On 3/13/2019 at 3:38 AM, C/K Man said:

It looks to me that the L8T is an iron block Gen. V without AFM/Dynamic Skip Fire.  I see a lot to like in this engine, particularly the increased displacement, forged crank, and siamesed cylinder block with bored cooling passages.  I would like to see E85 capability in the L8T eventually, but I think the 6L90 and 3.73:1 gear ratio will be fine.  I hope the exhaust manifold bolts don't break under hard use, something I see in 6.0L's often.

As for the Ford 7.3L, I have questions!  I looks like a good truck engine, but so for I don't see much that makes me believe it will have much of a future as a high performance/crate engine.  While it certainly has displacement and the bottom end looks strong, the valve train doesn't look like it will tolerate very high r.p.m.'s.  The valve stems and springs look very tall, and the pushrods are also quite long.  Lots of inertia and I wonder about stability at high r.p.m.'s with an aggressive camshaft.  The bore spacing is 4.65" and they are running a 4.22" bore, so it looks like the 7.3L also has a siamesed cylinder block.  However, it appears Ford has machined slots between the cylinders to permit coolant flow between them.  These slots are open at the top (block deck), which might be a problem if someone decides to hang a blower or turbo on one of these things.  Heads look to have real decent porting, but I don't see a lot of cooling passages in them.  These are just superficial observations, and I do think the engine will be good in it's intended applications.  But it ain't no LS!  Just don't see that kind of versatility in the 7.3L.          

That's probably why Ford is trying to tamp down all the new hype from Ford fans that think the engine might end up in a Mustang. It's obviously not designed for a modern Mustang. GM has spent two decades slowly perfecting the LS family for both trucks and sports cars. Ford has a hard enough time going from one version of an engine to an updated version of the same engine. Restarting development of a pushrod engine after decades of trying to scrub their lineup of pushrod engines might be tough. Hopefully they kept a few of the old timers around that worked on the 351W. The fuel economy difference between this 6.6 and the 7.3 will be noticeable for sure.

9 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

That's probably why Ford is trying to tamp down all the new hype from Ford fans that think the engine might end up in a Mustang. It's obviously not designed for a modern Mustang. GM has spent two decades slowly perfecting the LS family for both trucks and sports cars. Ford has a hard enough time going from one version of an engine to an updated version of the same engine. Restarting development of a pushrod engine after decades of trying to scrub their lineup of pushrod engines might be tough. Hopefully they kept a few of the old timers around that worked on the 351W. The fuel economy difference between this 6.6 and the 7.3 will be noticeable for sure.

Yeah I am with you, they wont be dropping a 700lb cast iron big block engine in the Mustang. They are all screaming Boss 429 already lol. I just want to see the look on their faces when their dreams are crushed. Maybe if Ford makes an aluminum version, but it is still a big block. If you look under the hood of a modern fiveoh, there is not a lot of room in there even with that small block DOHC engine. Has Ford released numbers yet? I guess around 420hp and 540-575tq on 87octane