Radio Issue - Need Help

Hello Everyone,

New member here, I've been a long time GM owner and probably will always own a full size GM truck.

Anyway, I am having issues with my radio and I haven't been able to find an answer using my normal internet searches.  The LCD screen flickers, goes out fully, half goes out then comes back on, etc.  If I tap on or around the radio it will come back, but only for a short time and begins to malfunction again.  I pulled the radio out, disconnected it and reinstalled hoping it was just a connection issue but no luck.

What are my options? Do I need a whole new radio? Is there a fix for this? Is there someone who repairs them? Any help would be appreciated.

2012 Silverado LTZ

Radio P/N 20934593

Thanks,

Mike

Yup, Radio bad. I have completely disassembled and re-soldered every wire in my radio and the issue still prevails. The silver cover soldered on over the important areas makes it difficult to repair. A new swap is the only option.

Local shop quoted me $75 to reprogram a replacement.

1 hour ago, Mikebtte said:

Yup, Radio bad. I have completely disassembled and re-soldered every wire in my radio and the issue still prevails. The silver cover soldered on over the important areas makes it difficult to repair. A new swap is the only option.

Local shop quoted me $75 to reprogram a replacement.

Thanks for the replies. So the reprogram doesn’t have to be done at a dealership?

Also, where is the best place to buy a new radio? Are they even available new?

Thanks,

Mike

I got a replacement from a used truck and had a local shop with the proper programmer do the job.

LKQ radio, $25 (installed the face plate from my old radio)

Programming $75

You can purchase the radio from a dealer and ask that they program it for you, try and work a deal.

4 hours ago, GR5 said:

Thanks for the replies. So the reprogram doesn’t have to be done at a dealership?

Also, where is the best place to buy a new radio? Are they even available new?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes. The new radio will have to be programmed through a dealership or a shop with access to GM's TIS Programming.

You can pick up a radio pretty inexpensive from a parts yard. Less than $50 for a good one.

Dealership will Charge you around 100 to program it.

Just an option. If it were my truck. I would update the radio.

This radio is made for the Sierra/Silverado and is just plug and play and fits perfectly in the dash. Touch Screen. You have Navigation/bluetooth and you can install a backup camera if you want. Just an option.

Upgrade Radio - https://amzn.to/2ChreMJ

14 hours ago, carnau said:

Yes. The new radio will have to be programmed through a dealership or a shop with access to GM's TIS Programming.

You can pick up a radio pretty inexpensive from a parts yard. Less than $50 for a good one.

Dealership will Charge you around 100 to program it.

Just an option. If it were my truck. I would update the radio.

This radio is made for the Sierra/Silverado and is just plug and play and fits perfectly in the dash. Touch Screen. You have Navigation/bluetooth and you can install a backup camera if you want. Just an option.

Upgrade Radio - https://amzn.to/2ChreMJ

That certainly is appealing. I looked at the specs, but I’m not very tech savvy.

With this unit will I be able to continue to use my Bluetooth microphone and steering wheel controls as is?

Also, will I be able to use my radio steering wheel controls as is?

Does this radio also need to be programmed by a dealership or technician?

Thanks,

Mike

8 hours ago, GR5 said:

That certainly is appealing. I looked at the specs, but I’m not very tech savvy.

With this unit will I be able to continue to use my Bluetooth microphone and steering wheel controls as is?

Also, will I be able to use my radio steering wheel controls as is?

Does this radio also need to be programmed by a dealership or technician?

Thanks,

Mike

No, You don't have to get the radio programmed ( So you save that money and it does towards the radio) . That's one of the plus sides to this radio. It is a perfect fit and all the truck components work as normal.

Yes, It uses the already installed bluetooth microphone.

Yes the steering wheel controls work like normal.

Answer:
Yes,this unit supports the function of steering wheel control. 
By Haitu TECH SELLER  on August 2, 2018

5 hours ago, GR5 said:

Thanks for the info. I don't usually like the look of aftermarket radios, but this has a very stock appearance. I think that's the way I will go.

Thanks,

Mike

I am absolutely right there with you. I hate the way aftermarket radios look. This one is really nice and flush. Gives you that stock feeling. I actually even thing when you start it up it comes up with the GM logo. lol