Oil change by mileage? Or by oil life %?

1 hour ago, qwank said:

GM bases the algorithms on using synthetic, since they recommended  it in anything 2011 and newer.  use conventional if you want, but I say synthetic just to be safe.  And like I said, it's cheap anyways.  I use the Walmart brand stuff in half of my cars and it's perfectly fine. 

I see this went over your head a little bit.  You said "don't go over 5k miles with synthetic and you'll be fine".  I changed synthetic to "conventional"

The reason for my correction to your post is that you can go WAY over 5k miles on synthetic and be just fine.  Its conventional oil that you don't want to go to long with. 

Me personally I use synthetic in everything I own from my lawn equipment to my dirt bikes, atv's & SxS on up to my CTSV and my truck.

I to use whats on sale though.  Im not some Amsoil diehard as I believe there are plenty of options just as good for a lot less

Edited by Jacoby

OP is asking about the intervals, not which oil to use. There are other threads with this debate.

"Full Synthetic" such as Mobil 1 or others should be just fine.

There are Amsoil fans out there with deep pockets. I am sure it is a great oil but unfortunately it is not for everyone.

Oils today are far superior to conventional types of years past.

It does pertain to oil change intervals due to the type of oil used. It’s like asking what’s the maximum mileage a stock size tire will get, stock size of what brand has a lot to do with it as well as LT or P etc.

Sent from above

It is my understanding, can't find the link, that GM capped the OLM at 7,500 miles.  Which makes sense since our 2016 Suburban hits 7,500 miles when the OLM gets to 0% every time.  So going by the OLM is a good guide.  Especially since dexos 1 gen 2 oil requirement by GM is more on the lines of a synthetic than a straight on conventional oil.  So if you run any brand oil that has the dexos listed on the bottle going by the OLM will work well.  Here is a list of Licensed dexos®1 Gen 2 brands

If you want to keep it simple, the easy way is like most, change at 5k miles, and do the tire rotation as well.  Every 5k is an easy number to remember.  I as well use Trip 2 to keep track of oil change mileage.

If you want to go longer, that is not a problem.  Like on our 2016 Suburban, the UOA's show we are good to 15k oil changes and so that is what we are doing.  Running AMSOIL Signature Series 0w-20 and an Ea017 filter.  Can you do the same with Mobil 1or any other synthetic?   Probably, but a used oil analysis is the way to make sure.

• Like 1

I go by mileage. The oil life monitor is nice, but just not comfortable depending on that alone. I use "Full Synthetics" and hold it to around 5,000 miles. The monitor generally says 30-35% left. 

4 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

Every 5k and rotate. F that algorithm BS...

This is what I do on my truck, wife's car, and taught all of my kids to do the same. Don't go past 5,000 and always rotate the tires.

First year in college, my daughter took her's to have the oil change/tire rotation done. Afterwards, I asked (it was her first time scheduling and handling it all alone) how it went. She says "I didn't rotate the tires because the mechanic said they were wearing so evenly I didn't need to". I told her the reason for that was because she always rotated them. She immediately understood and has always had it done since then, which was 6  years and a car ago.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Fixed it for ya

When I do an oil change I reset my trip meter B to 0 and my oil life monitor to 100%.  When I get to 5000k miles I change it no matter what the oil life % says.  I do a lot of towing and short trips with my truck and the last two oil changes have been right at 10% life at 5000k miles.  The oil life monitors in todays vehicles are pretty good at what they do

So you change your oil every five million miles? Sounds right..........

Shakey

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

So you change your oil every five million miles? Sounds right..........

Shakey

Yeah. In my 25 yrs of legally being able to drive and between the 30 something different vehicles I’ve owned in that time all with internal combustion engines, I still haven’t had to change the oil once. That 5 million mile oil I use is something else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Jacoby said:

Yeah. In my 25 yrs of legally being able to drive and between the 30 something different vehicles I’ve owned in that time all with internal combustion engines, I still haven’t had to change the oil once. That 5 million mile oil I use is something else. 

Easy big fella. Just helping you with the math, that's all........

15 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Easy big fella. Just helping you with the math, that's all........

Don’t worry lil guy I’m good. Nothing I enjoy more then folks who come on forums to critique the grammatical errors in other people’s posts. Keep up the good work

• Like 1

Just now, Jacoby said:

Don’t worry lil guy I’m good. Nothing I enjoy more then folks who come on forums to critique the grammatical errors in other people’s posts. Keep up the good work

Yeah, that's why I'm here. Seriously. I get a salary plus commission for every button I push. You'll do nicely.......

• Haha 1