New 2018 Sierra Denali Love/Hate Relationship @ 500 miles so far

Hi all,

I haven't had a truck in about 20 years so I was excited to pull the trigger on a tow vehicle for our trailer. I'm still in the break in period so I get that I haven't undergone the full experience with the truck, but, already I can tell you there are some things that I love, and other things I hope will either get better or will be a huge inconvenience for the duration of my ownership. 

Some info: 

• Currently have about 450 miles on the ODO, haven't gone faster than 75mph, I towed at around 200 miles to move my trailer about 30 miles keeping things very easy on the truck. I've been both light on the pedal and medium on the pedal to test out my assumptions (truck pre tow and post tow did not show any change in the drivability) 
  • Package is  2018 Denali Ultimate, great incentives from the dealership to get rid of these in the high 40's instead of 60's.
  • I didn't put 93 octane at the last fill (I actually didn't realize it needed it until I read the manual). 

Love: 

• Has a great stance, looks great from all angles and a great look/feel of the inside as well.
  • CarPlay Integration works pretty well.
  • Can tow 9100lbs way more than enough for a GVWR trailer of 7300.
  • Magna shocks or whatever they're called, great when you are going 40mph+, very cadillac-esc.
  • Denali Ultimate is a great blend of style and substance.

Hate:

• 8 Speed Transmission, very similar to other complaints it seems like it is built for economy and not for power. In my short tow trip I thought it shifted very poorly.
  • Fish-bite or bog or whatever it's called, seems like you have to press 1/2 or 3/4 throttle to have it find it's gear and take off or drive in tow/haul
  • Rolling stop or "California roll' = transmission clunk almost every time when you press the accelerator. 
  • Push button start - How can you have remote start and not have a push button start?
  • No vents for my kids in the back seat.
  • Is this even a 6.2L? Doesn't feel like it.

Pic included 

IMG_8909.jpg

Edited by thegarse
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, thegarse said:

Hi all,

I haven't had a truck in about 20 years so I was excited to pull the trigger on a tow vehicle for our trailer. I'm still in the break in period so I get that I haven't undergone the full experience with the truck but already I can tell you there are some things that I love, and other things I hope will either get better or will a huge inconvenience for the duration of my ownership. 

Some info: 

• Currently have about 450 miles on the ODO, haven't gone faster than 75mph, I towed at around 200 miles to move my trailer about 30 miles keeping things very easy on the truck. I've been both light on the pedal and medium on the pedal to test out my assumptions (truck pre tow and post tow did not show any change in the drivability) tows nice doesn't it LOL, excuse my pre-edit comment
  • Package is  2018 Denali Ultimate, great incentives from the dealership to get rid of these in the high 40's instead of 60's. Awesome find
  • I didn't put 93 octane at the last fill (I actually didn't realize it needed it until I read the manual). OOPS...and you towed with that too or no? The dealer probably put 91 in it for your drive away...

Love: 

• Has a great stance, looks great from all angles and a great look/feel of the inside as well. Yes it does!
  • CarPlay Integration works pretty well. Mine works really good too.
  • Can tow 9100lbs way more than enough for a GVWR trailer of 7300. Nice trailer ya got there.
  • Magna shocks or whatever they're called, great when you are going 40mph+, very cadillac-esc. Love them now, but you will not love them when they fail, sorry just what most will tell you.
  • Denali Ultimate is a great blend of style and substance. If you got it in the 40's you got a great deal for a Denali, they are nice.

Hate:

• 8 Speed Transmission, very similar to other complaints it seems like it is built for economy and not for power. In my short tow trip I thought it shifted very poorly. They do have a learning phase, still some are finicky
  • Fish-bite or bog or whatever it's called, seems like you have to press 1/2 or 3/4 throttle to have it find it's gear and take off or drive in tow/haul I've not had that, mine is pretty responsive, not Denali but SLT 6.2
  • Rolling stop or "California roll' = transmission clunk almost every time when you press the accelerator. Mine doesn't do this. 
  • Push button start - How can you have remote start and not have a push button start? It seems ancient doesn't it...
  • No vents for my kids in the back seat. Use the floor setting it helps but yeah, that does suck.
  • Is this even a 6.2L? Doesn't feel like it. Have you ever driven the 5.3? My 6.2 is a beast, but it might be you not feeding it what it needs...91/93

Welcome!

Edited by SS502
  • Like 3

Welcome!

#1 reason I bought my SLT Pwemium package instead of a Denali was because of the Magnaride air shocks that will “NEVER” allow you to do performance upgrade coil overs or rears. Denali is sweet looking truck! OP should know now that there’s not one truck manufacturer out there without their issues.

Sent from above
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wforrest08 said:

NICE TRAILER!!! I get mine in 18 years when I retire. Had to set up a separate 401k a couple years ago so I’ll be able to pay for it...

@SS502 no, he towed it 30 miles when there was 200 miles on the odometer. ?

Wow, I see that now...I'm a dork LOL

• Haha 1

If your Magneride does fail or if you want to upgrade suspension you can always buy the Magneride delete kit and then upgrade. Not that hard to do. I have the King 3.0 system on order (King-KIT1001) as of yesterday for a great deal for a little less than 6K for parts. Definitely no excuse to buy a cheaper trim truck. Congrats on your purchase! 

Edited by Denali34
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, thegarse said:

No vents for my kids in the back seat

Vents come out under the front seats, use the floor setting or combo of dash and flo...but crank the fan speed

Edited by 2017Darkness
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Denali34 said:

If your Magneride does fail or if you want to upgrade suspension you can always buy the Magneride delete kit and then upgrade. Not that hard to do. I have the King 3.0 system on order (King-KIT1001) as of yesterday for a great deal for a little less than 6K for parts. Definitely no excuse to buy a cheaper trim truck. Congrats on your purchase! 

