Leaving team GM with heavy heart

I was actually on the way to buy a '14 Ram Big Horn CC with 72k miles, when I saw my '16 Silverado LT CC on a dealer lot along the way.  After having owned both (2 K2s and a '14 Ram Laramie), I prefer driving the ram.  The power delivery of the 5.7 is better IMO and the 8 speed ZF used in the Ram is the benchmark for modern transmissions, and the rear coil springs make a difference.  The entire truck felt more comfortable.  The one I was going to look at, though, had water stains in the headliner and when I test drove I found water in the rear under-seat storage cubbies; the '16 Chevy, with same mileage, was only $1500 more but includes an extra year of warranty (2022 vs. Ram's 2021).  The Ram's "Hemi Tick" is a wash with GM's AFM ticks; I'm of the personal belief that frequent OCI with a full syn and a dose of MMO will stave off either for many, many years, so we'll see.  I stopped being brand loyal years ago, after coming to the tough realization that the loyalty is one-sided.  Everyone poo-poo's Chrysler's reliability, from my arguably small sample size, every Chrysler product we've ever owned has outlasted the other brands, mileage wise; the Ram forum is littered with complaints, but no more so than this one.  Correlation doesn't equal causation, but around my area, the '90s-'00s Rams I see outnumber all other trucks combined 3-1.  Maintain the vehicle properly (by NOT following the manufacturer's schedule), and most any mechanical aspect of any vehicle today will go over 150k without issue (unless of course talking about a Ford 3v engine with will easily go 400k on original bottom end and heads, but will need an extensive tear down of the timing system to get there.  I've done a few of those... am I sick for beginning to enjoy the work?)

Good luck with the Durango... it certainly looks gnarly.  Chrysler has definitely always had the most fun with colors, packages, and powertrains.

I researched the crap out of Durango's when I was looking to buy two years ago. Spent months learning the packages, what to look for on trade in's, test drove a handful of local ones. had it narrowed down to three. Went off the rails at the last minute and bought a pick-up with only a few weeks of research. Had I read about the "Chevy Shake" at the time I would've passed.

Traded a basket case of a 2006 Trailblazer SS for my '15 SLT Premium Plus........I really like my truck, but honestly should've stuck to my research and went with the Durango. Really liked the "storm trooper" look on that platform. White with the blacktop and R/T package. Kinda hard to find, but look nice. The Hemi/ZF 8spd is a great powertrain combination. The chassis has roots in Germany, and hits above it's pay scale in performance.

Buddy at my last job had a brand new '15 R/T while I had my '06 TBSS.......we "compared" them a few times while driving to/from lunch. I would get him by about 3/4-1 length from 0-45mph, then it was a dead heat to far above legal speeds. My TBSS ran a 14.0@99mph bone stock, his R/T would be in the high 14's by our best guess.

Congrats on the new ride. Only thing I don't like about the new ('18+) Durango's is that damn hood scoop. Just a click too aggressive for me. Otherwise the styling is spot on!

Edited by 2kwik4u

13 hours ago, thetruck454 said:

She finally came in.  Reactor Blue with Demonic Red interior and Matte Vapor wheels.  Dodge sure does have some interesting names haha

Resized952019060595122346.jpg

Very Nice! 

Don’t feel bad about leaving GM. They’ve earned every lost customer with their multiple issues across most of their models in the last 8-10 years. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali and when this one is gone I won’t rebuy GM. 

As far as Dodge products.... I got this almost 2 years ago and it’s been perfect. Solid, well-built, and no problems at all. 

A633F938-44FE-4B7F-A043-1E9A9A223A54.jpeg

2A94D1B2-7C22-4A8A-B3B9-29F5998A9FBC.jpeg

Edited by RE1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RE1 said:

Very Nice! 

Don’t feel bad about leaving GM. They’ve earned every lost customer with their multiple issues across most of their models in the last 8-10 years. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali and when this one is gone I won’t rebuy GM. 

As far as Dodge products.... I got this almost 2 years ago and it’s been perfect. Solid, well-built, and no problems at all. 

A633F938-44FE-4B7F-A043-1E9A9A223A54.jpeg

2A94D1B2-7C22-4A8A-B3B9-29F5998A9FBC.jpeg

Nice, I bet that blower whine sounds divine!  I really wanted a Trackhawk bad, but between the massive price difference, the loss of practicality I just couldn't let myself do it.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd give an update.  So far I'm loving this thing and I'm not missing the truck bed what so ever.  This thing goes, stops, and handles like my truck never could.  Maybe one day when I "calm down" I'll get a truck again, but for now :devil:

InkedIMG_20190712_105742163_HDR-3000x2250_LI.thumb.jpg.fc021d7e5c9cb1ef2e42f6cd0b70d8fa.jpgIMG_20190705_140954575_HDR-1600x1200.thumb.jpg.b335bfe920d4bcbf34e3851233adbb8e.jpg

20 hours ago, thetruck454 said:

Just thought I'd give an update.  So far I'm loving this thing and I'm not missing the truck bed what so ever.  This thing goes, stops, and handles like my truck never could.  Maybe one day when I "calm down" I'll get a truck again, but for now :devil:

InkedIMG_20190712_105742163_HDR-3000x2250_LI.thumb.jpg.fc021d7e5c9cb1ef2e42f6cd0b70d8fa.jpgIMG_20190705_140954575_HDR-1600x1200.thumb.jpg.b335bfe920d4bcbf34e3851233adbb8e.jpg

Welcome back.

Good looking rig, saw a white one with black rally stripes last weekend, did not like the $75000.00 asking price though. New 2019 Dodge Durango SRT 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, thetruck454 said:

I really wanted a Trackhawk bad, but between the massive price difference, the loss of practicality I just couldn't let myself do it.

How much of a price difference was there?  Where Im at the Durango SRT is $70K (WAY overpriced) and the Track Hawk is $76K.  When spending that kinda money $6k is a drop in the bucket. 

3 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome back.

Good looking rig, saw a white one with black rally stripes last weekend, did not like the $75000.00 asking price though. New 2019 Dodge Durango SRT 1

It's definitely not cheap, but you gotta pay to play if you can afford it.

32 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

How much of a price difference was there?  Where Im at the Durango SRT is $70K (WAY overpriced) and the Track Hawk is $76K.  When spending that kinda money $6k is a drop in the bucket. 

I'm pretty particular so I always order my vehicles.  The Durango had an MSRP of $70k and I got it for $65k.  A Trackhawk optioned as similarly as I could was $98k.  The lowest I could get that was $84k.  That's a difference of $19k, outside my comfort zone.  I work hard to make good money, but I'm far from being independently wealthy.  Plus the cargo volume in a grand Cherokee is way to small for me.  I've had the middle row folded down and the whole area full on the Durango a couple times already.

3 hours ago, thetruck454 said:

It's definitely not cheap, but you gotta pay to play if you can afford it.

I'm pretty particular so I always order my vehicles.  The Durango had an MSRP of $70k and I got it for $65k.  A Trackhawk optioned as similarly as I could was $98k.  The lowest I could get that was $84k.  That's a difference of $19k, outside my comfort zone.  I work hard to make good money, but I'm far from being independently wealthy.  Plus the cargo volume in a grand Cherokee is way to small for me.  I've had the middle row folded down and the whole area full on the Durango a couple times already.

Did not like the $75000.00 MSRP on our 16 Tahoe either, did not pay that much, but they are getting expensive no matter how you look at it.

Glad you like your new hot rod!