The Traxxas TRX-4 Blazer Is the Coolest Off Roader We've Seen In Years

Gorehamj

traxxas blazer.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-5-2019

The new unibody Chevy Blazer may not be your cup of tea, or may not fit your budget. But if you have $500 and want to enjoy some serious off-road action check out the Traxxas TRX-4 Blazer RC vehicle. It is styled after the iconic 1979 K5 Blazer and uses Traxxas' proven running gear. 

Traxxas went so far as to get an official GM license for this scale reproduction. You can learn more at the Traxxas site.  

• Like 3

Traxxas is killing it with the TRX4.  The new Blazer, is a great looking body to add to the lineup. 

After selling my lifted 2008 GMC Canyon (1:1 size), not having an off road truck left a hole.  A post by somebody on the Coloradofans forum brought my attention to 1/10 scale RC crawlers.  It was just what I needed.  I picked myself up a Vaterra Ascender, with the caged '72 K10 body.  The Vaterra is a great truck, at a notably lower pricepoint.  I've been loving my tiny truck.  I highly recommend getting a 1/10 scale RC crawler, whether it be a Traxxas, or another model (with a Chevy body, of course).  I'm 30, and definitely not too old to play with toys.  Hehe.

Here's a video I made recently of my crawler.

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 4

5c7e92e52c698_traxxasblazer.thumb.png.b6bced00ffe034b1b2062f69d2284860.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-5-2019

The new unibody Chevy Blazer may not be your cup of tea, or may not fit your budget. But if you have $500 and want to enjoy some serious off-road action check out the Traxxas TRX-4 Blazer RC vehicle. It is styled after the iconic 1979 K5 Blazer and uses Traxxas' proven running gear. 
[/url]  
Traxxas went so far as to get an official GM license for this scale reproduction. You can learn more at the
Traxxas site.  

I remember back in the day several of these being daily driven to our construction sites. Usually running 350s, 373 gears 350 transmission. My uncle loved Broncos. 351, 370 gears, c-6 transmission. Big tires, lifted. I chuckle when people say omg you can't lift with a V-6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, rkj__ said:

Traxxas is killing it with the TRX4.  The new Blazer, is a great looking body to add to the lineup. 

After selling my lifted 2008 GMC Canyon (1:1 size), not having an off road truck left a hole.  A post by somebody on the Coloradofans forum brought my attention to 1/10 scale RC crawlers.  It was just what I needed.  I picked myself up a Vaterra Ascender, with the caged '72 K10 body.  The Vaterra is a great truck, at a notably lower pricepoint.  I've been loving my tiny truck.  I highly recommend getting a 1/10 scale RC crawler, whether it be a Traxxas, or another model (with a Chevy body, of course).  I'm 30, and definitely not too old to play with toys.  Hehe.

Here's a video I made recently of my crawler.

That's cool as hell, nice vid, thanks.

16 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

That's cool as hell, nice vid, thanks.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it!

Prior to getting this little truck, I had not edited a video in 8 years.  My enthusiasm lead to me recording little clips when I took the truck out.  I was watching a lot of RC videos on YouTube, and thought I'd take a stab at editing a video of my own.  I was pretty excited about my first effort, but nobody else seemed to be.  lol  So, I watched more videos, and started analyzing a little more what I thought made them good, and then tried to improve my own efforts.  There's still plenty of room for improvement, but I'm mostly just doing it for my own amusement.  I do all the recording, and editing on an iPhone!

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 1

Cool video. My son has a Traxxas Summit and a brushless Slash. The Summit is so much fun with switched locking diffs and switched low/high gear, the thing can perform some great climbs. It was able to pull my little guy around the yard in a sled when he was two. The Slash is just stupid fast, it will hit 60mph, too fast for my reflexes. 

• 3 months later...

Love it! Traxxas vids in the GM Forums! I'm big into RC myself just been a little busy the last few years but I will say overall between 2008-2011 I probably dumped $11k into the hobby. Wife says, "you don't use them as often. Should get rid of them" I told her if she can get me 50% of what I paid I'd let them all go including spare parts which I have plenty of brand new in the bags spare parts and the vehicles. All the way from a mini losi up to the Nitro 4x4 trucks which electric has replaced due to popularity. 

I have a few Traxxas slash 4x4 trucks  as when I was trucking at times if I didn't bring mine and had downtime so I'd find one on sale at a local hobby shop and then go bashing, drifting, tearing around in the sand. People these days are lucky as they have less water issues and more battery reliability and performance even with the lipo batteries. I was part of the crossover to lipos. We had some scary times back then.