Tonneau Covers

Considering a cover for a 2018 Sierra CC Denali... saw the demo rack at the dealership for the 'REV' version of what looked like the BAK Revolver X2 cover... and now I see BAK has the Revolver X4 version.

I was considering one of those till the Retrax PRO was mentioned here on other threads. The MSRP of the Retrax seems to be the going price lately... haven't seen them discounted until today with 2 sites offering 10% off till next week sometime.

Any feedback on these covers?

Thanks!

Considering a cover for a 2018 Sierra CC Denali... saw the demo rack at the dealership for the 'REV' version of what looked like the BAK Revolver X2 cover... and now I see BAK has the Revolver X4 version.

I was considering one of those till the Retrax PRO was mentioned here on other threads. The MSRP of the Retrax seems to be the going price lately... haven't seen them discounted until today with 2 sites offering 10% off till next week sometime.

Any feedback on these covers?

Thanks!

I’ve got the Roll N Lock M series cause I love the look somewhat nostalgic. IMHO, The Retrax and the Roll N Lock are the most secure covers you can buy. I’ve had a few different types, worse was the Backflip, very cheaply made and never trust anything made with plastic contacts. My Bakflip completely fell apart just by a bag of mulch hitting it from the inside, never ever thought how rivets would just rip from that paper thin aluminum sandwiching a sheet of styrofoam. Look at the parts that will be tampered with and not just the cover. The ones that flip actually have rubber gaskets connecting the panels that are easily sliced through.

Sent from above

I’ve got the Roll N Lock M cause I love the look somewhat nostalgic. IMHO, The Retrax and the Roll N Lock are the most secure covers you can buy. I’ve had a few different types, worse was the Backflip, very cheaply made and never trust anything made with plastic contacts. My Bakflip completely fell apart just by a bag of mulch hitting it from the inside, never ever thought how rivets would just rip from that paper thin aluminum sandwiching a sheet of styrofoam. Look at the parts that will be tampered with and not just the cover. The ones that flip actually have rubber gaskets connecting the panels that are easily sliced through.

Sent from above

Something I forgot to mention, look and compare the contact pieces, you do not want plastic PCs that lock into place, the two I’ve mentioned both have metal rollers running in metal channels and even come with (optional install) locking mechanisms for your tailgates. Make sure your back window isn’t blocked too. Good luck, hope I’ve helped you

Sent from above

I have a Retrax pro. I love it! I was expensive but I will buy another one when I get a new truck. I found mine on Craigslist and it was the plastic one. I could never get it to line up closed properly or roll smoothly. I sent a video to Retrax and they offered a warranty replacement for cost. Then they offered to upgrade me to pro for cost. I did it because the pro is aluminum, it locks on both sides instead of only one and it is a great cover. I have owned a roll-n-lock as well and it is a great too as well! I had that one from 03-16 and had zero issues. Based on the customer service alone the Retrax pro gets my vote. Either are excellent for a lockable trustworthy solution. Just know that with any of the canister style tops, you’re losing bed space.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Something I forgot to mention, look and compare the contact pieces, you do not want plastic PCs that lock into place, the two I’ve mentioned both have metal rollers running in metal channels and even come with (optional install) locking mechanisms for your tailgates. Make sure your back window isn’t blocked too. Good luck, hope I’ve helped you

Sent from above

So true... my concern on the BAK Revolver series... are those plastic sections ( 2" long each ?) along the bedrails that their locking collar grabs onto... roll up... roll out... roll up... roll out... and after a while I have to wonder how those hold up too.

I agree... Roll N Lock and Retrax look like the most secure.... just coming to grips with the price... :sigh: 

Thanks... your feedback has helped :thumbs:

Any recommendations for resellers?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fatkid24 said:

I have a Retrax pro. I love it! I was expensive but I will buy another one when I get a new truck. I found mine on Craigslist and it was the plastic one. I could never get it to line up closed properly or roll smoothly. I sent a video to Retrax and they offered a warranty replacement for cost. Then they offered to upgrade me to pro for cost. I did it because the pro is aluminum, it locks on both sides instead of only one and it is a great cover. I have owned a roll-n-lock as well and it is a great too as well! I had that one from 03-16 and had zero issues. Based on the customer service alone the Retrax pro gets my vote. Either are excellent for a lockable trustworthy solution. Just know that with any of the canister style tops, you’re losing bed space.

