ruggerag

Clunking noise over small bumps after bilstein shock install

And if you lost the original nut you can do like the photo above & add a couple of washers under the new bilstein nut.

This shouldn't need to be Mega tight, the torque spec wasn't much from memory, just make sure everything is seated correctly before tightening.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I moved everything back to the leveled setting on the bilsteins, swapped the factory top nut (which is about 1/4" taller), tightened it up to show three threads at the top (started getting pretty tight, I had two full threads above the bilstein nut, so it's definitely tighter), and then when I reassembled the truck and dropped it back on the ground I hit the nut with the impact from the top. It moved pretty easily about 1/2 turn then tightened up again. No more clunking and I think it actually rides a little better than before. 

I can't believe I wasted so much time taking everything apart, trying to put lift blocks in, swapping ride heights, etc, when I could have just hit it with the impact from the engine bay. 

Thank yall for the help!

• Like 1

I think I’m going to the parts store to gather the original nuts and replace the Bilstien versions. This should be a simple swap, correct? I.E. I should not need to do anything but remove and replace?

Thanks for the insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I’m going to the parts store to gather the original nuts and replace the Bilstien versions. This should be a simple swap, correct? I.E. I should not need to do anything but remove and replace?

Thanks for the insight

With the weight of the truck on the wheels you should be able to remove the top nut, assuming the shock shaft does not spin.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight

Yes, that is all you need to do. I used the impact to get out to the point that the shaft started spinning. Then I used an open end wrench 15mm for the Bilstein nut and 18mm for the factory plus a key for the to of the strut. A crescent wrench should also work. It is a pretty simple fix.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I just had Bilstein's installed on my truck last week, with a ReadyLift 2.25" level kit, and things were fine until i drove it on wash board dirtroads this weekend.

This thread is perfect and i wish i had found it before i started a new thread.  Will be checking the strut mounts this afternoon.

I did seem to hear a similar noise coming from the rear, probably a phantom noise, but wondered if anyone experienced something in the rear shocks with the Bilstein's

Just make sure everything is tight. 

18 hours ago, CullowheeTB said:

I just had Bilstein's installed on my truck last week, with a ReadyLift 2.25" level kit, and things were fine until i drove it on wash board dirtroads this weekend.

This thread is perfect and i wish i had found it before i started a new thread.  Will be checking the strut mounts this afternoon.

I did seem to hear a similar noise coming from the rear, probably a phantom noise, but wondered if anyone experienced something in the rear shocks with the Bilstein's

Front clunk noise = not having the top hat nut tightened enough.

Rear end noise probably is not likely due to the new rear shocks.

There have been reports of creaky clunky sounding rear springs here and there.