Silverado won't consistently power trailer's rear camera

I have a rear facing camera (not a backup camera) on my travel trailer. It communicates via bluetooth with a monitor plugged in to the truck's cigarette lighter receptacle. The camera is powered with the trailer's running lights and, thus, the trucks lights (headlights, fog lights or running lights) must be on. The system works fine on my 2002 Silverado, my 2012 Enclave, and three other vehicles I've tested. But with the 2019 Silverado (mine and two others my dealer tested it with) I get a "no signal" message on the monitor 95% of the time or more. By that, I mean 15-30 seconds of no signal and then 2 seconds or less of perfect video. My Chevy service center can't figure it out, GM's tech support blew off my service manager once they heard the camera wasn't a GM product, my trailer manufacturer has no answer, and the camera/monitor maker's answer is that it clearly isn't their problem. The one thing they have in common is that none of them have heard of anyone else having this problem. 

Any ideas? Any solutions? 

Edited by J-Stroke

I may be facing the same issue with our trailer next month. We have a Lance trailer with rear-facing camera and dash monitor that plugs into a power outlet. Works well in our 2012 Silverado, but we're supposed to take delivery of our 2019 LTZ this coming week.

One thing that we have learned is that when you have multiple electronic signals (OnStar, XM, WIFI, GPS, etc.) within a concentrated area, it can block other over-the-air signals, such as EZ Pass. Try turning some of those features off in the truck, and see if that allows the camera signal to come through. Just a thought. May be worth trying.

• Like 1

Jack, I suspect you will have the same problem given that you, like I, are the proud owner of a Lance. Mine is a 2019 1985 with the Voyager WVOS43 observation system. If you do suffer the same issue, please let me know, AND Lance AND ASA Electronics, AND your Chevy dealer. Seems that thus far I am the only human on the globe who knows about the issue.

By the way, a fellow on the Lance Owners' Association (LOA) forum sent me this tech article that helped out on some other issues I thought I had and might give some clues as to this issue:  https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11176

2 minutes ago, bshort said:

It's an interference issue.  They don't make a signal booster for the Furrion cameras, but I did have to by a booster for my TST tpms.  

I don't think that's the problem, though I wish it were because it would be a simple fix. 

2 minutes ago, J-Stroke said:

I don't think that's the problem, though I wish it were because it would be a simple fix. 

It absolutely is an interference issue.  System works great in all vehicles except multiple 2019's.  The 2019 is broadcasting something different than before and it's interfering with your cameras signal.  I don't recall my camera having a channel switch, but if so, maybe try that.  

5 minutes ago, bshort said:

It absolutely is an interference issue.  System works great in all vehicles except multiple 2019's.  The 2019 is broadcasting something different than before and it's interfering with your cameras signal.  I don't recall my camera having a channel switch, but if so, maybe try that.  

Perhaps you are right; I've been wrong before, often in fact.  But my bet is it's a voltage drop of some sort. As the article I posted states:

"Vehicles equipped with a Trailer Lighting Control Module cannot drive as much current on each circuit when compared to the non-Trailer Lighting Control Module trailer lighting system. The Trailer Lighting Control Module drives four trailer circuits using four solid state drivers that are fed from one 30A lighting fuse. If the total current on the four circuits overloads the fuse, it will fail. If any single lighting circuit exceeds the driver threshold, it will deactivate the output for the balance of the key cycle and a reactivation of the lamp load is required. Individual DTCs are activated for each circuit and that load is turned off due to high current. If a trailer draws too much current, it may be helpful to change some or all of the trailer lighting to LEDs."

But, as I also said before, I'm not tech savvy.

The trailer lighting control module has nothing to do with your aftermarket bluetooth camera.  It gets its power off a 12v source separate from any trailering equipment and communicates over the air.  The trailer receives it's 12V power from the truck in tow, but 12V is 12V.  

1 hour ago, Jack D said:

I may be facing the same issue with our trailer next month. We have a Lance trailer with rear-facing camera and dash monitor that plugs into a power outlet. Works well in our 2012 Silverado, but we're supposed to take delivery of our 2019 LTZ this coming week.

