New owner, coming from 2016 F-150 XLT with long bed to 2019 Silverado RST w/ Z71

New 2019 Silverado RST Z71 Owner Here. Be very gentle with me.

In 2012, I traded in my four-year-old Benz C300 for a mere $13,000. It kind of stung because I bought it at $39,000. I got a new Ford F-150 which was $39,000 but I bought it at $29,000. Four years later, in 2016, I traded it in for $24,000 for another F-150. Realizing trucks get better resale value, I am sticking with trucks.

Just now, I traded it in for a decent $30,000 for a brand-new 2019 Silverado RST Z71. The new Silverado was $10,000 off MSRP so that was a no-brainer for me, especially since this was an all-new 2019 model. I'm not into brand loyalty but there are brands I will not consider, even at $15,000 off MSRP. Hell, I'd disown my family if they drove certain brands.

One thing I'm going to miss is the keypad. I travel overseas a lot and leave my keys in the truck, using the keypad when I come back. I can't stand the thought of losing my keys when I'm traveling. The new Silverado can be unlocked remotely on my phone which is nice. And it also has keyless entry which I am not too fond of because it can drain the battery. I am looking into the Hitch Safe but I am not sure if it is a good idea leaving the key fob so close to the truck.

With the keyless start, is it okay if I leave it in the truck instead or will that drain the battery? Has Chevrolet designed it so that it won't do that? After all, it does warn me that I am leaving the key fob inside. Wouldn't that tell it to stop searching?

I used to think there was a sensor in the rear seat because the screen would remind me. Then I realized it was my actions that prompted the pop-up. It's a very thoughtful feature.

It handles well, better than my F-150, but it could be due to the RST Z71 trim. I am not into off-roading but do drive in snow and mud a lot being in Mexico and all that.

I am tempted to change the "Silverado" to "Cheyenne" like the Mexican version. Is it even possible? Has anybody done it? My friend changed his "F-150" to the Mexican "Lobo" and I liked it.

The picture is my new baby.

Silverado.jpg

Edited by Wiggums

Do not leave he fob in the truck or the hitch safe. It will continue to communicate with the truck and drain both the battery in the fob and the truck. You can turn off the rear seat reminder in the radio settings if you do not have to worry about forgetting your kids in the truck. :uhoh:

6 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

GM also sells an entry keypad you can add on and make it just like the Ford. You can find it for sale in the accessories portion of your app.

I looked into that but I am able to unlock it remotely so that's all good. I don't know how long I can leave it parked though. I just may start it every week for 15 minutes to keep the battery charged.. wouldn't that work?

7 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

I think you can only start it twice remotely before it needs the key to start, but don't quote me on that. 

Tyler

Hmm, back to the drawing board. How long does the battery last before the truck no longer has remote start or remote unlock? I suppose it consumes quite a bit of power keeping that open.

5 hours ago, Wiggums said:

New 2019 Silverado RST Z71 Owner Here. Be very gentle with me.

In 2012, I traded in my four-year-old Benz C300 for a mere $13,000. It kind of stung because I bought it at $39,000. I got a new Ford F-150 which was $39,000 but I bought it at $29,000. Four years later, in 2016, I traded it in for $24,000 for another F-150. Realizing trucks get better resale value, I am sticking with trucks.

Just now, I traded it in for a decent $30,000 for a brand-new 2019 Silverado RST Z71. The new Silverado was $10,000 off MSRP so that was a no-brainer for me, especially since this was an all-new 2019 model. I'm not into brand loyalty but there are brands I will not consider, even at $15,000 off MSRP. Hell, I'd disown my family if they drove certain brands.

One thing I'm going to miss is the keypad. I travel overseas a lot and leave my keys in the truck, using the keypad when I come back. I can't stand the thought of losing my keys when I'm traveling. The new Silverado can be unlocked remotely on my phone which is nice. And it also has keyless entry which I am not too fond of because it can drain the battery. I am looking into the Hitch Safe but I am not sure if it is a good idea leaving the key fob so close to the truck.

With the keyless start, is it okay if I leave it in the truck instead or will that drain the battery? Has Chevrolet designed it so that it won't do that? After all, it does warn me that I am leaving the key fob inside. Wouldn't that tell it to stop searching?

I used to think there was a sensor in the rear seat because the screen would remind me. Then I realized it was my actions that prompted the pop-up. It's a very thoughtful feature.

It handles well, better than my F-150, but it could be due to the RST Z71 trim. I am not into off-roading but do drive in snow and mud a lot being in Mexico and all that.

I am tempted to change the "Silverado" to "Cheyenne" like the Mexican version. Is it even possible? Has anybody done it? My friend changed his "F-150" to the Mexican "Lobo" and I liked it.

The picture is my new baby.

Silverado.jpg

Welcome to the community.  They do make a keypad for these trucks.  Below is the link to the GM part.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2019/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/keyless-entry-keypad-23473341?categoryId=12013

Wasn't there a way to enter valet mode on the K2's that would have put the whole truck in lower power mode to prevent the battery from draining? Not sure if that would carry over to the T1's but perhaps something to look into. Glad to have you by the way!

when going on long roads trips, i always take a spare fob, just in case. Ive found wrapping the key fob in aluminum foil and throwing it somewhere in the cab blocks it from being picked up by the vehicle. i haven't personally tried it with the 19 chevy, but it worked on my focus ST, 2007 vette, 370Z, and now my focus RS. I'm pretty certain it would work on this as well. haven't gotten to test it yet though. 

Foil, I'm going to try that, thanks for the advice. If I use the foil, do I have to wrap it so that it's wrinkled or can I just roll it in? Don't want to come home to a dead truck.

Great idea, never thought of that either. Having keyless entry is a new thing to me and I'm already reading about how far it should be away from cars. Now, I park on the street instead of the driveway.