F150 with the 5.0

My buddy was looking for the deal many of us got with the 2018 GMC Sierras. Unfortunately he could not find one and ended up trading in his 2013 F150 3.5 EcoBoost for a 2018 F150 with the 5.0. Now that 5.0 is pretty damned impressive. 395 HP and 400 pound-feet of torque all from a 5 liter engine. That blows my mind as I have the 6.2 with 420 / 460.

But...

That truck has been in the shop for almost a month trying to figure out some weird clacking going on from the engine on de-acceleration. So my buddy's truck with the push button start, rear climate control, trailer backup assist, 360 camera, etc. sits at the dealership. 

Meanwhile I'm f*cking loving my 2018 GMC Sierra SLT with the 6.2. 

I was telling another buddy #2 of mine, who has a slightly older F150 with the 5.0, about buddy #1's problems. I said the bright side is he's gotten to drive around a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost and now the 2018 F150 with the 3.0 liter diesel while his 5.0 is in the shop. I asked buddy #1 what he thought of the 3 trucks compared to each other. He said they all have their pros and cons. Buddy #2 said "You should tell him he got conned"

Why the post? Because damn I can't tell him that!   and now... it's off my chest. Good day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t get big headed... he’ll be laughing at you when you’re engine is clanking from lifters. Hahaha

They all have their issues.  

I love my ‘18 Silverado.

But I also really like the 5.0 F150’s. Their 5.0 feels really good. 

I’ll probably get crap for saying I like fords on a GM board. But I’m not very brand loyal these days. (Although I’ve driven a Silverado for the past 11 years)

Edited by rah7777777
  • Like 1

Well for starters the 5.0L is a DOHC engine, it has 32v, twice the amount of an LS, and 4 camshafts where we have 1. DOHC almost always can flow more air through the heads due to them being larger and more valves, more air means you can add more fuel and make more power. To be honest, a small displacement DOHC is a really bad design for a pick up truck engine imo. Secondly, the 5.0L really has had lack-luster performance since its inception in what, 2010/11? Only recently has Ford's engineers revamped it and improved the torque curve. A coworker has an early one and its like the truck doesn't even want to move until the needle surpasses 3,000rpm. Given it's power numbers are almost matched by a CIB OHV 16v 5.3L on E85, a very similar displacement engine, it kind of embarrassing to Ford IMO. They are slowly starting to take GM down a page on the streets with these boosted 5L mustangs though, these engine love the boost. My brother just bought a 2018 5L as well but he is 2-3 trucks behind my 6.2L on 33's on a sprint to 100. 

DOHC are heavier, 200 more moving parts, top heavy, more expensive to play with, worse on fuel than a comparable OHV, physically larger and heavier, 6 foot long timing chain. Each design has their advantages, typically you see DOHC in smaller displacement engines or modern sports cars. I hope they keep the Corvette OHV as that is a better overall design and what makes GM small blocks so popular. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Mustang guys have been chasing oiling and engine noises for a few years now on the 5.0.  From what I've read, some have gotten engines, others are told its piston slap, but in the end, there appears to be a questionable oiling system design in some spots. 

24 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

Don’t get big headed... he’ll be laughing at you when you’re engine is clanking from lifters. Hahaha

They all have their issues.  

I love my ‘18 Silverado.

But I also really like the 5.0 F150’s. Their 5.0 feels really good. 

I’ll probably get crap for saying I like fords on a GM board. But I’m not very brand loyal these days. (Although I’ve driven a Silverado for the past 11 years)

Oh believe me I'm not getting a big head here. I've owned a 2015 Chevy Silverado 5.3 6 Spd - totaled in a head on collision but that thing ran oh so nice. A 2015 GMC Sierra 6.2 8 Spd - 11 trips to the dealer with trans issues. And now the 2018 6.2 8 Spd - This one here has been a jewel. So yeah I know the good and the bad.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Well for starters the 5.0L is a DOHC engine, it has 32v, twice the amount of an LS, and 4 camshafts where we have 1. DOHC almost always can flow more air through the heads due to them being larger and more valves, more air means you can add more fuel and make more power. To be honest, a small displacement DOHC is a really bad design for a pick up truck engine imo. Secondly, the 5.0L really has had lack-luster performance since its inception in what, 2010/11? Only recently has Ford's engineers revamped it and improved the torque curve. A coworker has an early one and its like the truck doesn't even want to move until the needle surpasses 3,000rpm. Given it's power numbers are almost matched by a CIB OHV 16v 5.3L on E85, a very similar displacement engine, it kind of embarrassing to Ford IMO. They are slowly starting to take GM down a page on the streets with these boosted 5L mustangs though, these engine love the boost. My brother just bought a 2018 5L as well but he is 2-3 trucks behind my 6.2L on 33's on a sprint to 100. 

DOHC are heavier, 200 more moving parts, top heavy, more expensive to play with, worse on fuel than a comparable OHV, physically larger and heavier, 6 foot long timing chain. Each design has their advantages, typically you see DOHC in smaller displacement engines or modern sports cars. I hope they keep the Corvette OHV as that is a better overall design and what makes GM small blocks so popular. 

Thanks for that info. Very informative and quite honestly does not look like you googled the sh!t but rather know your sh!t. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jimmyc! said:

Oh believe me I'm not getting a big head here. I've owned a 2015 Chevy Silverado 5.3 6 Spd - totaled in a head on collision but that thing ran oh so nice. A 2015 GMC Sierra 6.2 8 Spd - 11 trips to the dealer with trans issues. And now the 2018 6.2 8 Spd - This one here has been a jewel. So yeah I know the good and the bad.

I was just messing with you. Partially because in my head, i'm already gearing up for lifter issues in the next few years. 

You know that "expect the worse and hope for the best scenario" haha. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

I was just messing with you. Partially because in my head, i'm already gearing up for lifter issues in the next few years. 

No worries. I think anymore we all hope for the best. These things aren't like my '68 Chevy 1/2 ton with the 327. Sofa king easy to work on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

It is such a rare and small percentage of people that have that I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just change your oil regularly with the correct oil and drive it. Chances are slim you will have any issues even if you read too much in to it on a forum...

Tyler

13 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

It is such a rare and small percentage of people that have that I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just change your oil regularly with the correct oil and drive it. Chances are slim you will have any issues even if you read too much in to it on a forum...

Tyler

Back to that "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" thing haha. 

I'm in it for the long haul, so just getting my brain ready for it. My last truck was 16 years old when I sold it. 

Planning on giving this one to my 4 year old in about 12 years :-)

Assuming, there are no accidents in there that screw my plan up. 

pop the hood on that 5.0....tell me its "small", displacement is sometimes misleading lol!

Ford has some "big" engines.

I have the HO 3.5 in my '18 Raptor & while I was a little skeptical initially after 850 miles I'm starting to really like the way the power builds w/ the tt V6 & the smoothness of the transmission, my best takeaway is that the power/tq seems more "usable" in city/country roads vs. the N/A V8 competition. Also - at least the HO version - has "sneaky" strong acceleration @ part/partial throttle similar to a diesel HD truck.

31 minutes ago, jagabom said:

Jimmyc!, what do you mean  Buddy #2 said "You should tell him he got conned"?

Jim

A play on the phrase "Pros and cons". Conned because he's having issues with his truck that Ford seems to think is fixed.