My 2014 Silverado has rust bubbling up in both rockers already

On 3/11/2019 at 9:18 PM, Jcharley said:

It had 31 miles on it. (Great idea) I live 1 hour south of Chicago so they do salt the roads but I have a heated garage and keep it clean year round. I will take pics tomorrow and put them up for everybody to see. 

I know it doesn’t help the situation but your not alone and GM is not the only manufacturer with rust issues. Look at Ram. Still I’d be pissed too.. 

My 14 Silverado with 32k miles on it also has the rockers and cab corners bubbling up pretty bad.  Probably rusting from inside out the same as my 04 did with around 40k miles but just over the 6 years.  Hopefully my 14 will be covered under warranty.  Very disgusting for a $45k truck 

• 3 months later...

Just looked yesterday at my 14 and it is bubbled worse than this clear down the rockers. 60k miles Hopefully they cover it.

Edited by jsouth

My 14 brownstone Silverado did the same thing on both sides.  Took it to dealership and they replaced both rockers and cab corners under warranty.  Took 2.5 months but gm covered it.  Rusted from the inside out.  They said something about the foam inside was holding all the moisture in.   I just got it back last week.  It had 33k miles on it

Edited by Shiloh74
Addition
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I have a 14 Sierra crew cab, I'm in MA so plenty of salt, and my rockers looked worse than that last summer (2018), but at 110k at that time GM wouldn't cover it.  My last truck (05 1500hd) bubbled like this at 7yo about 170k.  

Seems to me the quality of the steel is continuing to get worse. 

There all made out of recycled Pepsi cans now!

• Sad 1

I think with any type of metal, it’s over recycled. 

I think that has a huge part of why things are rotting. Then again, if proper metal prep procedures are done prior to painting, this shouldn’t happen...

goes with steel, iron, copper, etc. the quality isn’t there anymore. 

Edited by Jgreen2193

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, wforrest08 said:

So half the bill is 1800 bucks? So 3600 to replace rockers? Probably to late now but I definitely would have checked around with some independent body shops might have got it done for less than the 1/2 your paying. Also since you were literally 60 miles over it might be worth reaching out to GM corporate and seeing if they might offer some relief. I don’t have personal experience with this but I’ve read more than a few threads on here where guys have got this to work for them. Also does your dealer (assuming that’s who’s doing it) guarantee it for life? The dealer that has painted my passenger side one twice now does. Also there’s a pinned thread on here about frame rust on these trucks didn’t know if you have checked that one out and/or checked yours out? Only reason I mention it is because it might not be worth hanging onto that truck long term if the frame is going South. I’m currently looking for a replacement for my 01 HD do to  it’s structural rusted frame.

Thread about frame rust.

1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

9.png