01 1500 Silverado front wheel bearing assembly replalcement

I pulled of the front  wheel bearing assembly.  The socket were the front wheel bearning assembly sits on is rusted.  I'm going to clean it up and place some bearing grease per the shop factory manual in the socket.   Should I also put some grease on the axle where it goes into the front wheel bearing hub assembly threads?

2 hours ago, Wazzabie said:

I pulled of the front  wheel bearing assembly.  The socket were the front wheel bearning assembly sits on is rusted.  I'm going to clean it up and place some bearing grease per the shop factory manual in the socket.   Should I also put some grease on the axle where it goes into the front wheel bearing hub assembly threads?

It won't hurt it, But it isn't going to help it either.

Another thing. You should ALWAYS replace your hub bolts. ALWAYS!

https://amzn.to/2TytgTc

Torque specs are important!

Torque spec for the hub bolts are 133lb ft

Torque spec for the Axle nut is 177lb ft

58 minutes ago, carnau said:

It won't hurt it, But it isn't going to help it either.

Another thing. You should ALWAYS replace your hub bolts. ALWAYS!

https://amzn.to/2TytgTc

Torque specs are important!

Torque spec for the hub bolts are 133lb ft

Torque spec for the Axle nut is 177lb ft

Why should the hub bolts be replaced?  I was planning on reusing the old bolts.  

I have new spindle nuts for the axle.

• Like 1

I just got back from the GM dealer.  For a 2001 Silverado 1500 the 3 hub to knuckle bolts are part number 15719028 costing $32  for three bolts.  I went ahead and got three bolts.  The parts guy only had five bolts in stock and says that the just reuse the old bolts.  It doesn't hurt to replace them... maybe just wasting some cash.

22 hours ago, Wazzabie said:

Why should the hub bolts be replaced?  I was planning on reusing the old bolts.  

I have new spindle nuts for the axle.

They like to break. I can't tell you how many times people have come in with broken hub bolts on a hub they just replaced. Even the Manual says you should never reuse the hub bolts. Use to be when you bought a GM hub it came with the bolts in the box. But they have stopped doing that.

• 5 months later...