Leaving team GM with heavy heart

you'll be back to GM, Fiat products leave a lot to be desired, I said F it and picked a 2nd play vehicle... a 2009 CTSV it checks all my boxes b/c I kept my 2016 truck for work, and CTSV for play. I will die in a GM, bury me in a GM casket. As a previous MB tech... I will never own a MB or any Fiat (Chrylser when MB owned them) so many issues that DIY guys can not fix at home, requires a dealership 

I am power-train guy 100%, it is my primary reason for any vehicle, no body beats GM engines, including cost of maintenance, total ownership, repairs, parts, servicing, overall longevity. 

As of last week I can now dealership program GM vehicles starting 2008-2017, at home on my laptop in my pajamas,  goodluck doing that on a FIAT. 

56 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I don't have any hatred for Toyota but I don't see why I should pay more for worse fuel economy and lower payload and towing. 

Not sure what the rules are in Canada, but the beauty part of living in the USA is that you do not have to unless you want too.

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

You do what you want but I refuse to buy a vehicle from the least reliable manufacturer on the planet. 

Thanks for your support in my buying decisions, not in the market for a Dodge (Ram) at the moment seeing how I drive a 18 Silverado, and my wife has a 16Tahoe. (Subliminal GM promotion there).

Noted: Do not ask you to ever buy a Dodge (Ram).

Edited by JimCost2014

Good luck with the Durango, not so much from a brand point of view, but from a change-in-vehicle-type view.  If the bed isn't needed, you'll appreciate the smaller size.

In the last 2 years, I've owned Chevy, Ram and Ford.  Bought a '17 Silverado DCSB Z71, and after numerous TC issues, vibration issues, the passenger headlight falling out of the truck on the way back from Florida (I'm in NY), and the sides of the BED being 1/4" different lengths (thereby not letting the tailgate open/shut without forcing the handle), I got rid of it after 12k miles for a '14 Ram Laramie CC with 50k.  I LOVED that truck; rode far better than any truck I've ever owned, and with the coil springs, still easily towed anything I needed to, as well as hauling 2k lbs of cement bags without issue (only 500 lbs more than my '84 S10 is rated to haul).  Took it to the Outer Banks twice in the 15k I put on it, scored the same mpg as the Chevy (despite having 50 more hp and a 3.92 rear instead of a 3.55), had far better build quality both inside and out, but still had that nagging chassis vibration.  At the end of the day, frames are just getting too damn stiff for the roads and cylinder shut-down harmonics (especially with larger cabs), and the trucks vibrate like a taught guitar spring.  It proved too much for me and I sold it for what I bought it for, and bought an '04 F150 supercrew FX4 with 140k 15 months ago (looks brand new).  The Ford is definitely the worst mechanically of the bunch (by 150k miles, I had the cams out in my shop for a complete timing system rebuild: chains, phasers, cam followers, lash adjusters, guides, tensioners, oil pump, P/S pump... it is a 5.4 3 valve, afterall) and the 4 speed automatic feels ANCIENT by comparison to the Ram's perfect ZF 8 speed, but it doesn't vibrate like the other two.  I miss driving a new truck, but I sure don't miss paying for it.

Edited by dukedkt442

11 minutes ago, dukedkt442 said:

Good luck with the Durango, not so much from a brand point of view, but from a change-in-vehicle-type view.  If the bed isn't needed, you'll appreciate the smaller size.

In the last 2 years, I've owned Chevy, Ram and Ford.  Bought a '17 Silverado DCSB Z71, and after numerous TC issues, vibration issues, the passenger headlight falling out of the truck on the way back from Florida (I'm in NY), and the sides of the BED being 1/4" different lengths (thereby not letting the tailgate open/shut without forcing the handle), I got rid of it after 12k miles for a '14 Ram Laramie CC with 50k.  I LOVED that truck; rode far better than any truck I've ever owned, and with the coil springs, still easily towed anything I needed to, as well as hauling 2k lbs of cement bags without issue (only 500 lbs more than my '84 S10 is rated to haul).  Took it to the Outer Banks twice in the 15k I put on it, scored the same mpg as the Chevy (despite having 50 more hp and a 3.92 rear instead of a 3.55), had far better build quality both inside and out, but still had that nagging chassis vibration.  At the end of the day, frames are just getting too damn stiff for the roads and cylinder shut-down harmonics (especially with larger cabs), and the trucks vibrate like a taught guitar spring.  It proved too much for me and I sold it for what I bought it for, and bought an '04 F150 supercrew FX4 with 140k 15 months ago (looks brand new).  The Ford is definitely the worst mechanically of the bunch (by 150k miles, I had the cams out in my shop for a complete timing system rebuild: chains, phasers, cam followers, lash adjusters, guides, tensioners, oil pump, P/S pump... it is a 5.4 3 valve, afterall) and the 4 speed automatic feels ANCIENT by comparison to the Ram's perfect ZF 8 speed, but it doesn't vibrate like the other two.  I miss driving a new truck, but I sure don't miss paying for it.

