Leaving team GM with heavy heart

The new Rams are tempting, but then I remember FIAT/Chrysler. Before medical problems forced my retirement, I spent 25 years as QC/Engineering Tech, much of it the auto industry. The QC issues were well known at both companies before the merger/acquisition, I don't have reason to believe that the combination would have improved matters. Not to say that Ford and GM don't have issues now and again, but it seems systemic with #3

It's tough to make profit when you had to borrow x$. Only real way is to cut labor and source cheap parts. Hence all these stupid issues we see as the customer and reason why you get the run around. Like oh hey this new mystical fluid will solve your converter problems. Uh No!

1 hour ago, Rob Okray said:

It could be that everything is poop and we are are just fooling ourselves, but I really doubt it.

If everything on the table is poop, I’m gonna grab me a plate of the best looking poop to eat...:thumbs:

• Haha 1

Seems like a lot of people seem to be drawn to the ram because it has a huge touchscreen. Buy a truck because it has a big screen and that's it. HA! One of my friends is looking at new trucks he has always liked GM trucks. So when I asked him if he was getting another one he said "Looking at the ram because it has a big touch screen"  He dont even really like Ram...But hey it's got a big touchscreen. Good reason to buy one!! NOT!

• Like 2

Seems like a lot of people seem to be drawn to the ram because it has a huge touchscreen. Buy a truck because it has a big screen and that's it. HA! One of my friends is looking at new trucks he has always liked GM trucks. So when I asked him if he was getting another one he said "Looking at the ram because it has a big touch screen"  He dont even really like Ram...But hey it's got a big touchscreen. Good reason to buy one!! NOT!

Buy a Ram, get a free big touch screen, lol

Sent from above
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gagliano7 said:

I don't get the big touch screen. I t doesn't look good and you KNOW it will have problems down the road and cost a fortune to fix.

I agree! But people see it and are like "WOW" it's got a big touchscreen...

3 hours ago, Gagliano7 said:

I don't get the big touch screen. I t doesn't look good and you KNOW it will have problems down the road and cost a fortune to fix.

Looks just as good as any other infotainment setup imo, would be nice with the extra screen space too with my eyesight.

Like it or not features like that sell a truck on its own sometimes and shows just how much better dodge is at this today then gm, literally people will buy that 50+k truck because all the other makes were to cheap and lazy to update their own systems and lost a sale because of it, and times this by more than likely thousands! You can bet more than likely 4 years from now Gm will do the same but that seems to be their mo these days, which is follow not lead.

• Like 1

I have to admit.. If something were to happen to my 18, and i have to buy a new truck I would be buying a RAM over a GM.. I sat in one at a dealership awhile back , checked everything out and thought they are wayyy more comfortable and the interior has a better layout... My biggest hangup is the dial shifter, its just dumb.. But in my opinion i think the 2019 RAM looks much better than either of the 19s that GM came out with... 

Oh yeah, I really dislike the big touch screen on those rams anyway... Thats one option i would definitely not want

Although, I do have to say I do have thoughts about trading my Sierra in for a Durango SRT....cant wait to hear how you like it!... Seems like it would be a ton of fun and be able to tow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 3:12 PM, 1SLOW1500 said:

I have a million questions but maybe to late. Anyways the dodge is a good looker. But in my professional option if your a truck guy not going to.make you happy. I did a trailblazer ss for a short time because it was a brand new car give for free to me all I bought was gas. I hated it. Console small interior small. No bed to quick haul. It is a man van at best. 

I bet you the "issues" you state aren't even known by gm but rather the dealer that told you sorry not covered. And you accepted that and moved on. I have family in gm and in service and in customer service relations and promo and engineering and....well you get the idea. I have seen and heard of amazing deals they make for unhappy customers. They would blow you mind. Best is a Camaro z28 traded ever for a zo6. 

I have seen and know dealer can really hurt customer experience. 

Dont mean to sound like a a33hole but there is much to any warranty service. But I do hope you the best enjoy the new truck.

I understand where you are coming from,  I have seen friends and family get blown off by the dealership, but in this case GM does know.  The first dealership, the one where I bought it from, did blow me off eventually.  They did a couple attempts to fix the vibration, even had the GM regional engineer (not sure if that's the correct name for them) come out and lie right to my face saying the vibration is normal and due to the road not the truck.   Yet GM set a specific road force balance standard that is tighter than normal just to try to minimize the vibration.  Those same exact tires worked fine of other friends trucks, we tried swaping them.  When I called GM customer support they told me per the regional engineer the truck was performing as desired and there was nothing they could do.

The second dealership was actually pretty good about working with me and I was open about my mods.  I acknowledged that I knew my warranty was toast and I'd pay for anything they could do as if it was warranty work.  I actually got to spend over an hour talking to their master tech about the issues he's seen and what they've done to fix or try to fix them.  The axle vibration was never able to be fixed, just minimized.  The transmission clunking was "fixed" by doing a relearn, but it came back.  The torque converter shudder solution was to do a triple flush and change out the fluid with a new one.  That again was a temporary fix as it came back.  I wanted to order a new torque converter, but the master tech advised that with other trucks under warranty they basically throw parts at it as there is something up with tolerances.  Some times new parts are better, other times it's worse.  At this point I did not feel like paying for R&D that GM should have done.  I by no means am saying every truck they make is junk, I just happened to get a bad one and lost faith in the current GM's abilities.

• Like 2

I now have a 2017 Silverado LTZ, I inherited it from my dad that passed away recently and I can tell you first hand that my 2018 Ram feels like a better truck to drive. I've been driving both of them for the last two weeks. Is it a better truck who knows but it feels better to drive. I had a 2016 Ram before that and a 2004 Ram before that all with the Hemi had no trouble with any of them. I'm not putting down the Silvy at all it's a great truck and I'm definitely keeping it but the Ram has better throttle response, quieter more solid ride, factory dual exhaust, same gas mileage around 17mpg, more solid feel closing the doors, under back seat storage wells, crisper steering. None of these things are gonna keep me from not keeping the Silvy though, it was my dads and I'll adapt. I will be doing a few mods to it and making it mine as well as his. I was a GM guy all my life til my 04 Hemi Ram so I guess I'm back [emoji38]