Not to get into who's truck is better than who's because I think that's just ego talking BUT what does your Denali have that my SLT Premium Plus doesn't other than the following:

Grill that either appeals to you or not, I personally don't care for it but my girlfriend loves it.

Denali leather seats that tend to fray much faster than the other leather but again, it's a personal taste thing.

Magneride, I don't want it but to each their own, you may enjoy it while it lasts.

Retractable steps- yes, I do like those.

Again, not cutting on the Denali, SLT, SLE or any Silverado trim level...just curious what makes them so much different? YES OP...CONGRATS, YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL TRUCK :thumbs:

Edited by SS502
  • Like 3

Not to get into who's truck is better than who's because I think that's just ego talking BUT what does your Denali have that my SLT Premium Plus doesn't other than the following: Grill that either appeals to you or not, I personally don't care for it but my girlfriend loves it.

Denali leather seats that tend to fray much faster than the other leather but again, it's a personal taste thing.

Magneride, I don't want it but to each their own, you may enjoy it while it lasts.

Retractable steps- yes, I do like those.

Again, not cutting on the Denali, SLT, SLE or any Silverado trim level...just curious what makes them so much different? YES OP...CONGRATS, YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL TRUCK :thumbs:

I’m not talking about who’s truck is better. My point is simply don’t make the reason you don’t buy a truck because of one option it has that you don’t like and think you cant get rid of. I have Magneride and like it very much but I want better so I’m deleting it and having different suspension on it. It’s very simple. No excuses. I wanted the Denali trim because I think it looks better and has more options than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't baby the transmission. You just end up with a babied transmission. Give it hell, it'll sort itself out. My experience is it'll learn to go quicker if you push it to go quicker. Either tune the throttle response or learn to push the pedal harder to get rid of that bog feeling. Sort that out and you'll find the transmission to work better overall. I've had a 6 speed and 8 speed and while some of the clunks are common between the two, the 8 speed 6.2 is very smooth and very powerful. Just keep feeding it 91+ fuel. 

Edited by 6_2LTZ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Denali34 said:

I’m not talking about who’s truck is better. My point is simply don’t make the reason you don’t buy a truck because of one option it has that you don’t like and think you cant get rid of. I have Magneride and like it very much but I want better so I’m deleting it and having different suspension on it. It’s very simple. No excuses. I wanted the Denali trim because I think it looks better and has more options than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotcha but what options are you talking about? You just said that you're upgrading your Magneride? Looks, yes those are a personal choice obviously but what are the OPTIONS? I ask because I don't honestly know of anything other than what I listed??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 6_2LTZ said:

I wouldn't baby the transmission. You just end up with a babied transmission. Give it hell, it'll sort itself out. My experience is it'll learn to go quicker if you push it to go quicker. Either tune the throttle response or learn to push the pedal harder to get rid of that bog feeling. Sort that out and you'll find the transmission to work better overall. I've had a 6 speed and 8 speed and while some of the clunks are common between the two, the 8 speed 6.2 is very smooth and very powerful. Just keep feeding it 91+ fuel. 

I agree...I drove mine in L7 with and without tow/haul and have never had a clunk. Plus I figured if I hurt it doing that I would get it fixed pronto!

1 hour ago, thegarse said:

Hi all,

I haven't had a truck in about 20 years so I was excited to pull the trigger on a tow vehicle for our trailer. I'm still in the break in period so I get that I haven't undergone the full experience with the truck, but, already I can tell you there are some things that I love, and other things I hope will either get better or will be a huge inconvenience for the duration of my ownership. 

Some info: 

• Currently have about 450 miles on the ODO, haven't gone faster than 75mph, I towed at around 200 miles to move my trailer about 30 miles keeping things very easy on the truck. I've been both light on the pedal and medium on the pedal to test out my assumptions (truck pre tow and post tow did not show any change in the drivability) 
  • Package is  2018 Denali Ultimate, great incentives from the dealership to get rid of these in the high 40's instead of 60's.
  • I didn't put 93 octane at the last fill (I actually didn't realize it needed it until I read the manual). 

Love: 

• Has a great stance, looks great from all angles and a great look/feel of the inside as well.
  • CarPlay Integration works pretty well.
  • Can tow 9100lbs way more than enough for a GVWR trailer of 7300.
  • Magna shocks or whatever they're called, great when you are going 40mph+, very cadillac-esc.
  • Denali Ultimate is a great blend of style and substance.

Hate:

• 8 Speed Transmission, very similar to other complaints it seems like it is built for economy and not for power. In my short tow trip I thought it shifted very poorly.
  • Fish-bite or bog or whatever it's called, seems like you have to press 1/2 or 3/4 throttle to have it find it's gear and take off or drive in tow/haul
  • Rolling stop or "California roll' = transmission clunk almost every time when you press the accelerator. 
  • Push button start - How can you have remote start and not have a push button start?
  • No vents for my kids in the back seat.
  • Is this even a 6.2L? Doesn't feel like it.

Pic included 

IMG_8909.jpg

OP...that's a beautiful truck towing a beautiful Airstream (envious of that trailer LOL) so hopefully you get years of enjoyment out of it...like I said and others mentioned for the back seat, use the floor setting to heat or cool the back faster...best option for you.

• Like 1

OP...that's a beautiful truck towing a beautiful Airstream (envious of that trailer LOL) so hopefully you get years of enjoyment out of it...like I said and others mentioned for the back seat, use the floor setting to heat or cool the back faster...best option for you.

Btw, they did make Denali’s with a 5.3 as well, may want to look into that cause there’s a considerable power (feel) difference between the two.

Sent from above