Gas vs. Diesel, please read 1st

I think it's more around the theory that you pay more upfront but do get more on a trade for a DMax/Allison vs. the similarly equipped gas.  Of course you're not going to recoup the entire cost.  Its the same theory on the price of a 2wd vs. 4wd.  The 4wd will cost more upfront but you'll also get more on trade.

As an example, I valued two identical High  Country 2500's on NADA, One with gas the other diesel and plugged in 36,000 miles (all options identical).  The gas showed a clean trade value of $44,675 and the Dmax showed $51175.00.  NADA allowed $6500.00 for the Diesel option.  

With the price I got on mine after discounts, rebates etc I paid approx. $9300 for the diesel option.  So  using NADA numbers I retained about 70% of that option.  Not saying this is a perfect example but does put some numbers to the theory.  

Edited by CRApex
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CRApex said:

I think it's more around the theory that you pay more upfront but do get more on a trade for a DMax/Allison vs. the similarity equipped gas.  Of course you're not going to recoup the entire cost.  Its the same theory on the price of a 2wd vs. 4wd.  The 4wd will cost more upfront but you'll also get more on trade.

As an example, I valued two identical High  Country 2500's on NADA, One with gas the other diesel and plugged in 36,000 miles (all options identical).  The gas showed a clean trade value of $44,675 and the Dmax showed $51175.00.  NADA allowed $6500.00 for the Diesel option.  

With the price I got on mine after discounts, rebates etc I paid approx. $9300 for the diesel option.  So  using NADA numbers I retained about 70% of that option.  Not saying this is a perfect example but does put some numbers to the theory.  

this is how you do it, folks.

Thank you all so very much for your input. I read all the responses at least 3-4 times (except the ones that felt like mom and dad fighting). I was convinced from this thread that the 6L gas would be a completely adequate truck and beyond reliable, bullet proof. In the end I could argue I was gun shy about buying too small a truck again but could be I just wanted it. I ended up with a Duramax, I got a killer deal on a used one and paid about what I was looking at spending on the 6L. Time will tell if I made the right choice but I’m real happy right now. Can’t wait to tow the TT over a mountain!!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, touchracing said:

I for one enjoy watching a gas Vs diesel thread devolve into a "Stop liking what I don't like!" fight. 

Me too.

We have both types around here. 

Depends on both the job it will be doing and the preference of the primary driver.

Let's see,  diesel in my area is $2.98.  E85 in my area is $1.68.   I can average (city, highway, rural gravel roads, hauling, etc) about 11 mpg with my 2015 2500 6.0 on E85, which is per mile fuel cost of 15.25 cents a mile.    On diesel, I would have to get between 20-21 mpg average just to break even on the cost per mile.  I have yet to see a 2500 Dmax average 20+ mpg for all miles.... city, highway, rural gravel, hauling, etc.     I still cannot justify a 10K or more higher cost and a higher cost per mile to operate by getting a diesel pickup.  Only if I was towing very heavy frequently, which I don't.  I generally never tow more than about 7K.   I got the 2500 because it will haul significantly more than a 1500. Putting 2200+ lb  in the back of a 1500 is not the wisest idea. The gasser does fine for all that.  I will only use diesel in my semi trucks.