Thanks for that feedback on Retrax customer service re: their cost U/Gs offered to you... that alone gets them 'a look' and consideration.

and yes... the 1'x1' canister space requirement is the tradeoff for security.

So true... my concern on the BAK Revolver series... are those plastic sections ( 2" long each ?) along the bedrails that their locking collar grabs onto... roll up... roll out... roll up... roll out... and after a while I have to wonder how those hold up too.

I agree... Roll N Lock and Retrax look like the most secure.... just coming to grips with the price... :sigh: 

Thanks... your feedback has helped :thumbs:

Any recommendations for resellers?

I’d just wait, buying something like this isn’t something you should really settle for. Take a couple extra months and save up. Imagine parking somewhere with your luggage, coming back to find your cover was broken into and your stuff is gone and all because you settled. Check your local listings or even on the forums but you’ll never know exactly what you’re getting by buying used. I’d highly recommend saving up until you can buy one of the two and you’ll be enjoying it for many problem free years. Where are you located?

Sent from above

10 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I’d just wait, buying something like this isn’t something you should really settle for. Take a couple extra months and save up. Imagine parking somewhere with your luggage, coming back to find your cover was broken into and your stuff is gone and all because you settled. Check your local listings or even on the forums but you’ll never know exactly what you’re getting by buying used. I’d highly recommend saving up until you can buy one of the two and you’ll be enjoying it for many problem free years. Where are you located?

Sent from above

I initially liked the Revolver's low profile look... but kept looking at those segmented plastic sections rolling up each time in each demo video I watched... then saw the sealed bearings on the others.... night and day!

2 sites have 10% OFF right now on lots of covers... so it's a decent savings at the Retrax MSRPs... TonneauCover World and RealTruck

Over here in PA/NJ waiting for springtime to detail :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Roll N Lock is low profile too

8398eb8b1eeb37d8f94b280ff8663edf.jpg

Sent from above

Agreed... and as you said earlier... it simply comes down to preference of the look of each.

As I recall... the Roll N Lock only locks at specific stops along the length vs the Retrax being able to lock at any location?

• Like 1

Agreed... and as you said earlier... it simply comes down to preference of the look of each.

As I recall... the Roll N Lock only locks at specific stops along the length vs the Retrax being able to lock at any location?

That’s correct but, if it helps any, I’ve never needed it locked at any specific spot other than opened and closed but, that’s only cause other than it being opened or closed I’ve never needed it any other way. Another way to look at it, does the Retrax actually lock with a friction lock or like the Roll N lock with actual locking steel pins into holes in bed and optional tail gate too. Either way, both are best security covers that’ll perform excellent. Best to go compare the two, how they lock friction lock is when a pc of metal is pressed against the rail which is why it can be locked anywhere. Ok, good luck, both are great options, a little different but both are nick named the iron curtains.

Sent from above

I can answer that. It’s a friction lock except at the tailgate. It is locked into place at the tailgate. Roll-n-lock does lock in 4 spots, not friction style. That’s a good point. But I want to make sure that when it’s close at the tailgate and locked, it not friction, it’s locked securely.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I'm leaning towards the Retrax Pro MX... and today they announced a promotion on just that model of tonneau.

When purchased thru participating resellers till 4/15... a free SwingCase via a mail in process to Retrax.

FYI... if anyone else is shopping for a tonneau.

Also... I watched an install video for the SwingCase... I have to think there's some noise and/or vibration with them?... unless that latching system is super tight. Any thoughts?

Well I don't feel so bad with what I paid for my RnR. The Retrax people are real proud of their product also.

As for the Swing Case. Wouldn't work in my particular usage but if their throwing it in (?) why not.