My friends love to ride me because I'm a gear head who for the past two truck's has poored money into them to make them go faster, stop quicker, and actually handle because I'm a sports car guy who has way to many uses for a truck. I tow a snowmobile trailer in the winter and a couple quads in the spring/summer/fall, so towing is a requirement for me.  I'm a do it yourself kind of guy so remodeling my bathroom and kitchen required the use of my truck bed constantly.  I'll always have a need for a pickup bed, but I bought a 6x10 utility trailer to compensate for losing the bed.

I've never had anything but a truck since college, but maybe it's time I try this whole sport SUV thing that's "engineered" as much as it can to be sporty and see if the inconveniences of having to pull a utility trailer to carry stuff in lieu of a bed is worth it.

I’m currently in the process of selling my 2015 Silverado. I get the itch every 3.5 years or so to get a new vehicle. No complaints with my Silverado.

I’ll be leasing a 2019 Ram Laramie this time around. I can’t convince myself to buy one with the reliability reputation of FCA.

GM dropped the ball big time on there new generations truck, there is nothing enticing me to get one, at all. I’ll likely be back to GM once they figure out how to design truck interiors and actually put tech in them that I want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dave07 said:

I’m currently in the process of selling my 2015 Silverado. I get the itch every 3.5 years or so to get a new vehicle. No complaints with my Silverado.

I’ll be leasing a 2019 Ram Laramie this time around. I can’t convince myself to buy one with the reliability reputation of FCA.

GM dropped the ball big time on there new generations truck, there is nothing enticing me to get one, at all. I’ll likely be back to GM once they figure out how to design truck interiors and actually put tech in them that I want!

It's sad you buy a truck based on the "tech"

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1

The Fiats certainly seem to have it in the looks department, the HEMI blows the doors off of an ECOTEC 5.3L in the GM Trucks... My concern with giving Ram, Dodge & Jeep a shot is two fold; they're owned by Fiat which is not an American company so the profits flow overseas and two: Chrysler products don't have a great reputation for reliability and longevity, if nothing else here in the northern states they rot out really young from salt on the roads compared to all other brands... If I was leasing my trucks yeah I'd give 'em a shot but, I drive about 25-30k miles a year and reliability is king for me and unless Ram & Ford can catch up to Chevy for longevity I will have a tough time jumping ship from GM...

16 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

The Fiats certainly seem to have it in the looks department, the HEMI blows the doors off of an ECOTEC 5.3L in the GM Trucks... My concern with giving Ram, Dodge & Jeep a shot is two fold; they're owned by Fiat which is not an American company so the profits flow overseas and two: Chrysler products don't have a great reputation for reliability and longevity, if nothing else here in the northern states they rot out really young from salt on the roads compared to all other brands... If I was leasing my trucks yeah I'd give 'em a shot but, I drive about 25-30k miles a year and reliability is king for me and unless Ram & Ford can catch up to Chevy for longevity I will have a tough time jumping ship from GM...

Biggest downside to FCA other than reliability is there resale value is total crap. Obviously all vehicles are depreciating assets but FCA is among the worst. 

22 hours ago, Crazypontiac03 said:

Biggest downside to FCA other than reliability is there resale value is total crap. Obviously all vehicles are depreciating assets but FCA is among the worst. 

Yeah you're right about that too....

It's sad you buy a truck based on the "tech"
Let's be honest, how many people really buy trucks for trucks these days in the general population? I drive around my town and every other house seems to have a truck. **** I barely use my trucks as a truck with the exception of hauling junk to the town dump or moving furniture for a friend.

People want the latest toys they see in a car more than anything. While I don't need or want everything some cars have for the price that this trucks runs for, it still would have been nice if they did add some features. The infotainment system on this truck has the style cue of a palm for the 90s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Let's be honest, how many people really buy trucks for trucks these days in the general population? I drive around my town and every other house seems to have a truck. **** I barely use my trucks as a truck with the exception of hauling junk to the town dump or moving furniture for a friend.

People want the latest toys they see in a car more than anything. While I don't need or want everything some cars have for the price that this trucks runs for, it still would have been nice if they did add some features. The infotainment system on this truck has the style cue of a palm for the 90s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Agreed! Payloads and towing capacities are damn near identical for any new trucks. So yes I do make my decision based on tech and other amenities as it is the only thing that differentiates these trucks anymore.

If the previous poster didn’t care about tech he would be chilling in a Tundra. Lots of truck there and lack of tech.

1 hour ago, dave07 said:

Agreed! Payloads and towing capacities are damn near identical for any new trucks. So yes I do make my decision based on tech and other amenities as it is the only thing that differentiates these trucks anymore.

If the previous poster didn’t care about tech he would be chilling in a Tundra. Lots of truck there and lack of tech.

I'm with you. I recently left the GM fold myself after 3 decades of ownership and blind loyalty. I just felt it was time to try something different after the debacle that was my 2014 left a bad taste in my mouth. I looked at every half ton on the market and in the end i wound up with a Ram Limited, it was simply the nicest appointed, most comfortable truck of the bunch. So far i am thrilled with the Ram.

Of my last 4 Gm trucks 2 of them were even remotely reliable and that was my 1996 and 2006.  The 2004 and the 2014 i owned were both problem children from minute one. The funny thing is i also ordered the 04 and 14 trucks built how i wanted them and the 96 and 06 were bought off the dealer lot. Maybe i should only buy GM truck with a year ending in 6 and only buy of the lot?

• Haha 1