One thing that we have learned is that when you have multiple electronic signals (OnStar, XM, WIFI, GPS, etc.) within a concentrated area, it can block other over-the-air signals, such as EZ Pass. Try turning some of those features off in the truck, and see if that allows the camera signal to come through. Just a thought. May be worth trying.

Jack, my Chevy service manager and I tried shutting off everything we could -- hotspot, OnStar, GPS, etc. with no luck. I even plugged the monitor in to my Enclave while the trailer was connected to the Silverado, backed it around to the camera, held the monitor 2 feet from the camera, and no change.

5 hours ago, bshort said:

The trailer lighting control module has nothing to do with your aftermarket bluetooth camera.  It gets its power off a 12v source separate from any trailering equipment and communicates over the air.  The trailer receives it's 12V power from the truck in tow, but 12V is 12V.  

Okay, maybe I don't understand the concept of interference. Help me out. If I can hold the monitor less than 2' from the camera and over 25' from the Silverado and I'm having the same issues, where could the interference be coming from?

You tried powering the monitor with a separate power source and it didn't work.  Have you tried powering the camera with a separate power source other than the trailer wiring?  Could be that the Silverado is sending some type of interference on the trailer wiring.  There is something different with the trailer wiring that lets the truck know when you plug a trailer in.  Do you have the keyless entry system?  Maybe the geofencing for the keyless entry system is blocking the signal?   Just some thoughts...

3 minutes ago, PhilB said:

You tried powering the monitor with a separate power source and it didn't work.  Have you tried powering the camera with a separate power source other than the trailer wiring?  Could be that the Silverado is sending some type of interference on the trailer wiring.  There is something different with the trailer wiring that lets the truck know when you plug a trailer in.  Do you have the keyless entry system?  Maybe the geofencing for the keyless entry system is blocking the signal?   Just some thoughts...

I have tried powering the camera with a separate source in the form of another tow vehicle, actually a few other tow vehicles, but that was always through the tow vehicle's  trailer harness and the trailer's wiring. System works like a dream on those.

I do have keyless entry, and maybe there's something new there for 2019. Unfortunately, my Chevy service center has given up and GM tech support won't even begin to look in to it, so I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place when it comes to doing something to test these theories.

My guess is that the truck is not supplying enough current to the trailer lights to power the camera and the lights. You may try wiring the camera directly to your trailer batteries. Our Lance trailer is a 2018, and I've been using it for two seasons. At first, I used the rear camera all of the time, but after a while, I found that it was more of an annoyance than it was beneficial. Someday I may want to use that camera again, but I have no immediate need for it, so I have time to watch and see how things turn out.

OP, I was thinking along the lines of having your system installed on the Silverado, but powering the camera through a different source.  There are a lot of variables involved with your issue.  When you move your system to another vehicle you eliminated those variables. 

The variables seem to be: 

a) power to the camera via the trailer wiring and silverado

b) monitor reception while in the silverado

c) monitor reception when outside the silverado

d) power to the camera via an independent power source

You know that your system doesn't work with a) and b).  You know it works with c) and d).  Have you tried a) and c), or b) and d)?  I wonder if the Silverado's bluetooth is overpowering the monitor's bluetooth?  

Keep us posted with what you find out.

28 minutes ago, PhilB said:

OP, I was thinking along the lines of having your system installed on the Silverado, but powering the camera through a different source.  There are a lot of variables involved with your issue.  When you move your system to another vehicle you eliminated those variables. 

The variables seem to be: 

a) power to the camera via the trailer wiring and silverado

b) monitor reception while in the silverado

c) monitor reception when outside the silverado

d) power to the camera via an independent power source

You know that your system doesn't work with a) and b).  You know it works with c) and d).  Have you tried a) and c), or b) and d)?  I wonder if the Silverado's bluetooth is overpowering the monitor's bluetooth?  

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Phil, you are sort of correct; a) is the key factor. With the trailer connected to any other vehicle, the system woks perfectly. With the trailer connected to the Silverado, the system won't work even if I plug the monitor in to another vehicle and bring the monitor and camera within 2' of each other. The only thing I haven't done (I think), is connect the camera to another 12V source while the trailer is connected to the Silverado. I may do that and if it works just connect the camera directly to my trailer's battery and be done with it. I will definitely keep you posted.

• Like 1