When do trucks get updated interior?

7 minutes ago, Sierradude said:

Any word on updated interiors and putting de-contented features back on new trucks?

I honestly wouldn't hold your breath for it.  I would expect a new/updated interior on the next gen following the T1 whenever that comes out.  They dont really update interiors much during refreshes.  I have no official knowledge, this is just my opinion based on the past

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, z1boss said:

I honestly wouldn't hold your breath for it.  I would expect a new/updated interior on the next gen following the T1 whenever that comes out.  They dont really update interiors much during refreshes.  I have no official knowledge, this is just my opinion based on the past

Agreed. I think if they planned on adding anything in the near future, we would have seen it on the 2020 HDs. Maybe we’ll get a few new features by 2021...doubt it’s going to be anything major, and I certainly wouldn’t wait another year and a half to see if I wanted a new truck now!

Keep in mind the product cycles of full-size trucks are nothing like they used to be. You get 4-5 years out of a whole platform, so there isn’t much time or need to rework an interior between that. The last time an interior was completely changed over in a mid-cycle refresh was the GMT400s in the 90s, and that truck was made for a good 10+ years. 

What for? The interiors are great. Not as flashy as that car interior on the Dodge but it is a truck, extremely useful as such. Good materials that will be durable as opposed to flashy and worn looking in a short period of time. It is threads like these that make me realize you can't make everyone happy. They add new storage, features and tech and someone will complain about something a different version or another truck has and those people no matter what will never be satisfied or happy. The trucks are great, are there a few things they could have added? Sure, there are also things the other brands are missing, most importantly in the truck realm... 

Tyler

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2019 was the GM refresh of the Silverado and Sierra 1500 trucks. Not likely to see anything major for several years. GM is also again producing medium duty trucks and that has to take away resources from its light duty trucks.

14 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Agreed. I think if they planned on adding anything in the near future, we would have seen it on the 2020 HDs. Maybe we’ll get a few new features by 2021...doubt it’s going to be anything major, and I certainly wouldn’t wait another year and a half to see if I wanted a new truck now!

Keep in mind the product cycles of full-size trucks are nothing like they used to be. You get 4-5 years out of a whole platform, so there isn’t much time or need to rework an interior between that. The last time an interior was completely changed over in a mid-cycle refresh was the GMT400s in the 90s, and that truck was made for a good 10+ years. 

2003 was a pretty significant interior refresh for GMT800.  All new seats, and a new center stack structure.  Not an all-new interior, but again that was year 5 of an 9 year platform.

Unless they feel desperate to increase sales it's not very likely to see anything other than minor tweaks.

Edited by Daverado

I disagree some with the previous posts. GM wasn’t knocked so much from every corner on the interior of the past generations like this one. It’s a competitive market, GM missed it and all the influences in automotive media let it be known. It may satisfy return customers some, but you can’t deny the Ram sales increasing, and the universal praise their interior got. If the sales continue lackluster they will be scrambling to do what they can to get an edge. 

43 minutes ago, DTB said:

I disagree some with the previous posts. GM wasn’t knocked so much from every corner on the interior of the past generations like this one. It’s a competitive market, GM missed it and all the influences in automotive media let it be known. It may satisfy return customers some, but you can’t deny the Ram sales increasing, and the universal praise their interior got. If the sales continue lackluster they will be scrambling to do what they can to get an edge. 

I understand where you are coming from but I honestly love my interior and think it is way better than the previous gen.  I have also gotten nothing but compliments on the interior when showing different people my truck.  I think the ones who like the interior are not commenting and you are mostly seeing comments from people who dislike so it seems that everyone doesnt like it.  Also, I wouldn't give any of those automotive sites and magazines any weight as its ultimately just their opinion against someone elses.

Edited by z1boss
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, z1boss said:

I understand where you are coming from but I honestly love my interior and think it is way better than the previous gen.  I have also gotten nothing but compliments on the interior when showing different people my truck.  I think the ones who like the interior are not commenting and you are mostly seeing comments from people who dislike so it seems that everyone doesnt like it.  Also, I wouldn't give any of those automotive sites and magazines any weight as its ultimately just their opinion against someone elses.

Right but in the era where people spend countless hours doing internet research, with 4 out of 5 articles slamming the interior, including statements like “kick in the pants”, that’s not going to help bring in new customers. The new gen turned off some repeat customers, and hasn’t moved the bar much to bring in the new customers. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, z1boss said:

I agree somewhat. I personally love the interior in my AT4. Something else to consider when reading anything in the automotive media, a lot of what they write is skewed by AD revenue. Working in this business for over 30 yrs this has both helped and hurt my products. I take what they say with a grain of salt.  

• Like 2

The Ram does have some nice interior features and if that is by far the most important to you then the Ram may be a good choice. I chose an AT4 because while I liked the interior the main selling points were the driveline, exterior styling and fact that I have had good luck with my previous GMC trucks. After 4 months with it I am happy about the decision and don’t wish I had bought a Ram instead or Ford.

• Like 2

Like everyone else here I could have bought any truck I wanted. But I’m happy with the interior and I think the materials are better quality than my 16. They also added enough “wow” features in the higher trims to impress people. Everyone who rides in mine is completely amazed by the camera mirror, and I think the HUD is one of the most useful features on any truck. I have yet to have anyone ask me why I didn’t buy the Ram but would be happy to tell them!

That said, I’m sure some will still be swayed to the Ram. It is a bit lacking in performance and fuel economy so we will have to see what truck buyers care most about. I tend to think it’s NOT a frilly stitched leather interior and a 12” screen. I may be wrong.

Ford probably stands to lose the most ground to Ram. The F150, although improved yearly, is basically the same as it was in 2015. I’m not seeing a lot of excitement around it, and their drivers tend to break their neck looking at my Silverado...