Thoughts on the Nissan Titan?

VictorLin0725

Back to the original topic....

I had a 1st Gen Titan before I bought my current Silverado, and I wouldn't hesistate to own another one. I owned it 10 years, and put 184k on it, and it NEVER ONCE saw the inside of a mechanic shop. Worst problem it ever had was a broken clockspring, and I changed that myself. Other than crappy MPG, I have zero complaints about that thing. When it came time to buy a truck, I wasn't really in love with the looks of the new ones, and I wanted better MPG as I drive for work now, plus I come from a big Chevy family, so I came back home to the bowtie. 

IMG_0841.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, juscuzram said:

Back to the original topic....

I had a 1st Gen Titan before I bought my current Silverado, and I wouldn't hesistate to own another one. I owned it 10 years, and put 184k on it, and it NEVER ONCE saw the inside of a mechanic shop. Worst problem it ever had was a broken clockspring, and I changed that myself. Other than crappy MPG, I have zero complaints about that thing. When it came time to buy a truck, I wasn't really in love with the looks of the new ones, and I wanted better MPG as I drive for work now, plus I come from a big Chevy family, so I came back home to the bowtie. 

IMG_0841.JPG

Nice truck! I think with any brand the reliability goes down with each model year. 2004-2006 was the sweet spot for trucks in the US in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Nice truck! I think with any brand the reliability goes down with each model year. 2004-2006 was the sweet spot for trucks in the US in my opinion.

Thanks! That one is a 2006, so I can definitely vouch for that being true. My dad actually talked to the guy that bought it the other day, and it's still kicking!

• Like 1

I considered one when buying my truck, but a few things stopped me from even going to a dealer to look:

- Very few in stock at the several local dealers I looked at online

- Most in stock trucks were cloth seats, lower optioned stuff.  I'm not living that life

- Very few incentives.  If I could have found what I wanted, it would have cost a lot more than my truck

- Interior felt a bit dated from pics

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, juscuzram said:

Thanks! That one is a 2006, so I can definitely vouch for that being true. My dad actually talked to the guy that bought it the other day, and it's still kicking!

How's your 15 running? Best grill design by far but gotta say I've hear some horror stories about the first production year, hopefully your not facing any issues.

6 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

How's your 15 running? Best grill design by far but gotta say I've hear some horror stories about the first production year, hopefully your not facing any issues.

My 15 is great *knock on wood*. Definitely the best year. That front end just looks like a Chevy should. Not sure why they only kept it around for 2 years. I've got 56k on it, and so far so good. 

I did not consider the Nissan for purchase, based on the fact that the exterior styling did not appeal to me.

Based on the reviews I've read, the truck seems capable, and pretty decent all around.  When going head to head against the competition, it's almost never best at anything, but still sufficiently capable for most buyers. 

Most Nissan Titan nightmare stories stem from the early 2000s, when Nissan went on a cost-cutting binge and produced some truly crappy vehicles.   Newer models are almost certainly better, although I wouldn't expect any significant advantage over other brands in terms of reliability or resale value.   

The biggest deterrent to buying a Titan over a domestic brand is poor selection and lack of qualified aftermarket repair shops.   

Oooh another thing the new Titan (and the Tundra) have:  HEADLIGHT LEVEL ADJUSTMENT.  Yep.  There is a dial (like a dash dimmer) that lets you re-level your lighting with a load in the box.  None of the big 3 have that I think. 

Honestly going off from my other post a couple pages back, I'd rock one.  Pro4X king cab non XD version with the 5.6 Endurance with all the good packages. 

Edited by newdude

Just now, newdude said:

Oooh another thing the new Titan (and the Tundra) have:  HEADLIGHT LEVEL ADJUSTMENT.  Yep.  There is a dial (like a dash dimmer) that lets you re-level your lighting with a load in the box.  None of the big 3 have that I think. 

That's a brilliant feature that I wish all pickup trucks, vans, and other vehicles that are marketed for towing and hauling had.

My 2018 Sierra has very bright headlights, and it's not very convenient to adjust them every time I hook up a trailer, or put a few hundred lb in the bed. 

Just an update. Rode again in the Titan today and my friend said that he got $16,895 off from Nissan and and extra $3000 off from the dealer with the 100k mile warranty. That’s almost $20,000 off a brand new truck! I don’t care how good or bad it is but that’s a smoking good deal haha. (There was a household outlet in the bed which I thought was pretty cool). My friend has been defending his purchase ever since he got it...he had 5 strangers ask him about the truck yesterday alone lol poor guy.

Edited by VictorLin0725

I literally just returned home from a trip to Florida where my rental vehicle was a Titan. I did not care for the looks, thought the technology was dated, drivers seat would not go low enough for my taste. On the plus side it sounded awesome, gas pedal had better response and it rode nicely.

My current vehicle is a 2015 Silverado.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobJ said:

I literally just returned home from a trip to Florida where my rental vehicle was a Titan. I did not care for the looks, thought the technology was dated, drivers seat would not go low enough for my taste. On the plus side it sounded awesome, gas pedal had better response and it rode nicely.

Their gas pedal is not as linear as ours. It’s probably partly to blame for the horrendous fuel mileage. A friend has the Armada (same engine) and gets a best of 13.5-14.0 in town and never broke 20 on the highway. I have never been in a Titan but I did drive his Armada and the go pedal was about like mine is with the Pedal Commander set at Sport -1 for comparison. I leave mine at Sport +1 besides being ugly, the seats were huge but very hard and slippery.

2 hours ago, BobJ said:

Interesting comment in the gas pedal.  Mine on the Sierra is massively stiff compared to my old Titan. Weird but have gotten used to it. 

On 3/11/2019 at 1:01 PM, newdude said:

Honestly going off from my other post a couple pages back, I'd rock one.  Pro4X king cab non XD version with the 5.6 Endurance with all the good packages. 

My wife's '09 Nissan Murano has this feature, which seems odd considering it is a crossover...I do like the idea of using it depending on the load...

image.thumb.png.b9488435b70419f450ac0768ccbd5472.png