended  it in anything 2011 and newer.  use conventional if you want, but I say synthetic just to be safe.  And like I said, it's cheap anyways.  I use the Walmart brand stuff in half of my cars and it's perfectly fine. 

My OLI went to Zero couple weeks ago and it was 7,700 on the miles.  I changed this one @ 8600 miles but usually go 10K.  Consumes 1/4-1/2 qt that is expected at that mileage.  I have documented used oil analysis out to 12K with still appreciable TBN levels so 10K is fine with me. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, elcamino said:

Full synthetic oil is a marketing term that in no way defines the quantity of synthetic content.  You get what you pay for,   Cheaper isn’t always better!

The only true "Fully" synthetic oil is labeled 100% synthetic. As you said, "Full synthetic" is a marketing term, and very misleading IMO.

OP is asking about the intervals, not which oil to use. There are other threads with this debate.

"Full Synthetic" such as Mobil 1 or others should be just fine.

There are Amsoil fans out there with deep pockets. I am sure it is a great oil but unfortunately it is not for everyone.

Oils today are far superior to conventional types of years past.

• Like 1