Oil pressure low and moving, also mystery leak??

On my 2006 Silverado ext cab 4x4 with the large 6.0L vortex Maxx I started having trouble with oil pressure gauge. At first I simply thought was only days that it was lower then 10 degrees ferinheight outside but now it's over 60 out and still isn't right. When starting the truck I have below quarter gauge of pressure and once warms up few mins it will rise however now it will never go above half. Normal running last couple years it always ran around 3/4 with slight movement depending on driving n towing. Now it will sometimes randomly drop while driving to warning bell even ringing. I have no codes except for sometime MAF performance. My oil dipstick has been good last few times check. Also I run a full synthetic oil. I do however have small leak that I loose less then quart between oil change that I can't find. It's either the lines from motor to radiator oil cooler or the cooler itself. I haven't been able to pinpoint because large amount of lines n cooler are always wet with oil so can't tell what is coming out from where. Could use help on what should I check or do first such as is it likely my oil pressure sensor or does it sound like could be my oil pump causing pressure failure even when rev the motor some.

The pressure sensors get old and fail. I would check with a manual gauge, second I would replace the sensor. Sensors are known to fail and give false readings. Sometimes they register 40 psi and no more or less.

I’m not sure about the 6.0, but when I did my 5.3 it had a screen under the oil pressure sending unit.  Make sure you check to see if it has one or not because if it’s plugged up, that could be causing your low readings.  Most sensors completely fail when they go bad with either high readings, or no readings...which kind of makes me think it’s either a plugged up screen, or an actual mechanical issue happening.

Gen 3 engines like the guy posting do not have a screen.  That's a gen 4 afm engine problem only.

So Lil D's 2006 you DO NOT have a screen under your pressure sending unit so don't go on a wild goose chase looking for one.

If it's not the sending unit or the stepper motor in the cluster which it likely isn't it's the o ring on the pickup tube to the oil pump or the pressure relief valve in the pump sticking open.  Checking pressure with a mechanical gauge first is the safest bet.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

We had a 2012 Yukon 6.0 L that would loose oil pressure then warning light came on. 

Fix : a screen gets restricted with varnish and is located under the oil pressure switch behind the intake by the firewall. This reduces the oil flow to the sending switch causing incorrect ready. GM sells the screen/filter also replace the oil pressure sending switch at that time.