factory subwoofer

17 hours ago, hardloaf said:

I've just got the new one installed on my AT4. 4" Bose factory sub doesn't do it for me, so I ordered this one and had it installed in a shop. Took guys about 1.5 hour - not super easy.

It looks well made, guys said it's a 10". $600 online with shipping.

This sub comes with an amp mounted on a side. Amp looks bare, but if you unscrew it there are adjustment switches on the bottom and one plug next to harness. Kicker support says I can connect this knob there to adjust level: https://www.kicker.com/CXARC-Remote-Control-for-Kicker-46CX-Series-Amps

Initially I hated the thing - it was so obnoxiously strong that I started to worry that paint will peal off the cab. Adjusting bass in the head unit EQ helps somewhat, but still not enough and affects sound in a bad way. Wrote email to Kicker and they told me how to adjust gain with those switches - this info is not present in the manual, for whatever reason. Switches 1,2,3 control it. No idea what other switches do and I wouldn't touch them. They also said that I can use that knob for fine tuning, so I'll also install it on Sunday and see how it works. Anyway now after changing gain with those switches it's a completely different thing - sounds really good, deep and not annoying, makes huge difference in all kinds of music. Love this thing!

This is GREAT info, thanks for sharing. I'm going to try and make the Kicker sub i removed from my 2017 Silverado work. They appear to hook up in the same manner. Your install looks really nice! 

Just picked up my 2019 Silverado yesterday and found the radio to be horrible. Tried adjusting the bass, mid, and treble with minimal effect. Thinking about the Kicker upgrade. Does the Bose radio have the HD radio function? Mine does not but it looks pretty easy to upgrade from Infotainment.com for $700. Just wondering how the subwoofer would sound with an analog radio signal vs HD before I buy either one.

I've installed that CXARC knob with mounting tape under my seat. This thingy really helps - no need to mess with switches, so I restored them to factory defaults. GM should've included it in the kit!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, hardloaf said:

I've uploaded video to youtube - I think this works better than pictures.

GM Sub, installed

Thank you.   Looking at the description and photos online at GM... couple things stand out when comparing to the video and the installation guide.

1 - 200-watt powered Kicker® subwoofer with quick-connect wire harness to easily secure or remove when needing more cargo room:   Does this really come out easily?   Looks like it bolts in.

2 - Plug and play, no wire cutting or vehicle modifications .  Instructions show cutting the carpet, running wires to dash, and splicing them.   Does that occur or does it plug into an existing socket under the back seat?

3 - DSP Tuned Specifically to your Next Generation Silverado 1500 Crew Cab and Extended Cab.  Photo shows a DSP module, but the instructions don't mention it.  Looks to be mounted behind the back seat?

BTW - nice that the price dropped $150 recently.

On 3/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, BLACK AT4 said:

This is GREAT info, thanks for sharing. I'm going to try and make the Kicker sub i removed from my 2017 Silverado work. They appear to hook up in the same manner. Your install looks really nice! 

It will work perfectly. I just did it. I was only able to secure it with one bracket but its fine. They hook up exactly the same. Just use the instructions from the new sub. It will save you room under your seat as well. I bought the under seat storage container and cut it where the end off. You would never know it didn't come that way. Good Luck ! 

Just installed this in my AT4 tonight, took about an hour.  Hardest part was feeding the power wire through the firewall and routing the cable neatly but not that hard.  Definitely need the bass nob to control it on the fly as the response from song to song is pretty variable, especially if you don't run a higher volumes, you don't cut any wires but splice into 2 wires with the supplied parts.  Putting the black GMC emblems ( 84364354 ) on was way harder.....the front clip is so much harder to remove then the previous generation, especially around the lights and you really need 2 people to pull it off.

• Like 1

I might need to do this. I've had my RST with the Bose system about a month. Finally today I had a chance to really use the sound system driving to work. I had to turn the bass on the sound settings up to like +8 to really even notice the sub on some of the music I'm listening to. 

Plugging in my iPhone and using Car Play made the sound a little more robust, but it's a pretty paltry sub that Bose has worked with Chevy to instal on these trucks. 

• Like 1

So I pulled the amp today.  like noted before there are 6 dip switches that control level, the kicker EQ, auto on and Crossover.  The first 3 are basically input level.  Mine was 1up, 2 Down...response was very low, I did 1 and 2 up and it was much better, a bit high, but with the control nob, its easy to dial it in.  The amp is easy to unscrew from the sub, so I would do that before you button everything up to set the level as you like it and would recommend getting the base control nob that is like 20 bucks from Best Buy.  With that setting it behaved much better at mid volume and sounded like a sub.

I dialed it in so base was at 0 so the fronts and bose would not work to hard, then adjusted the base control where I wanted it.  The doors and bose sub just fill in the sounstage enough and you can feel Pink Floyd base notes when you want to.