Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Every time i fuel up I have a problem at the pumps. The nozzle shuts off when I am pumping and it takes forever to fuel up. What could be the problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an air vent that runs along the fuel fill pipe and allows air to escape when fuel is added. If clogged, the fuel fill could slow down as air tries to escape through the fuel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also seen where the vent valve (evap) is stuck closed, causing a filling issue,do you have air escaping (pressure)when you take cap off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks I will check it out sefiroxx. riverbanks I never really noticed if it did or not. I'll have to pay attention next time i fuel up. 

Edited by jser22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jser22 said:

Every time i fuel up I have a problem at the pumps. The nozzle shuts off when I am pumping and it takes forever to fuel up. What could be the problem?

 

Here is the way this system works. When you fill the truck you put the gas pump in #5 the fuel neck. Fuel goes into the tank #6 and then the pressure goes out to the canister#2 in pipe #9. The pressure then goes through the canister #2 and comes out the vent hose #8 and then out the vent #7.

 

If you're having a problem it is probably either the canister #2 (most likely) or the vent #7.

Here is the way you can check. Disconnect the pipe at #8 where it connects to the canister. Take it and get fuel. If it fills fine replace the vent. If it doesn't. Disconnect the pipe at #9 at the canister. Get fuel. If it fills fine, replace the canister.

 

Evap Canister - https://amzn.to/2W4hUTP

Evap Vent - https://amzn.to/2UCy9XG

 

Capture.JPG.052c6f1ac346b7f45ac3bad5d2a855e8.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The evap cannister is used to capture fumes when the system is sealed (gas cap on) and pressure needs to dissipate.

When filling, the air is released through #4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My '15 did that too, pretty much from the time I bought it, BUT my '18 hasn't done that, yet.  With my '15, it seemed like it would only do that with certain pumps.  16 pumps at a certain station, that I routinely use, and only (about) 4 of them never gave me any issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sefiroxx said:

The evap cannister is used to capture fumes when the system is sealed (gas cap on) and pressure needs to dissipate.

When filling, the air is released through #4.

The only time number 4 vents is when there is no fuel being put into the system and the pressure is so high that it actually pushes the tamper ball up allowing the neck to vent. Older trucks and cars without a tamper ball you are absolute correct. But on this vehicle when you fill it pushes the tamper ball in blocking off the neck vent. this makes it so it has to go through the charcoal canister and help with emissions. When the gas cap is on and you are driving. If for some reason (lets say the vent was stuck closed or the canister saturated with fuel from over filling) then the tamper ball would move up allowing the neck to vent so the fuel tank would not pressurize and split at the seams.

 

Difficult to fill

  • Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister restricted
  • EVAP vent valve stuck closed
  • Hose between canister and canister vent solenoid twisted or kinked if applicable
  • High fuel temperature
  • Fuel filler hose is kinked
  • Faulty dispensing nozzle
  • Ignition switch ON, vent valve closed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, carnau said:

 

Here is the way this system works. When you fill the truck you put the gas pump in #5 the fuel neck. Fuel goes into the tank #6 and then the pressure goes out to the canister#2 in pipe #9. The pressure then goes through the canister #2 and comes out the vent hose #8 and then out the vent #7.

 

If you're having a problem it is probably either the canister #2 (most likely) or the vent #7.

Here is the way you can check. Disconnect the pipe at #8 where it connects to the canister. Take it and get fuel. If it fills fine replace the vent. If it doesn't. Disconnect the pipe at #9 at the canister. Get fuel. If it fills fine, replace the canister.

 

Evap Canister - https://amzn.to/2W4hUTP

Evap Vent - https://amzn.to/2UCy9XG

 

Capture.JPG.052c6f1ac346b7f45ac3bad5d2a855e8.JPG

WOW.  Whatever happened to just filling up

the gas tank?

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I stopped to fuel up today and when I took the fuel cap off there was no air escaping from the tank. Also the other day I notice a hose the was cut in half under my truck. Where does that vent line run ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found everything from spider webs to selliphane wrappers in vent lines, have to inspect the vent lines for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's 3/4-1" then it runs up to the fuel fill on the side of the truck, if it's 1/2 or less then it runs forward to the evap canister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its smaller than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 11:17 PM, jser22 said:

Ok I stopped to fuel up today and when I took the fuel cap off there was no air escaping from the tank. Also the other day I notice a hose the was cut in half under my truck. Where does that vent line run ? 

Take a picture of it and post it on here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.