My 18 GMC Truck with only 15k miles on it has a rusted front passenger door hinge.

Even though it’s an easy fix, curious, Anyone else having issues with rusted door hinges??

Looks like it’s only powder coated and hasn’t finished having a coat of paint.

da58231dfd938d4115d7ce144442a081.jpg

How it should look

be092c56c286250f5882c67d6fd37a79.jpg

Sent from above

• Thanks 1

Could it possibly be rail dust that has spiraled into slight surface rust?

I hear of rail dust spots often on newer trucks on the outside body.

Just possible that it could collect on the inner surfaces of hinges and panels etc.

Still looks better than what a Rancho does after about 10k miles! LOL

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Just possible that it could collect on the inner surfaces of hinges and panels etc.

No, it is not properly painted at all, looks like overspray at best. I sent pics to the dealer and they are sending to GM.

Edited by SS502

Not possible, it’s only on my right front passenger side, everywhere else the hinges are smooth black but right side is white with rough powder coated texture to it and rust isn’t just surface rust, it actually has a few areas that are imbedded deeper. Called GM and first let the lady know it’s not directed towards her but I’m starting to get sick of stupid little crap like this that have been overlooked at the quality control sight at the GM plant. Mine was made/assembled in Mexico after Trump became President LOL! My wife just said it hasn’t been two years yet so not time for a new one lol, the intention was to keep it especially after more than $10K put into it! FUDGE!!!! I’ll have to wait and see as time goes on.

Sent from above
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Not possible, it’s only on my right front passenger side, everywhere else the hinges are smooth black but right side is white with rough powder coated texture to it and rust isn’t just surface rust, it actually has a few areas that are imbedded deeper. Called GM and first let the lady know it’s not directed towards her but I’m starting to get sick of stupid little crap like this that have been overlooked at the quality control sight at the GM plant. Mine was made/assembled in Mexico after Trump became President LOL! My wife just said it hasn’t been two years yet so not time for a new one lol, the intention was to keep it especially after more than $10K put into it! FUDGE!!!! I’ll have to wait and see as time goes on.

Sent from above

As is mine and all others are painted. Service manager already texted me back saying that they will fix it regardless of what GM says.

• Like 1

Welcome to the new GM.  The company that hopes you're too busy being awed by stupid fluff like a 6-way tailgate and 4-cylinder turbo engines that get worse gas mileage than the V8s, to notice that they're too cheap (even on $50-60-70-80K trucks) to spend another dollar to keep your truck from rusting down around you.  :shakehead:

• Like 3

so this is quite interesting. I went out and looked at mine. a couple things:

1) this part is not connected to the door hinge. You have to open the door to see it, but it looks like it is only a bracket to mount the front fender panel. Regardless, it shouldn't be rusty.

2) on my 2015, the drivers side is painted glossy black, but the passenger side looks like bare steel possibly galvanized or something, but it is not even painted a little bit. luckily I can't see any rust on it, but due to where I'm parked I can't open the passenger door all the way. I will look closer when i move the truck.

So it appears that for some reason during assembly these left and right brackets are not finished in the same way. I would still demand the dealer give you a non-rusty part. See what else they can tell you about it.

• Like 2

My 18 is the same way.  The passenger side is bright metal, no paint.  I think the driver's side is painted because I never noticed it.  The passenger side caught my attention because it's shiney.  I think I will coat mine in car wax or sealant to help keep it from rusting.

I don't recall this being the case on my 15.

Edited by Mike GMC
  • Like 2

My 18 is the same way.  The passenger side is bright metal, no paint.  I think the driver's side is painted because I never noticed it.  The passenger side caught my attention because it's shiney.  I think I will coat mine in car wax or sealant to help keep it from rusting.

I don't recall this being the case on my 15.

Get it fixed!

Sent from above

So you think this is a manufacturing defect?  It sounds like they built all the 18's this way.  Or at least a great deal of them.  I would guess they would just tell me it's fine and that's the way they are.  Particularly since mine is not rusted.

5 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

So you think this is a manufacturing defect?  It sounds like they built all the 18's this way.  Or at least a great deal of them.  I would guess they would just tell me it's fine and that's the way they are.  Particularly since mine is not rusted.

I would ask them why they felt it necessary to paint one side and not the other? If they painted the drivers side to prevent corrosion, it stands to reason the passenger side should have the same preventative measure in place. We all know GM didn't paint the drivers side (IMO) for appearance purposes, that part is not even seen unless the door is open.

Edited by SS502
  • Like 2

The hinge manufacture didn't properly prep the hinge for paint. It was likely new metal, once they turned it into a hinge it gets thrown in a bin for the paint shop. There was light oxidization on the hinge before they painted it. Took to long to paint it without protecting it from surface rust. If you ever have sandblasted metal, then had the slightest bit of moisture (even humid air), you know how fast the rust starts. I have a pressure washer sand blaster and if I don't towel dry and oil my part immediately after blasting, it will develop surface rust in less than 10 minutes. I buy John Deere heavy equipment and my last new machines the paint has just been falling off because they didn't properly prep the steel for paint in a combination of JD not using a surface primer before painting. I would complain about it, they should get you new ones. I got new running boards and rear bumper on my old 2010 Sierra when they corroded and our 2015 Canyon also received new boards from corroded chrome. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 1