Silverado won't consistently power trailer's rear camera

I just spoke to a rep from Furrion who was nice enough to return my support email with a phone call. Furrion is the manufacturer of the observation camera on my trailer.

This is definitely not a wireless interference problem. It is a GM power supply problem.

They have been getting dozens of reports of this problem with the Chevy/GMC 2019 trucks. From what they can determine, the "smart" power supply on the truck is not providing enough voltage or current, as many of you have suggested. Testing the voltage directly at the truck 7-way appears fine, but when you plug in your trailer, the "smart" feature kicks in and causes the problem. 

Keystone and some other manufacturers wire the camera to the running lights. Some other manufacturers do not, which is why they aren't having the problem. 

Furrion engineers are trying to find if there is a way to trick the truck into providing the proper amount of voltage and current. I am going to try some experiments of my own to see if I can come up with anything. 

The solution for now, is to hard wire the camera to the battery of the camper, as many of you have suggested you can install a manual switch or a relay tied to the running lights,  to power the camera. It is a pain to have to re-wire it, but it is a solution. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issues with my Furrion camera on my 2019 Silverado. The problem is the Silverado uses a PWM signal on the trailer light circuit and it interferes  with the camera. Furrion is aware of the issue and supposedly working on a fix.

• 4 weeks later...

We purchased a  Furrion FOS07TASF 7" Vision S Wireless Vehicle Observation System: 7-inch Monitor and 1 Rear Sharkfin Bracket Camera from Amazon.  Not cheap!  We installed it in our Airstream ourselves and took every precaution to do it right.  It worked with our 2016 GMC Canyon PERFECTLY.  We took it on one trip and when we returned we traded the Canyon for a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali.  Camera WILL NOT WORK!  We are so frustrated.  It will pair when paired with the pigtail in the truck but even when the camera is on the back of the Airstream and the monitor is AT THE BACK of the Airstream (inside and plugged to 12 volt) it will not pick up a signal.  We are baffled.  We have spent hours (lights are on, etc), have unpaired and repaired... no picture and no signal.  Amazon says the "return window is up" (less than one month).  I guess a Voyager will not work, either?!

UPDATE: My husband and I have never received such customer service!  Furrion's "head of customer relations" called my husband and their engineers have a fix for this problem. It is a simple plug in that they have tested and it works. It plugs in the 7 way and boosts the voltage to the camera (ours is wired to our running lights).  To top it off they are overnighting it and sending it free. We are overwhelmed with the service.  It is not their issue (it is GMC's) and yet they have worked out a fix.  Rarely, if ever, have we had THIS sort of exemplary service.  Will update again when we receive and test the adapter. GMC, if you are listening (and you should be) why not RUN on over and patent this adapter now from Furrion?!?!?  (I have no affiliation!)

Edited by VDR928
change in service!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got the module from Haloview, it's a small box that plugs inline to the power cord for the camera. Using my meter I measured around 10.2 volts at the marker light that I spliced into for power and the module brought it up to 14 volts. The camera powers up after a few seconds of turning on the lights and it worked fine for my first trip (about two hours from home. If anyone else with this problem has a Haloview I definitely recommend contacting them to get a module.

IMG_20190725_183638.jpg

I’m with ASA Electronics and Voyager® is one of our brands.  In 2019, GMC & Chevy Trucks started using a PWM (pulse width modulation) power supply for trucks equipped with their smart trailer app that checks for trailer connection, light fault detection and security functions.  This PWM power supply is feeding the trailer light circuit and is what causes the camera to cycle ON/OFF continuously. 

We have been in development of an in-line filter solution for the past few months that will accomplish several things:  provide correct camera operation on the existing trailer light circuit; be small enough to pass through the existing hole for the camera cable; and not create any fault codes for the running lights within the trailer app.  As part of our existing relationship with GM and our iN·Command® Control Systems, we have been working directly with GM for testing.  We chose to filter at the camera rather than at the bumper connection as that would render the PWM light fault detection on the tail light circuit inoperative.

We are still validating this part and should have a launch date to announce in the near future.  I’ll be sure to update this thread when these modules are available and where to find them.

**UPDATE**  our filter is available for those that need it to solve the PWM issue.  There are two versions, p/n PWMBUT and PWMCEC, with the difference being in the connection type.  Our Voyager cameras ship with our CEC connector; however, in some applications this has been removed and have only the +12V (Red) & Ground (Black) wire connected to power source.  For these, the blunt-cut version is used.  For those with our CEC connector, the Voyager CEC version is needed.

Edited by ASA Electronics
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, GormanAZ said:

Please consider that most cameras are mounted without a plug near the camera.  Having a dongle hanging from an Airstream rear camera would not be an appropriate fix. 

Our solution will be inline with our proprietary CEC camera cable connectors.  On the trailer, the camera goes into the outside wall and meets the disconnect (male-female).  Our module is going to be small enough to insert through the existing hole on the Airstream trailer.  You will only need to pull out the existing cable, unplug and connect the new module inline, then push the module and cable back inside and reseal the hole.

I have the same issue- i purchased the 2019 trailboss earlier this year and only to find out after the fact that GM has not released any info to 5th wheel trailer manufactures on the new frame design and i could not mount a 5th wheel unit sometime in 2020. On top of that my 5th wheel also has the rear camera that will not connect and according to GM factory reps it is because of the software platform they are using and there is no fix. so i paid all the money in the world for whats supposed to be the top of the line CHevrolet product but in return GM has not done their research on the growing RV industry. I am stuck as the dealership is at a loss and the factory reps are no help!

On 8/13/2019 at 3:59 PM, ASA Electronics said:

Our solution will be inline with our proprietary CEC camera cable connectors.  On the trailer, the camera goes into the outside wall and meets the disconnect (male-female).  Our module is going to be small enough to insert through the existing hole on the Airstream trailer.  You will only need to pull out the existing cable, unplug and connect the new module inline, then push the module and cable back inside and reseal the hole.

Is there any way to get updates on this?  Some of us would love to get a fix for this issue.

Sam

On 8/24/2019 at 6:36 PM, Shannon said:

I’m having the same issue on my 2019 Sierra SLT, which I bought specifically with the 6.2L engine to tow our camper that we can’t tow safely now. GMC is no help at all. The dealership is no help at all. Maybe it’s time for a lawsuit.

You do not need a back-up camera to safely tow a camper.  People have been safely towing for decades without them.  

24 minutes ago, bshort said:

You do not need a back-up camera to safely tow a camper.  People have been safely towing for decades without them.  

True, but it’s much safer to have one. I’ve seen plenty of examples where an accident would probably been avoided with one.